• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Having thought about it, I now particularly remember what pissed me off about JBL being repackaged and immediately pushed into the main event.

There were a bunch of guys on RAW at the time, like Jericho, Christian and RVD who were all over; had all paid their dues; all were on the up and going places; and all should have been given the chance to step up to the plate; and all of whom were basically just sitting around on the midcard doing nothing.

Just stunk so much that JBL, who had never really been anything other than a very obviously midcard/tag-team brawler with no obvious star power or draw was just stuck ahead of these guys for no obvious reason. Connections with the McMahons I guess.

Edit: Booker T being another one who should have been given a chance.
I've never read much about it, but was it long-term planning? Have a heel that the fans absolutely will not got behind that loses the belt to the next big thing?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man how the **** could you like JBL's title run. Pretty much killed wrestling for me.
I picked from the off that Smackdown needed a heel to put Cena over at Mania. He fitted the bill and rumours were that Eddie wasn't doing well as Champion. Just rode with it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've never read much about it, but was it long-term planning? Have a heel that the fans absolutely will not got behind that loses the belt to the next big thing?
I'm sure that's what they would argue if you presented them with my post, and maybe they'd be telling the truth.

The problem though, was that for me as a fan I just hated the whole thing. I didn't hate the angle or JBL because he was a ****, I hated it because I thought he was ****.

Him becoming WWE champ was pretty much exactly the same time that Smackdown took a massive downturn and became genuinely crap for a few years as well iirc. I think it was about then that Orlando Jordan showed up, and the Bashams, and Simon Dean and a load of other dross.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I picked from the off that Smackdown needed a heel to put Cena over at Mania. He fitted the bill and rumours were that Eddie wasn't doing well as Champion. Just rode with it.
Eddie was doing fine as a champion. But he himself wasn't sure he could handle the pressure of being the top guy for too long and agreed to drop it. There were still so many better candidates than JBL though. I didn't even mind him being champ for a while but he held it for almost a year. Painful.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Simon Dean was truly "Heh" worthy. Along with Armando Alejandro Estrada.
Simon Dean was just terrible. Just about the best example of the WWE taking an ECW guy who was a genuinely gifted worker and totally wrecking him by saddling him with a truly horrible gimmick/character and burying him week after week.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Boogeyman showed up around then as well. Another example of absolute wrestlecrap. Guy could barely work a match ffs, but nevertheless went over Booker T at Wrestlemania.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh worthy in the worst possible way. There's no way a gimmick like that could have legs.

edit: Talking about Dean.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Heh worthy in the worst possible way. There's no way a gimmick like that could have legs.

edit: Talking about Dean.
Yeah, I agree. That said, your post is equally applicable to Boogeyman as well.

Similar things could be said about Matt Striker's (who also showed up around then iirc) evil school teacher gimmick. Brilliant way to totally waste a guy who could have added so much value to the company.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boogeyman showed up around then as well. Another example of absolute wrestlecrap. Guy could barely work a match ffs, but nevertheless went over Booker T at Wrestlemania.
Booker started his king Booker shtick after that Boogeyman rubbish iirc. Booker speaking in an English accent with a "court" comprising of Queen Sharmell, Sir William Regal, Sir Finlay... that **** was amazing :laugh: