• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I agree. Even during that bad patch around the wc/ashes he didn't look out of form to me, I honestly thought he looked pretty good, particularly in that 1st ashes test. Just kept on having brain fades after getting in.
Nobody denies that tests are hard but nobody outside the Marsh family believes that Mitch has a higher ceiling than Green either

I find it strange/shortsighted that they have rushed him in as a replacement

Starfighter

I hate to somewhat agree with the silly people on a certain other forum when it comes to the fast bowling, but if you are going to take mediocrities with little test experience to Australia, you may well try take taller, bouncier types.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Personally I don't think Green's suited to number 6 at all in Tests. While capable of aggressive play he typically starts slow. He has shown some success at international level (across all formats) so I don't think it's a mental issue. In limited overs formats I think he's been impacted by being shunted around the lineup and not having an opportunity to establish himself.

I think position 6 is even more of a problem playing for the current Australian line up where at home or on flat pitches the top 5 typically have 350+ on the board before he gets a bat. There's very little upside in that situation. Otherwise the only opportunities he gets are typically when the top 5 are in trouble with barely 150 on the board. He has batted quite well in partnerships with Khawaja in those situations but not otherwise.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think green hit that one he got given out on, TBH. Sounded like bat hitting the ground but I could be stupid.

Edit: That was also pretty synyonyms of his international batting in this slump. When he gets in he finds a really stupid way to get himself out.

Last edited:

social

No concrete evidence for this but it doesn’t seem like the selectors really want Bancroft & would welcome an alternative

Renshaw can put himself in the box seat here

Starfighter

The oughta just try some declaration bowling and get in some more batting practice. All the bowlers have had a decent run so they're not learning anything.

ashley bach

International Captain
Personally I don't think Green's suited to number 6 at all in Tests. While capable of aggressive play he typically starts slow. He has shown some success at international level (across all formats) so I don't think it's a mental issue. In limited overs formats I think he's been impacted by being shunted around the lineup and not having an opportunity to establish himself.

I think position 6 is even more of a problem playing for the current Australian line up where at home or on flat pitches the top 5 typically have 350+ on the board before he gets a bat. There's very little upside in that situation. Otherwise the only opportunities he gets are typically when the top 5 are in trouble with barely 150 on the board. He has batted quite well in partnerships with Khawaja in those situations but not otherwise.
He's probably got the ability to claim the spot but he seems hell bent on playing all out defence.
Cam you're a ****ing giant, get your foot to the pitch of the ball and smack the **** out of it.
But nah he's happy to continue plodding along at a strike rate equal to none other than Jacques Kallis.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
In this "bat-off" Renshaw has faced more balls than Bancroft and Harris combined. Looks like the future Aussie top 3 will all be Qlders 😀

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
In this "bat-off" Renshaw hasfaced more balls than Bancroft and Harris combined. Looks like the future Aussie top 3 will all be Qlders 😀

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne
Renshaw also averages 15 more than Bancroft and 20-25 more than Harris in the past 12 months of fc cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
In this "bat-off" Renshaw has faced more balls than Bancroft and Harris combined. Looks like the future Aussie top 3 will all be Qlders 😀

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne
Even if you don't think strike rates/attacking play matters that much in Tests, you have to say that Khawaja Renshaw Labuschagne Smith is not the world's most captivating top four now that Smith too is batting at a crawl a lot of the time in Test matches.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Renshaw also averages 15 more than Bancroft and 20-25 more than Harris in the past 12 months of fc cricket.
As much as I prefer Renshaw over Bancroft I'm pretty sure this is not true.

In Shield Bancroft averaged 59 last year and 57 this year. Yes he did poorly in 4 County games and 2 Aus-A games but that doesn't drop him below Renshaw who's averaging 31 in shield this year (plus he had the nightmare in India)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ton up now for Renshaw

A bit torn in a way, on one hand I think he is just a better bat than either Bancroft or especially Harris, so him being picked to replace Warner when he goes based off this wouldn't be a bad result taken in isolation. However, I have always deeply loathed the concept of having a "bat-off" for Test selection, making such an important decision should not at all come down to such a small sample size