• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

FRAZ

International Captain
What a weak team this SA is ? How the heck Graeme Smith got out and how the hell minnows got passed 150 !
Booooo SA !!

haroon510

International 12th Man
i can't belive they left out azahr mahmmod for rana navid. i am sure azhar would have batted well with malik and the total would have been much higher.
the pcb is being so generous with hafiz. we all know his bad form but he is being given chances again and again. he is going to play the world cup also. in Sa he didn't even made a fifty in any of the matches. guys like farhat and hamid are out of world cup squad despite scoring runs. very unfair selection.

with that bating line up espacially if hafiz is going to open with nazir in all the matches pakistan has no chance to even qualify in super six round.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Do we have any good ODI players any more? Like seriously, I can't think of any one of our players right now besides Yousuf whos been any good in the last couple of matches.

irfan

State Captain
Pathetic performance by Pak. And they better not use the "we lost our equipment so couldn't prepare properly" excuse either! :@
I hate to think 'typical Johannesburg airport' but there is a bit of history. We're still hoping the stuff will turn up but time is running out and we need the equipment to have any hope of being prepared," Woolmer said. - From cricinfo

Sorry Fusion. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i can't belive they left out azahr mahmmod for rana navid. i am sure azhar would have batted well with malik and the total would have been much higher.
the pcb is being so generous with hafiz. we all know his bad form but he is being given chances again and again. he is going to play the world cup also. in Sa he didn't even made a fifty in any of the matches. guys like farhat and hamid are out of world cup squad despite scoring runs. very unfair selection.

with that bating line up espacially if hafiz is going to open with nazir in all the matches pakistan has no chance to even qualify in super six round.
Hafeez is a good opening batsman, form or not.

I keep reading in various threads how Pakistani cricket supporters just want the selectors to pick a pair of openers and stick with them for a while. Well it seems they've done that with Hafeez - so even if he isn't your first choice, you got your wish in a way. The fact that these young opening bats get dropped every time they lose form is exactly why you don't have a settled opening pair who is an automatic selection.

Hafeez is being picked on his ability, not his form. It's a good thing IMO.

Oh, and it's Super Eight now.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Hafeez is a good opening batsman, form or not.

I keep reading in various threads how Pakistani cricket supporters just want the selectors to pick a pair of openers and stick with them for a while. Well it seems they've done that with Hafeez - so even if he isn't your first choice, you got your wish in a way. The fact that these young opening bats get dropped every time they lose form is exactly why you don't have a settled opening pair who is an automatic selection.

Hafeez is being picked on his ability, not his form. It's a good thing IMO.

Oh, and it's Super Eight now.
Tell me one thing about his ODI record that would imply that he has the ability required. And sure its great to say your going to stick with a guy, but why the hell would you pick the player with the worst record and stick with him.

Hafeez is a good opening batsman in Tests. His recent form in ODIs isn't really the reason that one would have beef with his selection, but rather that he has never been particularly good in the format.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see South Africa romping to another series victory, they look very strong ahead of the World Cup.

FRAZ

International Captain
Good to see South Africa romping to another series victory, they look very strong ahead of the World Cup.
I was reading a comment by Mxyzptlk and he chose SA as the favorites to win the WC . I know it was a pretty strong statement but my judgement lead me to back Australia and Srilanka . SA might have been quite successful recently but they are potential chokers on those sorts of wickets . Australia to lift the cup or Srilanka (If Murali and Vaas play) ........ Pak will get out in the super 8's and India might end up in the same fashion . England may also choke as they are supposed to . Aus ,Sri , WI and NZ to reach the semis and Aus to win ....

haroon510

International 12th Man
Tell me one thing about his ODI record that would imply that he has the ability required. And sure its great to say your going to stick with a guy, but why the hell would you pick the player with the worst record and stick with him.

Hafeez is a good opening batsman in Tests. His recent form in ODIs isn't really the reason that one would have beef with his selection, but rather that he has never been particularly good in the format.

agree with u
what is wrong with giving yasir hamid another chance. his one day record is good and he isn't in bad forum. he wasn't given a chance to play in one day matches. opening with yasir hamid and nazir and bringing malik down to number 3 with younis, yousuf, and inzi followed. or opening with malik playing yasir hamid in the position where he is good at number 3.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan have named 5 reserve players for the WC

Salman Butt
Azhar Mahmood
Mohammed Sami
Shahid Nazir
Zulqarnain Haider

IMO Rehman should defienetly be there in front of Nazir.That is really harsh on him as he has done well in his short career.

pup11

International Coach
Look guys basically cricket in this series was one-sided so that was really a shame. But the black out during the game is really one thing that would go done as one of the highlights of the series;-).

shortpitched713

International Captain
Pakistan have named 5 reserve players for the WC

Salman Butt
Azhar Mahmood
Mohammed Sami
Shahid Nazir
Zulqarnain Haider

IMO Rehman should defienetly be there in front of Nazir.That is really harsh on him as he has done well in his short career.
Pakistan need pace bowlers though, tbh. Although Shahid Nazir is a little :blink: . Personally I would rather have gone with a young gun like Yasir Arafat.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Pakistanis are slow learners, i have been saying since long that Butt remains their best bet for opening along with Malik, yet they initially ignorged him for WC squad, and when Nazir and Hafeez flunked in the final onedayer, they realised that they probably need Butt in the WC and hence has named him in the reserve list.

Now i guess if two or more players get injured and replacement are needed then Butt will get a place into the team

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pakistanis are slow learners, i have been saying since long that Butt remains their best bet for opening along with Malik, yet they initially ignorged him for WC squad, and when Nazir and Hafeez flunked in the final onedayer, they realised that they probably need Butt in the WC and hence has named him in the reserve list.

Now i guess if two or more players get injured and replacement are needed then Butt will get a place into the team
TBH, being a slow learner is better than the neighbor to the east who learns not at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Another baseless statement from SS? Nooooooooooooooo.

In terms of selection, and running through players and then forgetting about them 6 months later, I think India haven't done too badly. Not like the PCB anyway.

Can anyone actually tell the difference between Hameed, Umar, Butt, Farhat and Hafeez? They've all blended into one player.

Note: the last comment was said in jest.