• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean a win over HHH would have still been a big deal and could have meant a lot. I've no idea how HHH could claim it was about getting Punk over.

It didn't matter though, he'd got the better of Cena clean, twice, and that's enough for a star to be made so **** HHH

andmark

International Captain
Vince is pretty renowned for his sheer hatred of superstars who get over with the fans "without permission". Haven't you heard about the infamous Zack ryder story?

Back in 2011, Ryder got himself a pretty good fan following through his YouTube show which he ran himself. Vince told Ryder repeatedly that he's destined only to be a lower card guy and wasn't good enough to be anything more. Ryder said, fine, no problem, atleast give me some TV time. Over that 2011 summer, Ryder's popularity started increasing and when he won the US title at TLC, the roof came off the place. Received an immense reaction. His gimmick was that he was the "Internet Champion"... was pretty fun and showed promise as a solid midcard guy with a good sense of humour.

Anyway sometime that summer, Raw was scheduled for his hometown and Ryder was hopeful that he'd get atleast a very short segment to go out there in front of his hometown fans. Vince being the complete **** that he is, decided that this was the perfect opportunity to "get revenge" on Ryder for getting popular with the fans without the higher ups actually pushing him. Vince had the writers prepare a very short "fake script" for Ryder and told him he'd be cutting short promo and would wrestle a 5 minute match. Zack was obviously delighted. Then, barely an hour before his scheduled timeslot on Raw, he was told "plans had changed", and when ryder went to Vince and asked why, he simply replied "I hate the internet". After that, Ryder hardly ever was on TV again and currently does catering backstage.

Some of this is pure speculation, but boy if even a shred of this is true, it just shows what a joke Vince's anti-bullying campaign is (which Punk mentioned in his pipebomb before the mic was cut off). The point is that even Punkw asn't ever supposed to be quite as big as he became. Vince saw him as an eventual main eventer, but the fact that he became popular enough on his own to reach Cena-level popularity pissed him off. And presumably HHH. Again, not everything about this might be factual, but it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me.
That's what I don't get with the "brass ring" stuff. It seems that someone's only grabbed that brass ring when Vince allows them to- which defeats the object of McMahon's point.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Question for you guys. Will him leaving further fuel the fire that he shouldn't have been the one that beat Taker / streak should never have ended?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think the point that the Streak got too big for its own good was a fair one. I mean, Undertaker is wrestling one match per year -- WrestleMania -- and you don't want it to be a foregone conclusion when there's still so many people for him to wrestle there and so few years left in him.

In terms of opening up a viable Sting vs. Undertaker feud at WrestleMania (which I can only assume they're going for next year), the Streak needed to end.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question for you guys. Will him leaving further fuel the fire that he shouldn't have been the one that beat Taker / streak should never have ended?
Nah not for me. His entire persona of this completely unprecedented, unstoppable monster was born that day (or atleast taken to a whole new level). Now, I didn't think I'd go through with it emphatically which is why I was totally hated Brock ending it at the time. But the last year or so has completely justified it. Doesn't matter if he leaves.

Hope he doesn't though :(

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I think the point that the Streak got too big for its own good was a fair one. I mean, Undertaker is wrestling one match per year -- WrestleMania -- and you don't want it to be a foregone conclusion when there's still so many people for him to wrestle there and so few years left in him.

In terms of opening up a viable Sting vs. Undertaker feud at WrestleMania (which I can only assume they're going for next year), the Streak needed to end.
Actually, the fact that it was perceived to be a foregone conclusion that Taker would win was what made the streak being broken that monumental. Maybe 5 people in the world thought Brock would win that day. I always believed it had to end... just didn't know how. It's the ultimate shock and awe moment and it would've been a waste if they had never done it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry if my question was vague, but I meant to the general wwe smark fan base, and not you personally. Will this piss more people off, or was it expected he'd live within a year or two anyway so the people who hated this decision knew this would happen so it's not like anyone is going to flip out.

OverratedSanity

Sorry if my question was vague, but I meant to the general wwe smark fan base, and not you personally. Will this piss more people off, or was it expected he'd live within a year or two anyway so the people who hated this decision knew this would happen so it's not like anyone is going to flip out.
Doubt it'll piss people off. Everyone loves Brock now anyway, and even if he leaves after Mania, I think there's a bigger chance that he'll get "Thank you Brock" chants than get boo'd. Sort of the opposite of the situation at WM XX I think.

It's common knowledge his original contract is up at WM 31, so it won't be a shock. I also think so many smarks have become so disillusioned with WWE anyway that lots of fans don't really see a wrestler leaving the company as a "betrayal" like they did a decade ago.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean prima facie Brock going now would be worse than last time, he's been put over way bigger than before. But the fact he's part time and we've all kind of been resigned to him not sticking round means that whole effect is softened.

There were a lot of internet complaints at the time he ended the streak though, on the basis he wouldn't be around long-term

The internet complains about everything though. There were complaints after last mania that they had ruined Bryan by booking him like Cena

**** em. Always enjoy whinging about the IWC, especially while taking my morning turd

andmark

International Captain
I would disagree with the whole use of and ethic in giving the streak to a part timer but I can't be bothered, so just giving this brief post to show an opposition opinion. Did that make sense?:unsure:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I mean prima facie Brock going now would be worse than last time, he's been put over way bigger than before. But the fact he's part time and we've all kind of been resigned to him not sticking round means that whole effect is softened.

There were a lot of internet complaints at the time he ended the streak though, on the basis he wouldn't be around long-term

The internet complains about everything though. There were complaints after last mania that they had ruined Bryan by booking him like Cena

**** em. Always enjoy whinging about the IWC, especially while taking my morning turd
Complaining about the streak being given to a part-timer isn't the same as other IWC complaints. even if someone agrees with Brock winning its not a ridiculous argument. There are great counter arguments (you needed someone like Brock to beat Taker at Mania etc.) but I can easily see how someone would rather it have not been lost to someone who doesn't care aobut the business that much.

Its all meaningless anyway tbh cos Brock has beaten Taker clean before in 2002 (I think) in a HIAC, so what if he happened to do it again at Mania :ph34r:

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Complaining about the streak being given to a part-timer isn't the same as other IWC complaints. even if someone agrees with Brock winning its not a ridiculous argument. There are great counter arguments (you needed someone like Brock to beat Taker at Mania etc.) but I can easily see how someone would rather it have not been lost to someone who doesn't care aobut the business that much.

Its all meaningless anyway tbh cos Brock has beaten Taker clean before in 2002 (I think) in a HIAC, so what if he happened to do it again at Mania :ph34r:
No tbf I think there were valid concerns raised which I believe have since been disproven, given the way they've ran with it and built from it.

I can understand objections like andmark's even if I don't agree.

Really, I just wanted to mention the Bryan thing and rant about the IWC, because I was on the can