• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Renshaw seems to like batting in PM XI's. Last year 81 and 101* and now 111*

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I prefer Renshaw over Bancroft I'm pretty sure this is not true.

In Shield Bancroft averaged 59 last year and 57 this year. Yes he did poorly in 4 County games and 2 Aus-A games but that doesn't drop him below Renshaw who's averaging 31 in shield this year (plus he had the nightmare in India)
Give me a sec and I'll find the numbers. Bancroft was 1700 odd runs at 46 and renshaw was 1450 at 56 when renshaw was on 40 odd earlier today

Kraken

International 12th Man
In this "bat-off" Renshaw has faced more balls than Bancroft and Harris combined. Looks like the future Aussie top 3 will all be Qlders 😀

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne
Uz is from NSW, but sure

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly don't see this game as overly meaningful tbh. The pitch is so **** and the attack thoroughly pedestrian that it's hard to weight these runs too seriously so long as you spend a decent amount of time at the crease.
You may well be right here, the whole bat-off narrative thing probably carries more weight to the media than anyone else

Which is still dumb, but in a different way

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
However, I have always deeply loathed the concept of having a "bat-off" for Test selection, making such an important decision should not at all come down to such a small sample size
I'm 50/50 on it

Sample size is an issue obviously because so much luck is involved in batting especially, but on the other hand it's a great way to test performance under pressure/when it matters. If you're picking a guy to play high stakes Test cricket or big games then you want someone who will perform when it's most important. Saying "this is it, whoever scores most gets the spot" creates that sort of pressure.

You could have a Graeme Hick that dominates over a long period but can't handle the big stage, but you'd rather pick Travis Head who you know will win you the game when it matters

TheJediBrah

Or you can have a situation like in 2002/03 when Justin Langer/Jimmy Maher were having an Aus A bat off for the position of back-up keeper/bat in the World Cup squad, and Jimmy ran Langer out and then ended up making 100 booking his spot lol

good memories

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just glad you have finally came around tbh

Or you can have a situation like in 2002/03 when Justin Langer/Jimmy Maher were having an Aus A bat off for the position of back-up keeper/bat in the World Cup squad, and Jimmy ran Langer out and then ended up making 100 booking his spot lol

good memories
The true best Jimmy ever to play international cricket

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ton up now for Renshaw

A bit torn in a way, on one hand I think he is just a better bat than either Bancroft or especially Harris, so him being picked to replace Warner when he goes based off this wouldn't be a bad result taken in isolation. However, I have always deeply loathed the concept of having a "bat-off" for Test selection, making such an important decision should not at all come down to such a small sample size
Yeah it's dumb.

Obviously if it's close then every game counts, but one game - especially when it's not a Test - really shouldn't be such a factor in anyone's opinion, especially when we're talking about batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You may well be right here, the whole bat-off narrative thing probably carries more weight to the media than anyone else

Which is still dumb, but in a different way
Oh I'd play it up in the media too if I was working for them. Absolutely creates drama and something to talk about. Selectors need to be more thoughtful though.

TheJediBrah

Funnily this is actually a really good pitch to have a "bat-off" on* IMO

It's so dead and **** that you can only really get yourself out so it's a good test of temperament

* :ph34r: