• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In ODIs I can't see how anything else is true TBH.

He's played 22 games in lieu of the ongoing series, 13 of which could be called poor, 7 good, and 2 so-so.

This is a very poor career to date. And 22 games spread over 5-and-a-half years (OK, he's had one long-term injury in that time) - and this is with 6 out of the last 7, so 16 games over 5 years - is hardly awe-inspiring for a team who play as much as Pakistan.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Hes had a long term injury thats hasn't seemed to give him any more trouble since his return.

He has the potential to be the greatest old ball bowler of all time, and is capable of doing anything that one could ask of a seamer. Gun.

haroon510

International 12th Man
and Richard perfer shabbir over gul lol ? right

i can't seem to find a reason why shabbir isn't in the team yet...

haroon510

International 12th Man
how do u guys think pakistani bowling line up will look like?

cosidering that the pitches would be spin.. will pakistan play two spinners (danish and rahman) or go with three fast bowlers (umar, shoaib, asif) and a spiner (danish/rahman)?

for the first test i think pakistan should go with this line up

shoaib, asif, gul and kaneria and they should play afridi also.. his spin bowling would be plus with his bating...

they should have rahman in the team also.. if kaneria didn't perform, rahman in for him..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He's never scored ODI runs. Never. And he'd never scored them in domestic cricket while others had. Awful, awful selection.
The thing is, Richard, list A ODs in India are NOT what you think them to be. They are played in a pretty poor standard ground, most of the time, with red balls and white clothes and nothing is really similar to the international game... The Ranji trophy takes a good 2 to 3 months but this tourney, if you can call it that, gets over in 15 days, 3 or 4 games within your zone and if you qualify, 2 or 3 games in the knock out stage and that's it... It is hardly anything to measure a player by. It is improving in the last couple of years, but before that, it was a joke and one should NEVER go by those stats. I can think of AT LEAST a few players who have had even worse List A records who went on to be good for ODIs for India...

Not saying DK is world class in ODIs or anything, but just pointing out that generally, the List A stats from India don't and shouldn't mean much.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain

shoaib, asif, gul and kaneria and they should play afridi also.. his spin bowling would be plus with his bating...

they should have rahman in the team also.. if kaneria didn't perform, rahman in for him..
Pretty much spot on.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
and Richard perfer shabbir over gul lol ? right

i can't seem to find a reason why shabbir isn't in the team yet...

Shabbir career is probably over, he had too many problems and i don't think he can make a come back. Gul record may not be great, but the important thing is that he has impressed most of the ppl lately and has the potential to do very well in future.Thats the reason why Pakistan need to give him a long run rather than discard him foolishly by just looking at his stats .

Last edited:

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
how do u guys think pakistani bowling line up will look like?

cosidering that the pitches would be spin.. will pakistan play two spinners (danish and rahman) or go with three fast bowlers (umar, shoaib, asif) and a spiner (danish/rahman)?

We have seen how the duo of Kaneria and rehman has performed against SA. Rehman isn't a match winning test bowler, while Kaneria is highly overrated and is proving to be a spin version of Mohd Sami.
Keeping in mind Indian spin wkts and Afridi's past performance against India(and his recent good show), i would say that the second spinner should be Afridi who also should be the fifth bowler in the team rather than the fourth bowler.This practically mean that Pakistan should go one batsman short and have Akmal do the keeping and opening the innings.

My team would be,

Butt
Akmal
Younis
Yousif
Malik
Misbah/Asim Kamal
Afridi
Akhtar
Gul
Asif
Rehman/Danish

I would prefer Asim over Misbah and Rehman over Danish.However i think both Misbah and Danish will be in playing 11.

I can safely predict that the highest run scorer for India would neither be Sachin,Sehwag or Dravid but that person would be Danish P Kaneria.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard how can you say Gul is rubbish? Unbelievable claim. He's going to become a very very good ODI bowler, and he's well on his way already.

pup11

International Coach
Gul is nothing special but he is very much an improved bowler especially in Odi cricket he has picked up an extra yard of pace and he swings the ball too, so i don't think he should rated as rubbish!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard how can you say Gul is rubbish? Unbelievable claim. He's going to become a very very good ODI bowler, and he's well on his way already.
I don't see how one can be close to certain about that; he might, obviously, but his career to date has been extremely poor indeed. He's certainly not well on the way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is, Richard, list A ODs in India are NOT what you think them to be. They are played in a pretty poor standard ground, most of the time, with red balls and white clothes and nothing is really similar to the international game... The Ranji trophy takes a good 2 to 3 months but this tourney, if you can call it that, gets over in 15 days, 3 or 4 games within your zone and if you qualify, 2 or 3 games in the knock out stage and that's it... It is hardly anything to measure a player by. It is improving in the last couple of years, but before that, it was a joke and one should NEVER go by those stats. I can think of AT LEAST a few players who have had even worse List A records who went on to be good for ODIs for India...

Not saying DK is world class in ODIs or anything, but just pointing out that generally, the List A stats from India don't and shouldn't mean much.
Success might not mean much, but how is it possible for a failure to be a better bet than a success?

Who are these players who've done poorly in domestic-OD cricket in India who've ended-up ODI successes?