• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool B Discussion

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Anil, give the Canadians some credit...:) ...I told you all that they're a pretty decent team....
Mate, I have nothing against the Canadians and I do give them credit for pulling off this victory. I just don't agree with terms like "big upset" against "mighty test nation" etc etc....I am sorry, I have always held the opinion that Bangladesh was given test status prematurely and that opinion is reinforced by each miserable performance they come up with, that's all.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Bangladesh getting test status so easily after having made Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe struggle to get there, and ahead of Kenya is a mistake that is going to embarass the ICC for a long time to come.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This group is getting interesting. WI beat SA, then lose to NZ who in turn lose to SL.......It's going to be a close race for the top 3 spots with NRR coming into the picture prominently, methinks.

anzac

International Debutant
NRR would be my one criticism of the NZ win - that they did not either finish WI off sooner than the last over, and that they allowed them to get to 20 of the target, both when they had them at 6/80 in the 21st over!!!!! This is especially when NZ will be 4 points short not playing in Kenya!!!!

:(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I expect SA to go through. SL, on current form look like they will go through, provided they don't lose heavily to SA and/or WI. The scrap for the third spot will be very likely between WI and NZ and the forfeited match could cost NZ dear.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I don't think Sri Lanka have much form. They were woeful in the VB Series and you have to remember that was Bangladesh. Who already lost to Canada.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
yeah sirlanka should go through - especially with Chaminda Vaas bowling like that
Vaas, right, did that great performance, yeah great, against Bangladesh who managed to loose to Canada...oh and that 8-19...against a very very dis-organised Zimbabwe side. He's yet to do anything of note in a WC against the big teams. It just seems that he does well against players who can't play swing.

Bazza is indeed right about Sri Lanka, they have not performed for a while against the top teams, although now is the time for that to start.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Vaas, right, did that great performance, yeah great, against Bangladesh who managed to loose to Canada...oh and that 8-19...against a very very dis-organised Zimbabwe side. He's yet to do anything of note in a WC against the big teams. It just seems that he does well against players who can't play swing.

Bazza is indeed right about Sri Lanka, they have not performed for a while against the top teams, although now is the time for that to start.
They just beat NZ, didn't they? That's a start.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:

Credit where credit's due, mate. Hat tricks are special, and should be prized very highly indeed, no matter who the opposition are.

I played for 30 years (ok, not at a very high standard at all) and the nearest I ever came was 3 in 4. I would gladly have given up every one of my centuries (ok, I only made 2 of those, so let's say I'd give up one of them) just to be able to say "yes, I ONCE took a hat trick".

You're proud of your cricketing achievements, Rik - they're part of your sig - and fair play to you. Let Chaminda Vaas have his moment.

Mind you, I bet I'm the only Cricket Web member with a 300 game in tenpin.

:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Credit where credit's due, mate. Hat tricks are special, and should be prized very highly indeed, no matter who the opposition are.

I played for 30 years (ok, not at a very high standard at all) and the nearest I ever came was 3 in 4. I would gladly have given up every one of my centuries (ok, I only made 2 of those, so let's say I'd give up one of them) just to be able to say "yes, I ONCE took a hat trick".

You're proud of your cricketing achievements, Rik - they're part of your sig - and fair play to you. Let Chaminda Vaas have his moment.

Mind you, I bet I'm the only Cricket Web member with a 300 game in tenpin.

:P
Yes the guy took 2 hat-tricks and well done, it's a great feat. The closest I've got is 4 in an over, (1 2 4 and 6) during my best figures of 4-8. But saying that Sri Lanka will do well just because he's destroyed weak opposition is something else all together. I mean look at Zimbabwe, they racked up 340/2 against Nambia but I don't see anyone saying they will go far or that Craig Wishart, who thrashed them around the Harare Sports Club Ground to the tune of 172*, will be the star of the World Cup...

Anyway just play football, hat-tricks are easier that way 8D (especially if you get bored of being a defender like I did and go up and goal hang for a bit :lol: )

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
luckyeddie said:
I got 3 in 4 balls spread across three different games...

Game 1 = My last over ends Wicket - Dot
Game 2 = Horncastle are 39-9 when I come on. First ball skied to mid on
Game 3 = First ball slammed down the throat of cover

Unfortunately, that was four years ago, and I've only got 9 other wickets, ever...

Rik - Chaminda's feat has never been accomplished before, that's why he's getting more praise than Wishart, as a big score has been done before.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:

But then you wouldn't be able to say "I've scored centuries"

Centuries sounds more impressive than "I scored a century"

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Rik - Chaminda's feat has never been accomplished before, that's why he's getting more praise than Wishart, as a big score has been done before.
Yup but the fact remains, they both did it against poor opposition, even Gary Kirsten who has the World Cup Record high score of 188* scored it against the UAE (United Arab Emirates) who were described in the Benson and Hedges Cricket Year 1996 of "scarcely being club standard"...(although they did beat Holland)

Last edited:

Legglancer

State Regular
Well Played NZ, Great come back to beat SA ! Little help by Duckeoth/lewis though. South Africa
bowling has been pretty ordinary and below expectations. They have to pull up soon.

Also I have to congradulate the the Canadian team inspite of their defeat to Kenya, they have played with a lot of conviction. Their lack of international experience was highlighted in the game against Kenya. Hopefully tthey will get more exposure in the future !

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right. This is a thread about Pool B. That's South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Kenya and Canada.

NOT England, NOT India, NOT Australia, and DEFINITELY NOT Agarkar!

I have split this thread, if any of you fancy continuing a discussion that's been had more times than Warney's took stuff...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
True there Neil. If they still can't understand sense the 3rd time this arguement comes up then they sure as hell won't understand even if we go on for the next 100 years. I have given fair answers to every one of their questions and all they do is claim all they are trying to do is bring sanity to this board, which they do anything but. Can one of the mods just delete this if it comes up again because I'm not the only person to have had enough of it.

Choora, for your information, the topic was started by a West Indian by the name of Liam Camps (forum name Mr Mxyzptlk) and the reason we mention AA so often is because it's a running joke with us because we actually enjoy a laugh sometimes. If you didn't get it then then you will never get it.

TOPIC CLOSED

Choora

State Regular
Same way AA's ton against England is a joke on England's bowling with us, we actually enjoy a laugh sometimes. If you didn't get it then then you will never get it.

Topic Closed!