• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
social said:
Kaspa's not the incumbent - he was left out of the final test vs Pak.
And MacGill and Watson aren't even in the tour party. And who played for the past 12 months?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden has not yet recovered from his shoulder injury and is still in doubt for the first test. Reports are Katich will open and Hodge will bat at 6 if he does not play.

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Completely different genetically?

Are you kidding?

Even the objective standards by which we can subdivide ethnic groups genetically are mostly superficial, and even then, europeans and south asians belong to the same group.

A case can be made for a socioeconomic reason behind India's failure to fully exploit their numerical superiority, but not a biological reason.
are you kidding?

just look at teams like nz- eng now compare them to teams like bangladesh- india. the euro's are much more taller. and just look at the way they bat the sub continent players have completely different batting styles.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
username1234 said:
are you kidding?

just look at teams like nz- eng now compare them to teams like bangladesh- india. the euro's are much more taller. and just look at the way they bat the sub continent players have completely different batting styles.
The euros are much more taller? How can I argue with that?

Keep in mind that height is dictated by many factors, as much by nutrition as heredity. And remember, for every Jacob Oram there's a Brendon McCullum.

I believe most of the individual batsmen representing each country possess a reasonably unique and/or varied style. What is the difference between a non-european and a european style of batting? Don't be afraid to generalise, you certainly haven't been so far.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
username1234 said:
are you kidding?

Oh please. You're heading for a big flamewar if you continue talking about how the reason India hasn't converted its population into being the worlds best side is "genetic".

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Hayden has not yet recovered from his shoulder injury and is still in doubt for the first test. Reports are Katich will open and Hodge will bat at 6 if he does not play.
Katich opening? I guess he deserves his spot, but I still think Hussey should be the first in line for the opening places after Langer and Hayden, he's been the best opener in domestic cricket along with Elliot for several years, and Elliot had several opportunities.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Katich opening? I guess he deserves his spot, but I still think Hussey should be the first in line for the opening places after Langer and Hayden, he's been the best opener in domestic cricket along with Elliot for several years, and Elliot had several opportunities.
And if not now, they'd be insane not to give him some Ashes games. I still don't know what they were thinking last time when they had to replace Slater. Don't get me wrong, Langer has come good and been a very valuable player, but I don't know what variety of ***ual favour he performed on Steve Waugh to get that 2nd chance, when Hussey was making county attacks cry left and right.

2001 ENGLISH FIRST-CLASS Mike Hussey

M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
16 30 4 2055 329* 79.03 5 9 19 0

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And if not now, they'd be insane not to give him some Ashes games. I still don't know what they were thinking last time when they had to replace Slater. Don't get me wrong, Langer has come good and been a very valuable player, but I don't know what variety of ***ual favour he performed on Steve Waugh to get that 2nd chance, when Hussey was making county attacks cry left and right.

2001 ENGLISH FIRST-CLASS Mike Hussey

M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
16 30 4 2055 329* 79.03 5 9 19 0
Probably had more to do with this (Hussey's domestic Australian stats):

1997-98: 12M, 915 runs, HS 134, avg 48.15
1998-99: 11M, 887 runs, HS 187, avg 43.85
1999-00: 10M, 874 runs, HS 172*, ave 51.41
2000-01: 10M, 553 runs, HS 137, avg 30.72
2001-02: 10M, 600 runs, HS 100, avg 35.29
2002-03: 7M, 348 runs, HS 90, avg 34.80
2003-04: 9M, 752 runs, HS 138, avg 41.77

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Probably had more to do with this (Hussey's domestic Australian stats):

1997-98: 12M, 915 runs, HS 134, avg 48.15
1998-99: 11M, 887 runs, HS 187, avg 43.85
1999-00: 10M, 874 runs, HS 172*, ave 51.41
2000-01: 10M, 553 runs, HS 137, avg 30.72
2001-02: 10M, 600 runs, HS 100, avg 35.29
2002-03: 7M, 348 runs, HS 90, avg 34.80
2003-04: 9M, 752 runs, HS 138, avg 41.77
That's still better than most openers around in Australian FC cricket. And his record in England suggests that he is very well suited to their conditions, and he's also been in good form in the Pura Cup this year, he hit a big double hundred early on as I recall.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not saying he's rubbish (to the contrary); I'm just stating why I think he wasn't considered.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I'm not saying he's rubbish (to the contrary); I'm just stating why I think he wasn't considered.
You may well be right. Still, at 29 I think he's probably one of the future openers for Australia, given that Hayden at least is likely to retire after the 2007 world cup. So, if there's an openers spot available due to injury I don't see why the selectors would hesitate to offer it to him, unless they really believe Katich is likely to open in the future.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
I have faith in Gillespie. 8-)
Lee and Warne aren't exactly terrible with the bat either, particularly against New Zealand. Warne has 505 runs at 33.67 with four 50s against them.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's still better than most openers around in Australian FC cricket. And his record in England suggests that he is very well suited to their conditions, and he's also been in good form in the Pura Cup this year, he hit a big double hundred early on as I recall.
He's hit 2 doubles this season, but nothing else of note.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
if you were an australian selector could you honestly say you'd be worried about that?
One of the big reasons Australia is so strong IMO is that you can get them 5 down and Gilchrist comes in.

If he's at 6 with 5 bowlers after him that is nowhere near the depth.