• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally Posted by J.Coney
just thought i would compile some stats. m.sinclair has faced aust. 8 times so i compared other players first 8 games against aussie, to see if his axing was unjust.

M.Papps .Has not played against aust.
players name. m. avg. runs. h.s
S.Styrus_____ 8 12.5 72 23
L.Vincent_____8 13.6 109 55
C.McMillan___ 8 29.3 235 53*
M.Sinclair____ 8 14.6 117 48

NB. Styrus has played in total 17 matches against aust and now avg. 11.73
C.Mcmillan has played 25 matches against aust. his high score is still 53* which he scored in his 7th match.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden unlikely to play in next ODI, and with James Hopes in the wings its very likely Clarke will open and the Aussie selectors will want to give Hopes a chance to play either in place of Lee, Gillespie or McGrath ! (particularly considering Eden Park likely to be a slow paced track )

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
The guy hasn't even played a game and everyone is already baging him. If he plays and gets smacked around and doesn't score any runs then bag him all u want, but u have to give the guy a chance. His form in the ING Cup as has been as good as anyone with bat and ball. Hopes was picked as a medium pace all rounder and apart from Watson his is the best pace all rounder in the country. I'm sure when Watson starts bowling again he probably will get drop but he deserves to be in the squad as the No 2 All Rounder.
I actually think James Hopes is more suited to the role that Australian selectors want the allrounder to play than Shane Watson. Shane Watson is more of top order batter, and finds it hard to get rythum at number 7 & 8, especially considering he has never batted that low for any state teams. James Hopes will offer more to the batting down the order, he can hit out if necessary & can also save the innings. He can also bowl 10 overs for under 30.

cbuts

International Debutant
how can anyone justify tuffey keeping his place? he bowled patheticly, not even up to club standard, he bowled **** in welly also. an international bowler of his experience should not be performing like that, and to have, he should be dropped on principle. i bet u if an aussie bowler bowled like that he would be axed from a touring squad! we arnt tough enough on our players, what incentive is there for tuffey to imporve next time, he kno9ws he aint gonna get dropped???

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems the NZ test openers dilemma we've been debating on CW has pretty much been resolved.

Firstly, Fleming says in a Sunday newspaper "it's up to the selectors, but I want to open".
Then Bracewell starts talking this afternoon about getting Papps ready "for the test matches" -

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/41615.wma (4:10 in)

%%%%%%%

Bracewell also mentioned that Sinclair needs to be shielded from the Aussie attack before his confidence is destroyed and "we lose him completely for the summer".

Jeez Braces, has dominating lesser attacks ever helped Sinclair get ready for world-class bowlers in the past? How naive are you? It's a bit like saying Graeme Hick needs some more county cricket to build up his self-esteem. Surely what you actually meant was "Sinclair won't be playing the AUS tests, so let's get Papps up to speed now".

I'm really looking forward to Lee v. Papps, especially on any surface that is remotely quick. Trust me, there will be several Proteas (who completely rubbished Papps when they were here) watching the highlights and fully expecting to see cricket's version of a car accident. :)

%%%%%%%%

I still can't figure out what happened to Wilson. He went from a high 130's back-of-a-length bowler to bowling gentle half-volleys with McCullum standing up. Why?

He either choked and actually chose this method (sort of like a tennis player just trying to get a second serve in), or the brains trust ordered him to bowl third-change and attempt to fill Scott Styris' shoes.

If that was the case, Fleming and Bracewell completely misread his skills. Wilson was our fastest bowler last month, doesn't have much of a slower ball and was clearly suited to hitting the deck hard, so why have him bowling third-change with the keeper up? That's just bizarre.

%%%%%%%

Sadly my worst fears about Tuffey on dry surfaces are coming true, and it's good to hear the commentators starting to focus on his scrambled seam problem.

If I was Bracewell I'd put him out of his misery right now for the rest of the season (with the belters they've had at McLean Park and the Basin this summer it'll probably only get worse). I presume this faith Bracewell is showing him means Tuffey will be "spearheading" us in all five tests this autumn whether we like it or not, and he'll just keep bowling and bowling him until something clicks, a bit like the way Vettori returned to form.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
i would have
papps
how
flemming
sinclair
mcmillian
astle
oram (hopefully)
mccullum
vettori
hamilton or aldridge
martin

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Astle
Vettori
Fleming
Marshall
Marshall
McMillan
Cairns
McCullum
Mills
Hamilton
Adams
Papps

That would be my 12 for saturday

cbuts

International Debutant
that was my test team. i like ur odi team, apart form vettori opening. i think people are reading to much into vettoris effort on tuesday. there was no pressure when he went in to bat. coming in against the new ball, i think he will struggle. but i do like that odi team

anzac

International Debutant
what's with James Marshall in the squad??????

Has his batting been that good or are they after his fielding skills as 12th man??????

anzac

International Debutant
I'm a bit sad to see Sinclair go - sure his forms not hot in the 3 games thus far, but last season he came to the rescue in the 3rd Test v RSA, and had been one of the better & more consistant performers with the bat since then.............

I'll be really ****ed if they drop him for the Test series & retain McMillan after Sinclair having to Open in AUS etc.................

likewise I'll be ****ed if they retain Tuffey while he's bowling ****e - not only is his seam screwed but from what I've seen his lines & lengths have been off as well...........

if we loose the next match on Sat then the series is gone & the selectors should throw caution to the wind & think outside the square re player selections.............at least then they may salvage something by increasing their player options...........both bat & ball.....

cbuts

International Debutant
why should wislson be kept, he has done nothing to warrant selectoin in the domestinc game, and both times he has been given the chnce against the best, he has come up wanting

cbuts

International Debutant
Blaze said:
You cant replace Wilson after one poor game. It is hypicritical of the selectors if they were to do so
2 games, and not really. it would show wilson u cnat bowl like that and represent ur country

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i actually wont mind if we lose

Then it will show how stupid the selectors are... then they can give some new blood a go ... ross taylor.. hamilton.. etc :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why should wislson be kept, he has done nothing to warrant selectoin in the domestinc game
Wilson's domestic bowling:

M O M R W Ave BB SR ER
This season (FC): 3 87.1 27 245 10 24.50 4-46 - - 52.3 2.81 OTAGO
This season (OD):10 78.2 8 317 14 22.64 3-23 - - 33.5 4.04 OTAGO
Last season (FC): 5 144.5 40 390 23 16.95 5-71 2 - 37.7 2.69 OTAGO
Last Season (FC): 5 6.1 3 13 0 - - - - - 2.10 OTAGO

Those are good numbers, no matter which way you slice it. If anything, he'd done so well of late it's more a matter of why they didn't pick him sooner.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It seems it was a tactic for Wilson to cut back on his pace and for McCullum to stand up, and Bracewell admitted it didn't work and stuffed up his length.

Someone asked what James Marshall had done to make the team.

He scored 286 runs @40.85 in the State Shield this year - pretty impressive numbers. The only players above him were either Black Caps (Vettori, Astle, Papps, McMillan, Sinclair), Peter McGlashan whose average was inflated by a number of not outs (still very impressive hitting) and Glen Sulzberger.

http://www.cricketarchive.com/NewZealand/Events/State_Shield_2004-05/Batting_by_Average.html

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
MoxPearl said:
i actually wont mind if we lose

Then it will show how stupid the selectors are... then they can give some new blood a go ... ross taylor.. hamilton.. etc :D
Why would they pick Ross Taylor? He averaged just over 22, and aside from a 99, did absolutely nothing this year.

Plenty of talent, but not much up top it seems.

Hamilton's a journeyman.