• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha that's fair enough. Definitely not gonna be for everyone. I've seen a couple of other matches with the same ring set up where they use the explosion spots more as a stunt show, like taking a big bump off a lader. But this one definitely leans into the melodrama and scariness of it.

AEW ran one of these not too long back with Moxley and Omega, but I've not seen it, so not sure how that one would compare.
It was ok. It wasn't my thing and made me feel a little uncomfortable watching it, but it doesn't sound as brutal as the one you just mentioned.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Combat Toyoda vs. Megumi Kudo isn't particularly brutal tbh. I guess it is, but it's just an extremely good match. One of the great spots

Haha that's fair enough. Definitely not gonna be for everyone. I've seen a couple of other matches with the same ring set up where they use the explosion spots more as a stunt show, like taking a big bump off a lader. But this one definitely leans into the melodrama and scariness of it.

AEW ran one of these not too long back with Moxley and Omega, but I've not seen it, so not sure how that one would compare.
It was pretty good. The post match angle was a botch but I didn't really care about it (there was a similar post match angle botch relating to Jericho a few weeks later which I also didn't really care about). The actual match I would have as similar to Toyoda and Kudo with a big melodramatic post-match angle that didn't work but even if it did work I would have been meh about

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
oh wait hang on was that the one with the funny "explosion" botch at the end? I don't think I actually watched that one

I was thinking of the one they had shortly after Moxley joined AEW that involved that suplex off the stage onto the barbed wire bed thing (nasty)

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
It was pretty good. The post match angle was a botch but I didn't really care about it (there was a similar post match angle botch relating to Jericho a few weeks later which I also didn't really care about). The actual match I would have as similar to Toyoda and Kudo with a big melodramatic post-match angle that didn't work but even if it did work I would have been meh about
Thanks. I've seen clips of the (attempted) post match explosion but not the actual match!

Spikey

oh wait hang on was that the one with the funny "explosion" botch at the end? I don't think I actually watched that one

I was thinking of the one they had shortly after Moxley joined AEW that involved that suplex off the stage onto the barbed wire bed thing (nasty)
that was the lights out match from the start of aew in 19 when they were building up everyone (Bucks, Cody and Omega all lost on that show) and clearly wanted to showcase Mox in something like his original elemnt

Athlai

Not Terrible
The lights out match was pretty good, so was the exploding wire match (but obv the ending was a disaster)

Not amazing though. I'd say weirdly some of the best hardcore matches in AEW are Cody

Aritro

International Regular
Didn't Mick Foley take bumps through/in barbed wire in Japan? Swear I remember reading things about it.

Mike5181

International Captain
The lights out match was pretty good, so was the exploding wire match (but obv the ending was a disaster)

Not amazing though. I'd say weirdly some of the best hardcore matches in AEW are Cody
Best Friends vs. Santana/Ortiz parking lot brawl was awesome.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
12. Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy vs Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada, AJPW December 1988

An established trope in Japanese wrestling which I enjoy is the match up of top star plus junior partner vs two thuggish heels. This is a classic example. Kawada would go on to be one of the famous '4 pillars' of AJPW in the 90s but here he's the youngster in over his head against the larger gaijin wrestlers. The story is a simple but effective one: Can Tenryu overcome two tough opponents when his tag partner can't be expected to hang toe to toe with them for long.

This was also the winner-takes-all final match of the annual AJPW tag tournament, which in the 80s and 90s almost always delivered special performances.

20. Genichiro Tenryu vs. Nobutaka Araya, WAR Jan '98
19. Ric Flair vs Ted DiBiase, Mid South Nov '85
18. Shinya Hashimoto vs Genichiro Tenryu, NJPW Feb '94
17. Kerry Von Erich vs Jumbo Tsuruta, AJPW May '84
16. Andre the Giant vs Stan Hansen, NJPW Sep '81
15. Kenta Kobashi vs Yoshihiro Takayama, NOAH Apr '04
14. Takada vs Vader, UWFi Aug '94
13. Combat Toyoda vs Megumi Kudo, FMW May '96
12. Tenryu & Kawada vs Hansen & Gordy, AJPW Dec '88

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
11. Terry Funk vs Jerry Lawler, empty arena match, Memphis April 1981

This is another famous match that every fan should see at least once. Well, it's kind of a match, kind of an angle with a sort-of-match within it. Watch the whole thing anyway. Terry Funk and his brother Dory both lost matches (both highly recommended watches) in Memphis to the local hero Lawler and Terry isn't happy. He blames biased, hometown officiating (even though his match was no DQ and he ran away to lose by countout) and challenges Lawler to meet him man to man with no crowd or referees.

The segment starts with Lance Russell giving an introduction to the camera and he explains the set up in a wonderful dead pan style. First to arrive is Terry and he rants and raves about Lawler. He comes off totally unhinged and is a great match for Russell's calm, dry wit. King shows up late which further enrages Funk.

The 'match' itself is a short, violent bar fight. Lawler starts with the upperhand but Funk turns the tables by using weapons and starts screaming psychotically as he beats down on Lawler. In a famous spot though his tactics backfire and he injures his own eye, and he's left alternately wailing in pain and cussing out Lawler for doing this to him.

Lawler was the top star in Memphis in the 80s and he was awesome there. This isn't the best match to showcase how good he was, as this is totally the Terry Funk (and Lance Russell) show. But bonus points for turning up to an empty arena match dressed in full ring gear including crown.

11. Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk, Apr '81

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
10. Yuki Ishikawa, Alexander Otsuka & Munenori Sawa vs Daisuke Ikeda, Katsumi Usuda & Super Tiger II, BattlArts July 2008

BattleArts was a sort of quasi shoot style promotion which took the aesthetics of shoot style (more realistic strikes and move sets, no pinfalls) but still tells pro style stories in the ring, with traditional heel and face dynamics, rather than trying to mimic real fights. Ishikawa is the top babyface star, a veteran who will take implausible amounts of punishment and keep fighting. His chief rival is Ikeda who is a natural match for him since he is great at dealing implausible amounts of punishment, throwing the sort of nasty strikes that would make Shibata in his prime think "that's a bit much."

This is an elimination tag match and though it goes long it's an easy introduction to the style as it is packed full of action with clear stories to follow. The heels will swam their opponent any time they can get them to their corner and they don't waste an instant to rush in and break up any submissions that the faces attempt to apply. The faces suffer the first elimination and from there the remaining duo both get big moments to shine but their position is always precarious due to the numbers working against them. It all builds with a crescendo to an amazing finishing stretch, a desperate and violent struggle to win the match/survive as the time limit is almost up.

11. Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk, Apr '81
10. Ishikawa/Otsuka/Sawa vs Ikeda/Usuda/Super Tiger, Battlearts Jul '07

Spikey

Jericho signing up to do one of Kingston's King's Road tribute matches and even doing the job clean as a whistle sure is something

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love Jericho, he's probably my favourite wrestler of all time, but he's reached the point where he basically has go away heat with me at the moment

Him jobbing to Kingston was absolutely the right call