• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NRL 2006 Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blewy said:
Yes i know that but you would think a bloke who was given all the opportunities the Tigers gave him and won a premiership with the team would have some loyalty...
If he had loyalty he would have stayed at the Cowboys who gave him his start in NRL. He's a money chaser, does not have loyalty.

Craig

World Traveller
Greg Inglis is set to sign a new contract worth $2m (I guess 4 or 5 years) within the next few days.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luffy said:
broncoman said:
Alan Tongue - Another tackling machine, good attacker but plays for the Raiders so is no chance of being picked
QUOTE]

BOOO!!
Tongue is awesome, but hes no chance of playing for a rep team while hes at the Raiders, just unfortunate really...

Craig

World Traveller
Looks like Thurston is going to face the axe in favour of Ben Hornby. Cooper Cronk should be there ahead of Hornby, you don't win the Dally M half back title if you are rubbish.

And as for being versatile, plenty of the other players can play other positions, such as people like Hodges and Inglis can play fullback, wing and centre, Hunt can play on the wing if need be, King plays in the centres for Melbourne and name a position Berrigan hasn't done well in?

Simon

Craig said:
Looks like Thurston is going to face the axe in favour of Ben Hornby. Cooper Cronk should be there ahead of Hornby, you don't win the Dally M half back title if you are rubbish.

And as for being versatile, plenty of the other players can play other positions, such as people like Hodges and Inglis can play fullback, wing and centre, Hunt can play on the wing if need be, King plays in the centres for Melbourne and name a position Berrigan hasn't done well in?
i think its more of a situation where Stuart wants to see how Hornby will go. I think you'll find Gasnier or Hodges will miss out For Lyon and maybe even King for Hayne...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
He didn't deserve it though. I find it ridiculous that the positional awards aren't given on the basis of who got the most Dally M points. Orford absolutely smacked Cronk on the leaderboard.

Simon

burkey_1988 said:
He didn't deserve it though. I find it ridiculous that the positional awards aren't given on the basis of who got the most Dally M points. Orford absolutely smacked Cronk on the leaderboard.
yeh thats how i think it should be done. Webcke was easily the highest polling front rower yet Asotasi won the award...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
yeh thats how i think it should be done. Webcke was easily the highest polling front rower yet Asotasi won the award...
I agree, but in a case of this season where Cameron Smith pretty much dominated the Storms Dally M points it makes it hard for other storm players to poll so highly despite being just as good as someone from another club who may not be up against someone polling as highly....

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
I agree, but in a case of this season where Cameron Smith pretty much dominated the Storms Dally M points it makes it hard for other storm players to poll so highly despite being just as good as someone from another club who may not be up against someone polling as highly....
Then you could say the whole Dally M points system is flawed. I reckon the best way would be a Rugby League Week-esque points rating system.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Then you could say the whole Dally M points system is flawed. I reckon the best way would be a Rugby League Week-esque points rating system.
Not familiar with RLW, how does their system work??

IMO Cronk was a better half then Orford this season, Yes Orford had a few top notch games but as for overall consistency i would say Cronk was a fair way in front...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
Not familiar with RLW, how does their system work??

IMO Cronk was a better half then Orford this season, Yes Orford had a few top notch games but as for overall consistency i would say Cronk was a fair way in front...
RLW gives every player a rating out of 10 for each match. Therefore, all players get the points they deserve and for example if four players have absolute blinders they'll all get rewarded.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
RLW gives every player a rating out of 10 for each match. Therefore, all players get the points they deserve and for example if four players have absolute blinders they'll all get rewarded.
Hmm sounds like a decent system... At least its fair.. Some games you get 2 guys who are hard to split, one gets points the other misses out..

Craig

World Traveller
It should be noted that a ten given out is more rarer then Shane Bond going 12 months without breaking down at all.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
It should be noted that a ten given out is more rarer then Shane Bond going 12 months without breaking down at all.
A 10 is considered an absolutely perfect game, and you really have to earn it from RLW.

Craig

World Traveller
burkey_1988 said:
A 10 is considered an absolutely perfect game, and you really have to earn it from RLW.
And so it should be.

IIRC only a handfull have ever got and I think Brett Kimmorely is the last one to get a perfect ten?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
And so it should be.

IIRC only a handfull have ever got and I think Brett Kimmorely is the last one to get a perfect ten?
Yes, I think so. RLW made a big deal out of him getting it, had an article on it and all. Last one before him was Greg Florimo I believe, but don't quote me on that.