• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Aritro

International Regular
I'm loving AEW at the moment. After a two decade hiatus, I've found the promotion that's made me get into wrestling again. It's a wrestling nerd's dream with the 75-25 distribution of wrestling vs promos, and they've got a roster of good workers to make sure there's always at least one match to savour.

It just reminds me of old school, pre-Attitude era wrestling although I did love the Attitude era. I like that the angles are largely created in interviews and conventional promos, which comprise a mercifully small part of the show. The soap opera aspects of the Russo paradigm have been largely eschewed, which is a relief because it got more and more cringey after its initial success. You just can't have non-professional actors doing too much acting, it's hard to watch. The commentary being so focussed on the actual in-ring action makes a huge difference as well. It's such an essential part of ring psychology. I used to hate it when commentators in WCW and WWF would ignore the action to pump up the main angles.

Also the addition of Danielson and CM Punk have clinched my fandom. Not that I was watching wrestling when they were at the peak of their WWE fame, but I spent the last year catching up on classic matches and trying to get familiar with the standout workers from when I wasn't paying attention. I ended up focussing on those two during my Youtube binges - the (relatively) familiar presence of those two as well as the return of capacity crowds has fully got me hooked on it in a way it didn't quite before when I was dipping my toe in earlier in the year.

The crowds are ****ing rabid as well, which helps. You need crowds that are willing to suspend disbelief and embrace kayfabe for the two hours, otherwise it doesn't work. I love that the AEW crowds seem to hang off every twist in the matches and ooh and ahh when they're supposed to.

I have other observations, but I'm conscious that everything I've already said is 20 years out of date so I'll keep them to myself for now haha

Heboric

International Debutant
I'm loving AEW at the moment. After a two decade hiatus, I've found the promotion that's made me get into wrestling again. It's a wrestling nerd's dream with the 75-25 distribution of wrestling vs promos, and they've got a roster of good workers to make sure there's always at least one match to savour.

It just reminds me of old school, pre-Attitude era wrestling although I did love the Attitude era. I like that the angles are largely created in interviews and conventional promos, which comprise a mercifully small part of the show. The soap opera aspects of the Russo paradigm have been largely eschewed, which is a relief because it got more and more cringey after its initial success. You just can't have non-professional actors doing too much acting, it's hard to watch. The commentary being so focussed on the actual in-ring action makes a huge difference as well. It's such an essential part of ring psychology. I used to hate it when commentators in WCW and WWF would ignore the action to pump up the main angles.

Also the addition of Danielson and CM Punk have clinched my fandom. Not that I was watching wrestling when they were at the peak of their WWE fame, but I spent the last year catching up on classic matches and trying to get familiar with the standout workers from when I wasn't paying attention. I ended up focussing on those two during my Youtube binges - the (relatively) familiar presence of those two as well as the return of capacity crowds has fully got me hooked on it in a way it didn't quite before when I was dipping my toe in earlier in the year.

The crowds are ****ing rabid as well, which helps. You need crowds that are willing to suspend disbelief and embrace kayfabe for the two hours, otherwise it doesn't work. I love that the AEW crowds seem to hang off every twist in the matches and ooh and ahh when they're supposed to.

I have other observations, but I'm conscious that everything I've already said is 20 years out of date so I'll keep them to myself for now haha
Yeah same, I still have a thing for over the top heels. I would pay a lot of money to see in other sporting codes someone cuts a heel like promo, maybe at Lords cricket ground or something :lol: :lol:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

No Tony D'Angelo though may be their Achilles heel. #Forgeddabouddit

Athlai

Not Terrible
The wrestling gods give:
Shibata return
The wrestling gods taketh away:
Ibushi breaking his arm in the G1 final

Athlai

Not Terrible
Might be a golden age of wrestling coming. There's so many well known names out there and a few major companies happy to work anywhere with anyone.

olskoolattitude

Cricket Spectator
If you are looking for wrestling shows that are rare and unedited and uncut unlike the network, I found these dudes on ebay that now sell on unisquare called vintagewrestlingzone. They have tons of shows like velocity, raw, nitro smackdown, primetime wrestling and stuff like that. they have stuff from awa, ecw, tna, and other territories. if you are looking to own physical shows then i would suggest finding those guys. I built my collection because of these guys... they have so much content.