• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Plus I don't think we'd want to have a batsman (Borthwick, or whoever) coming in for one or two tests to prove their case for the winter tours. Apart from Trott in 2009, I don't think that's ever gone well, and that was a totally different situation anyway.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Plus I don't think we'd want to have a batsman (Borthwick, or whoever) coming in for one or two tests to prove their case for the winter tours. Apart from Trott in 2009, I don't think that's ever gone well, and that was a totally different situation anyway.
Trott didn't even end up doing particularly well on that winter tour, he only secured his place by smashing runs all over the place the summer after.

It's fun hearing Nasser tear into Botham's criticisms of Pakistan's early day 4 bowling.

Compton

International Debutant
Sky's live commentary should just be Nasser and Athers all day. Botham and Warne can sub in for piss breaks, but never at the same time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I do like it when the commentators disagree on whether to bat or bowl first - generally leads to good cricket, and less moaning about the toss

Howe_zat

Audio File
A lot of motivation to keep Hales at Sohail's end. Nice drive first up but he was already in position for it and didn't move his feet at all. Christ knows where it'd have gone if it were angled across him.

Compton

International Debutant
Hales is an interesting one, 10 matches with no century and averaging under 30.

Are the question marks over the likes of Vince/Ballance protecting him from being under pressure, or is it simply a lack of faith in any other county openers?

Niall

International Coach
To channel his inner Siddle one would suppose...
Different beast though. Siddle a fit lad, Sohail most certainly isn't, was absolutely knackered for the second innings. I would have dropped him .he won't do anything to help Pakistan win this test, while to be fair he is better off been rested in preparation for the ODI series where is a game changer.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hales is an interesting one, 10 matches with no century and averaging under 30.

Are the question marks over the likes of Vince/Ballance protecting him from being under pressure, or is it simply a lack of faith in any other county openers?
It's 3 things.

1. Yes on the former. Also he scored a fair bit against SL which helps.
2. Almost every county opener who looked like a test player at one stage has been tried out - Compton, Carberry, Robson, Lyth. They all had similar results and averaged 25-30. There's a lack of will to keep the merry go round going. Possible replacements are now a different generation to these guys, people like Bell-Drummond have plenty of time to make their case, particularly on a Lions tour if possible.
3. Hales has been a limited overs fixture for some time and there is a desire to produce an all-formats player (that I agree with). Part of the Lyth selection (and Moeen opening in the UAE) was to wait for Hales to be ready. That didn't really happen, he got picked at the wrong time, and he is being given an extended run to make his case properly.