• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand 2020/21

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Distressing to hear about Ferguson, with all that T20 cricket this summer he’d have featured in plenty of games, but who knows what this means in the long term. NZ are a lesser side without him in the World Cups if he can’t make those.

Right call on Taylor IMO, while he’s still capable of doing a job in T20s, there’s a logjam for spots and likely more upside to having Phillips and Conway in the lineup.

nzfan

It's really disappointing we're not going to see much of Ferguson this season. Glad Taylor was dropped for his own good from T20s but don't appreciate the comments from Larsen in reaction to his dropping. Best just to say nothing, the man is a legend. The best you can do is say nothing and say we have to move forward as we think this is the team for the future. Saying he's old, he's got to fight it out in the super smash blah blah... Show some respect to the man, he's got nothing to prove. He did that like 10-15 years ago.

I have to be honest neither Phillips or Seifert or Conway can hold a candle to Rosco right now so don't put them all in the same bracket. They may well do in future but for now please don't... A little elegant statement would have best suited when you move on a legend.

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
Low-key hoping:

1) Milne has a fantastic bbl and forces his way into the aus and banger t20s. He is the only like for like replacement, unless you wanna chuck in ben sears but he might be too green at the moment. Other posters who think he's quality please chime in. Can only see Ferguson making it to the India next year as the extra pace guy even if he heals up right on time and has no matches under his belt. He's quality.

2) Kuggelejin bowls serious heat, takes a few wickets and hits a few boundaries. Anyone who can even get close to what ferg can do should be licking their chops right now.

3) Best scenario....ferg's injury isn't too serious after all. But even Larsen didn't seem too confident in his words.

Moss

It's really disappointing we're not going to see much of Ferguson this season. Glad Taylor was dropped for his own good from T20s but don't appreciate the comments from Larsen in reaction to his dropping. Best just to say nothing, the man is a legend. The best you can do is say nothing and say we have to move forward as we think this is the team for the future. Saying he's old, he's got to fight it out in the super smash blah blah... Show some respect to the man, he's got nothing to prove. He did that like 10-15 years ago.

I have to be honest neither Phillips or Seifert or Conway can hold a candle to Rosco right now so don't put them all in the same bracket. They may well do in future but for now please don't... A little elegant statement would have best suited when you move on a legend.
Agree with the above, just that Taylor just hasn’t been all that great in T20s. Legend in other formats for sure but IMO a bit fortunate to still be in serious consideration for the T20 side. But yes, a bit more class from Larsen and co. needed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
3) Best scenario....ferg's injury isn't too serious after all. But even Larsen didn't seem too confident in his words.
Larsen did say something about hoping that it would be weeks rather than months. If it is a stress fracture then I'd be more hoping that it's months and not years.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh oh, I see Tauranga has plans to string fine 25° ones in a row, as we'd feared. Jamieson's looking utterly undroppable and it'll be Michael Bracewell debuting at 6 on Boxing Day, if the ol' Mount doesn't cool down.

vandem

International 12th Man
Uh oh, I see Tauranga has plans to string fine 25° ones in a row, as we'd feared. Jamieson's looking utterly undroppable and it'll be Michael Bracewell debuting at 6 on Boxing Day, if the ol' Mount doesn't cool down....
Reminder of McConchie's scores for NZ A vs WI at Queenstown: 124*, 3-130.

(Yes, I know Ravindra bowled better for NZ A in the same game, and that McConchie's wickets were #7 8 9).

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
^ it means both regular openers are out.

Two out of Haider Ali , Abdullah Shafique & M Hafeez will open the innings.

Shadab Khan will Captain Pakistan , the 1st such stint in his intl. career. He captained IU in PSL2020

nzfan

I was starting to think we are a bit thin for the first game and Pakistan are a pretty good T20 unit. Yes Conway, Phillips, Seifert have gone well vs WI but Pakistan will be a tougher opponent. Barring fielding (maybe they have improved since I last saw not sure) their bowling and batting on paper looks quite good. Now with Babar out of the T20Is I think we may be slight favorites in the first T20I as well.

I do think Pakistan's batting is way better than WI but again in our conditions and in Chirstchurch they'll be tested. Bay could be a different proposition though and I do think Pakistan will be a tougher opponent particularly in the first test match.

nzfan

I am a fan of Misbah–The Test Captain , not Misbah–The Head Coach.

Is that because of the statement made by health ministry? Honestly Misbah shouldn't be the one talking about it, the chief of board or someone from the administration should be making statements IMO. He shouldn't handle these matters. I think the Pakistan players are a bit too emotional. After seeing how Akthar reacted on youtube and hearing from Misbah about calling off the tour I think they're needlessly bit too emotional. They should let it pass and focus on cricket. If they did return it will have been like their decision to protest not coming out of the dressing room and umpires conceding the game as forfeited few years ago. Purely your own loss, making the trip all the way and also having the freedom to roam around freely without masks and none of that. All they had to do was adhere to quarantine for few days early on.

Shan Masood seems to be the best bloke to speak about these matters. They should front him up for public speaking on behalf of the team. He looks like well studied and knows to convey properly the thoughts without getting emotional. Some of the players that toured UAE couple of years to play Pakistan A did mention that he's unlike other Pakistani players. He's outgoing, very articulate and comes across as very level headed.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
the t20 series is a lottery tbh. both sides missing half their first choice team.
Yeah , Babar is ruled out. Fakhar is in Pakistan. Shadab carries Groin Injury. His participation in T20 series is in doubt.

NewZelanders are without Ferguson & Kane(for 1st T20 only)

nzfan

Still trying to understand the rationale behind having Todd Astle in the T20s mix. He's not bad at all but that's not what I'm getting to. If Ross Taylor's age was a concern as pointed out by Larsen then what's Astle doing in this team? He's 34, not 24.

He's bowled as many as 11 overs in T20s in the last two seasons including domestic and international.

1607891823193.png

Happy to give credit to NZ selections and management in general but I can't quite figure how Todd Astle ended up in the T20 side. Does coming from Canterbury help the cause :laugh:

nzfan

Duffy finally gets the due, he's been brilliant in all formats over the last 2-3 years. Been around for ages as well making his debut as a 17 year old for Otago way back. Barring maybe one game (the semi finals of super smash last year) where Ronnie Hira took on him and Nathan Smith to win from an improbable position he's been rock solid for Otago. The dude can hit a long ball too.