• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ffs lazy ****s

Cricket Australia ‏@CricketAus 9h

The squad for #TheAshes will be announced tomorrow at 11:40AM AEST in Sydney. Who do you want to see selected? #ReturnTheUrn

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Talk around the water cooler suggests that Haddin will be vice captain for the tour and is being groomed as a potential number six.

My take on the 17..
Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Haddin
Wade
Siddle
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon
---------------
Smith
Khawaja
Faulkner
Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Agar

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe the possible squad Cricinfo gave and can only hope that won't happen. Marsh is absolute puss and I was glad to see the back of Haddin, the VC is not a huge deal, I don't see why they have to basically draft someone into the team just to fill it. Particularly when the guy is 35 and he won't be there long.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think we're aware it isn't 2001 but that doesn't mean its gotta be Marsh. I'm amazed that an injury prone has been who never was is being pumped for the ashes after averaging 19 in the last fc season. Amazed that a bloke who quivers under the short stuff is being suited up for a series against a team with one of the best pace attacks atm.

Just abt anyone else is better. Including Cosgrove. Whats wrong with him? In comparison to Marsh I mean. Is it bcos he's fat and unfit? Atleast he's fitter than Marsh. Is it bcos he's an opener? Whats the prob guys? Its not as if we have many options there either. Hughes is our no.3 not an opening option. Watson will be picked initially if only for his bowling. We need someone if Patpat or Starkers cark it. Cowan and Warner will open and we need a 6. Seems like that spot (or 4) is the path of least resistance for Watson's inclusion. So why not Cossie as the 3rd opener? Atleast he can score runs and get through a day without a boowa. Or just do the normal thing and pick Usman ffs. Or Rogers. Or Doolan. Even Ferguson. Anyone but Marsh. How lucky does he get? Unfit, out of form, can't play the quicks but gets Warne's tick and the selector's favour bcos he flogged a few in the form of cricket that is the worst possible guide for test selection. Forget Argus. We need a good old Stalinst purge.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Talk around the water cooler suggests that Haddin will be vice captain for the tour and is being groomed as a potential number six.

My take on the 17..
Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Haddin
Wade
Siddle
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon
---------------
Smith
Khawaja
Faulkner
Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Agar
Unless it's the Waca, MJ should never be selected to play the Poms again and Hilf is almost in the same boat

Harris & Bird are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>both

uvelocity

International Coach
if we can get the icc to adopt a two new ball policy, the playing of 4 or 5 openers in our team will be a strategy emulated all over the cricket world

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't there meant to be a A tour before the Ashes. Surely you would pick the Ashes squad after or during the the A tour and give everyone a chance of selection in the last couple spots. It looks like the A tour is just glorified tour matches for non ODI players.

Why pick a squad so far out?

I don't agree with Marsh's selection. If your going to pick Marsh on the back of one FC games and good limited over form. Then what about Khawaja good form during the season in his limited FC games as well. Even though he got shafted around by the selectors he was still one of leading runs scores in FC and limited overs cricket. Averaged high 30s and low 40s in all three formats. Yet because he doesn't score runs as fancy as Marsh, his runs don't have the same value.

But I do agree who ever they pick has more negatives then positives.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Unless it's the Waca, MJ should never be selected to play the Poms again and Hilf is almost in the same boat

Harris & Bird are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>both
Yeah that wasn't my 17. Just my prediction, I would definitely include both Harris and Bird in my ideal squad, I'd probably keep Hilf but not Johnson.

Spark

Global Moderator
Okay there are many reasons you could claim for Khawaja being shunted aside, but "aesthetically unappealing batting" is not one of them.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ok i was being a bit mean. Ireland and Scotland are two of the teams Aus A play. But the point stands, the Aus A tour was always about getting games into the non-OD players

But how long has there been an Australia A-South Africa A series, a mini Ashes if you will, on the books? Two tests against SA A in SA + some ODers during the Ashes.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well...yeah. that's what they are. I'd be horrified if two little crappy glorified county matches had any great impact on the Ashes squad...
Wouldn't you rather a player be selected on FC form, rather then just limited overs form. Which is likely to be the case if Marsh, Voges or Bailey get selected.

When you have about 4-6 batsmen and a few bowlers that are all about the same level. Wouldn't you rather give all of them an even chance for selection. Rather then just take a punt and hope they come good on the back of potential.

Why not think outside the square and pick the 10-12 certainties tomorrow, if you want to start planning early. Then pick the A squad and Champions trophy squad and tell the players if they want the last couple spot on the Ashes then perform on those tours.

It just seems to be that they are pick a squad for the sake it. There no rule that says you have to pick a final 17 at one point.

Also any good selector should be able to factor the quality of the opposition when it comes to standard of A-team opposition, compared to Champions Trophy, Shield or County Cricket.

Last edited: