• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NRL 2006 Thread

Craig

World Traveller
If you get sent off you get a 0.

Obviously if you get sin binned once or twice in a match your rating will drop.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blewy said:
WOW... has anyone ever got a 1 or a 0?? I reckon Daniel Fitzhenry might have a few...
yeh when players get early injuries they score lower and s/o etc...

my only concern with the RLW system is that if you miss a couple of games with injury it makes it hard to win the award, someone who plays all 24 games and plays solidly is a better chance of winning it than someone who plays 18 games and plays a whole bunch of blinders and maybe a couple of average games...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Cameron Smith didn't even go that good in the RLW award did he? I know Hindmarsh won, but I seem to recall a couple of players who were infront of Smith. From what I saw and read, Smith was the best player of the year, so I dunno.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith certainly deserved the Dally M, players like Hindmarsh, Kennedy and Johns are all favourites of the Sydney media and they generally get a lot more praise an recognition than they deserve and hence win these awards, was good to see Smith win the big one cause he was the outstanding player in 06...

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
yeh when players get early injuries they score lower and s/o etc...

my only concern with the RLW system is that if you miss a couple of games with injury it makes it hard to win the award, someone who plays all 24 games and plays solidly is a better chance of winning it than someone who plays 18 games and plays a whole bunch of blinders and maybe a couple of average games...
That's true of the current system though. I think it was last season when Andrew Johns missed out on the Dally M by only a couple of points, because he'd only played half the season.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The future of the lower grades, very interesting read

Just read this on the Dragons website, and I'm really shocked about the future of our game. I'm all for putting resources into the grass roots and nurturing young players, but this is taking it to the extreme. Before now I didn't realise this Under-20 comp was actually being instated and Premier League totally abolished. This paragraph really gets me:

Thus, the overall change for rugby league players in the St George Illawarra region will relate to the “over aged” (Over 20) Premier League type player, not in the full-time NRL squad. Such players will be encouraged to continue their involvement in rugby league through the Toohey’s League or Jim Beam Cup or a re-structured Premier League Competition within our region – therefore being able to be elevated to the Dragons NRL team if required.
This is ridiculous. Having over-aged players either playing NRL or Jim Beam Cup is ludicrous. I consider all players under 25 to be "young". Basically this makes it very hard for players to break into first grade if they haven't impressed by the age of 20.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
The future of the lower grades, very interesting read

Just read this on the Dragons website, and I'm really shocked about the future of our game. I'm all for putting resources into the grass roots and nurturing young players, but this is taking it to the extreme. Before now I didn't realise this Under-20 comp was actually being instated and Premier League totally abolished. This paragraph really gets me:

This is ridiculous. Having over-aged players either playing NRL or Jim Beam Cup is ludicrous. I consider all players under 25 to be "young". Basically this makes it very hard for players to break into first grade if they haven't impressed by the age of 20.
I think you'll find that that Jim Beam Cup will be turned into a similar comp like the State Cup in QLD or the national cup thing in NZ. Im pretty sure that all the players over 20 from the Sea Eagles Preimer League side are going to play for Belrose Eagles in the Jim Beam Cup.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I think you'll find that that Jim Beam Cup will be turned into a similar comp like the State Cup in QLD or the national cup thing in NZ. Im pretty sure that all the players over 20 from the Sea Eagles Preimer League side are going to play for Belrose Eagles in the Jim Beam Cup.
What's the point though? I'd rather see them playing Premier League for the Dragons than Jim Beam Cup for the Sydney Bulls. I don't see the advantage in totally culling Premier League. Maybe make a quota that a certain number of players in Premier League have to be Under 20 or something. Just seems like a dramatic move for absolutely no good reason.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
What's the point though? I'd rather see them playing Premier League for the Dragons than Jim Beam Cup for the Sydney Bulls. I don't see the advantage in totally culling Premier League. Maybe make a quota that a certain number of players in Premier League have to be Under 20 or something. Just seems like a dramatic move for absolutely no good reason.
I don't think there is any moves yet to cull the Premier League, its just that a couple clubs have stated that they may not field PL side after this year, so thats Manly's Plan B. I doubt the PL will be culled and if it is it would be for a merge Jim Beam/Premier League comp with more teams. Remember they tired this a couple years ago with the Under 23s and it failed pretty bad. By the sounds of things the Dragon are just looking at their options, cus they rather their Under 20 players playing in National Under 20 comp, then a NSW based Premeir League. They don't want teams like Melborune and Brisbane to gain an advantage over them.

Craig

World Traveller
No Jonah Lomu for the Titans.

It is believed he declined the Titans because of his endorsments obligated him to stay in rugby.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Blewy, or anyone else for that matter, can you tell me much about Rangi Chase?
Very good young player mate, although in saying that he still has alot to learn....

I was hoping he would have been given more of a go last season as i thought he could have been our replacement for Prince... But Sheens seen him as a hooker and thats it, and with Farah and Flanagan he had a tough route into that position...

He played inside Benji at Keebra Park and i think he is up there skill wise with Benj, he just hasnt developed as fast...

Good luck to him at the Dragons, although not to much :p

Sad to see him go..

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
On a unrelated note hasn't Andy Gorrell gone to France?
Yeah, he (Aaron Gorrell by the way) has. No big loss, Simon Woolford will do a good job for us next year with Young and Chase also around to play some hooker. However, I'm devastated at losing our Premier League hooker George Ndaira to the Roosters. Pretty sure he'll play State Of Origin at least in his career.

Craig

World Traveller
If the name Matt Rua rings a bell to anybody it looks as they though he has been given a trial by Melbourne to prove he is worthy of a contract.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
If the name Matt Rua rings a bell to anybody it looks as they though he has been given a trial by Melbourne to prove he is worthy of a contract.
gee thats interesting... Almost as weird as Jason Moodie with the Tigers

Craig

World Traveller
Then again left field selections have been a trademark of Craig Bellamy. Cooper Cronk for one.