• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
Neither side able to get much rugby played. Ref has his work cut out - which means we can expect more whinging I suppose.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bubbling away, isn't it?

Murray clearly taken out in the air, then lots of handbags.
Always on the cards, wasn't it. Presumably the point of Erasmus's antics this week was to see what they could get away with if they put enough pressure of the match officials.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's a half of rugby that will be called 'physical' or 'bruising' in reports, though a similar one in the premiership without so much heft behind it might be called 'crap'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always on the cards, wasn't it. Presumably the point of Erasmus's antics this week was to see what they could get away with if they put enough pressure of the match officials.
Sad to say it does seem to be working somewhat.

Kolbe taking Murray in the air looked a pretty clear red to me, but the ref only brought out a yellow.

Might be completely coincidental, but one can't help but wonder if Rassie's rant was lurking in the back of the officials' minds.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
One longs for the days when '99' was a valid tactic in these circumstances. But I suppose it's not such a good idea when everything can be reviewed by the fourth official.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sad to say it does seem to be working somewhat.

Kolbe taking Murray in the air looked a pretty clear red to me, but the ref only brought out a yellow.

Might be completely coincidental, but one can't help but wonder if Rassie's rant was lurking in the back of the officials' minds.
They tend to rule yellow/red based on outcome when taking a man in the air, don't they? In which case it' yellow because Murray doesn't land head or neck first.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They tend to rule yellow/red based on outcome when taking a man in the air, don't they? In which case it' yellow because Murray doesn't land head or neck first.
They do, but I'm not sure if it's backed up by the laws as written.

I remember Daly seeing red v Argentina a few years back for taking a man in the air (I was present at Twickers to witness it) and from memory the recipient of his ham fisted tackle wasn't seriously hurt.

Had been drinking though and am hardly an unbiased observer, so could be wrong.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They do, but I'm not sure if it's backed up by the laws as written.

I remember Daly seeing red v Argentina a few years back for taking a man in the air (I was present at Twickers to witness it) and from memory the recipient of his ham fisted tackle wasn't seriously hurt.

Had been drinking though .....
You or Daly?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
While I’m happy SA win. Disliked both these matches as so little rugby being played. Lots of mistakes on both sides and much to much stupid nonsense and niggle.

Flem274*

123/5
It's just the usual cherry picking of decisions and spurious claims that 50/50 calls are wrong with little justification that you get from one eyed fans on Facebook. Delivered more articulately, but the basic spirit of confirmation bias and moan is very much there.

You could do the same thing for either team in most matches with good TV coverage. Just needs enough assumptions of being the wronged party.

I find whinging about ref decisions to be the absolute worst thing about rugby discourse, and the coaches encouraging fans to pile on the referees needs to be clamped down on. It just makes everything about following the sport unpleasant.
this post is the closest cw has ever come to r/rugbyunion

havent watched the rant because i cbf but union refs in general arent great and we dont want to get any closer to the nrl, where the melbourne storm can take a nap on a bloke with no issues but if a club with no money is a microsecond too slow it's 6 more.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Two major issues in Rugby refereeing.

There is way to many technical rules. These rules largely exist because an apparent problem is found in the rules and so they create a new rule to try fix. Hugely cumbersome and what happens is these rules are ‘open to interpretation’ ie some refs blow them some don’t and some blow them half the time.

Secondly, most of these rule fixes are because the actual rules are not enforced correctly. All the offside and entry rules at breakdown should be strictly enforced. The argument people have against this would mean that the ref would be blowing his whistle every ten seconds is nonsense, because players would then have to learn and stop doing it.

It is always eye opening to watch the 6 nations and then the 4 nations and see the refs interpret the same set of rules completely differently.

The best refs are the ones who penalize constantly and consistently for those little breakdown infringements because ten minutes into the game the players suddenly stop doing it. Almost like children testing boundaries!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The pictures look bad, I agree.

That said I didn't really notice during the game and neither did the officials, from the lack of any time spent reviewing it.

Current climate though it should be a citing and a few weeks rest.

Hogg's, ah, dental interface(?) with Bill le Roux's arm looks far worse though:

No place for that in rugby. Seen players get six months for similar.

Heboric

International Debutant
The pictures look bad, I agree.

That said I didn't really notice during the game and neither did the officials, from the lack of any time spent reviewing it.

Current climate though it should be a citing and a few weeks rest.

Hogg's, ah, dental interface(?) with Bill le Roux's arm looks far worse though:

No place for that in rugby. Seen players get six months for similar.
My broadcast I was watching hilighted the Itoje knee, but not the 'biting' incident.

Looking at that gif, the whole thing looks odd :lol: