• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Kippax said:
Tama Canning has a FC ave. of 23, Shane Bond's is 28. Which do you want bowling for NZ?
Chris Harris has a FC ave. of 46, Hamish Marshall's was 27. Which do you want batting for NZ?
Fulton has a FC ave. of 50. Given the examples above, is it worth the paper it's written on?

QUOTE]

I think we need to establish that these are exceptions. Otherwise team selections become a lottery. In general, good domestic form is the best indicator of international potential.

And with Bond, he was ordinary prior to his emergence. However, he impressed on a NZ A tour just prior to being sent to AUS as cover, I think. Therefore, it was not simply a brilliant gamble on an untested player.

This supports the policy of promoting form players, and not just rating potential on those with good long-term averages. But you could say Fulton now has both.

Last edited:

Ming

State 12th Man
anzac said:
maybe - maybe not - his FC stats are good - Av = 24, SR = 59, Econ = 2.4.........

however all I'm trying to say is that players should not be discounted for both forms of the game..........and team balance in both batting & bowling is important..........
I just can't see how NZ could play a 120km/h medium pacer in Canning in Tests.

anzac

International Debutant
Will Scarlet said:
Fulton was injured for a few games in the middle of that tour. He was called up for the BAN ODIs and was dropped after one game, after being forced to open!

As I've said previously, Bracewell wasted a perfect opportunity to trial new players on the BAN tour, before AUS, but instead chose to take a full strength team that predictably destroyed their opposition. It only served to improve Bracewell's win/loss ratio!

What was the point in this? Consequently, no new players were brought through in time for either the home and away series vs AUS. Hamilton, How (despite his poor form in SA), Fulton, and others could have been tested then, to provide potential backup when required.
hell yes - agreed 100%..................

it would have been confidence building for new batsmen (even tho' BAN bowlers have performed well - it's their batting that lets them down as a side IMO).............
and ideal for new seam bowlers to go to the school of hard knocks on unresponsive pitches to learn the importance of line & length & bowling to set fields...........something we are sadly lacking as exposed in this series - duh!!!!!!!

anzac

International Debutant
so far as Canning & Tests are concerned - ordinarily it would not be a consideration & I'm not saying it is or should be now.............

however IMO there are circumstances when such a player should not be dismissed out of hand - when you want to take the sting out of the pitch / utilise the slowness of a pitch, or to provide a tight line & length & good eco rate at 1 end while someone like Butler blasts away from the other end...........it's called balancing your attack with the resources you have.............

atm I'd seriously consider just about anyone who can bowl a good line & length consistantly, adjust as required & bowl to set fields - so long as the entire attack didn't consist of medium pacers!!!!

Ming

State 12th Man
Seriously, I can't see what bowling qualities that Canning possess that Nathan Astle can't offer. In Tests, Canning/Astle are an equal option, and in ODIs, I would definitely favour Astle.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
so far as Canning & Tests are concerned - ordinarily it would not be a consideration & I'm not saying it is or should be now.............

however IMO there are circumstances when such a player should not be dismissed out of hand - when you want to take the sting out of the pitch / utilise the slowness of a pitch, or to provide a tight line & length & good eco rate at 1 end while someone like Butler blasts away from the other end...........it's called balancing your attack with the resources you have.............

atm I'd seriously consider just about anyone who can bowl a good line & length consistantly, adjust as required & bowl to set fields - so long as the entire attack didn't consist of medium pacers!!!!

It didn't work when we played Larsen in one test - but then again Heath Davis and Michael Owens aren't exactly the men to "blast" at the other end.

:laugh:

anzac

International Debutant
Voltman said:
It didn't work when we played Larsen in one test - but then again Heath Davis and Michael Owens aren't exactly the men to "blast" at the other end.

:laugh:
yeah - I wasn't suggesting that we should be looking to go that way - just thinking aloud re a possible lineup combination for the SRL series and not necessarily THE combo that'd be 1st on my list................the primary criteria being ability to bowl line & length etc as I outlined earlier, and then pace & aggression to balance against the lack of the same........

in reality I'd like to see more of O'Brien, and would have the likes of Wilson & Hamilton ahead of Canning (along with the likes of Mason, Adams, Butler, Tuffey etc) - injury & form providing...........

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
If Adams plays for Auckland this weekend and performs well I'd put him in the third test. After all, he took 6 wickets in his only test (I think) against ENG and helped NZ win the test and draw the series. Deserves another go. Additionally, he can bowl reasonably quick, has the attitude needed to face AUS, and can bat a lot better than O'Brian or Martin.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't. Adams is one of those players who needs to be continuously playing.
There's no way i'd expect him to step-up against Australia on the back of just 1 FC match in over 2 months.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Tim said:
I wouldn't. Adams is one of those players who needs to be continuously playing.
There's no way i'd expect him to step-up against Australia on the back of just 1 FC match in over 2 months.
But he took 10 wickets in one his last matches didn't he?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats all very well, but the point is..that was almost 2 months ago!.

There is a difference between taking 10 wickets against an NZ domestic side & doing the same thing against Australia.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Tim said:
Thats all very well, but the point is..that was almost 2 months ago!.

There is a difference between taking 10 wickets against an NZ domestic side & doing the same thing against Australia.
True, but most NZ FC bowlers don't even manage that.

I didn't say he would do the same against AUS. I'd be happy with him taking 4 wickets in a test against them.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
One change to the Otago team.

Offspinner Will Somerville comes into the team for the useless Marcel McKenzie.
Hopkins and Eathorne to go up one position in the order.

Somerville to fit in around 9 or 10.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Otago has made one change for its final State Championship match against Wellington at the Queenstown Events Centre on March 22.
Will Somerville, an attacking off spinner who played firstgrade cricket in Sydney before moving to Dunedin to study in July last year, gets his chance after strong performances for the Otago second XI during the provincial A tournament earlier this season. He picked up 14 wickets at an average of 27.
Think he is a Uni Grange player.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I've never heard of this guy Somerville. Whats his background?

Neither had I - and I know pretty much all the guys going around in Dunedin senior cricket up until a couple of years ago.

Apparently he's an offie - he played for a season or two in Aussie and now he's back here.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The media are starting to push the cases of James Marshall, Peter Fulton, Jesse Ryder & Ross Taylor big time.

An article in the Herald today said Ryder would probably be in the Black Caps by the end of the year.
Im not sure Ryder has done enough this season to be included though. I think Peter Fulton is probably the only one who deserves to be there on volume of runs.

But seeing Zimbabwe are our next opponents its hard to see the selectors resisting the temptation to take at least 2 of the 4 mentioned...me thinks it will be Fulton & Marshall.

bryce

International Regular
shane bond just hit a maiden first class century(100) and gary stead made his career best first-class score(190), the other games seem to have suffered rain delays