• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

ashley bach

International Captain
Rachin's played himself into a WC spot, hasn't he? Hard to ignore him after sporadic runs/wickets throughout the series, and the all-round effect in the last game.
Think your analysis is pretty good but yikes I'm still not exactly confident about much tbh.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Because they foolishly try to shoehorn players into positions to match a template rather than modifying the template to get the best out of the players in their best positions/roles.
PCB & NZC are brethren in this regard.

Last match, we sent Haris in middle overs to face spin when he is clearly better against pace & has played last T20WC as opener.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Gonna be so awesome when he tops the batting and bowling charts, h8ers can suck it
NZ is sure shot semifinalists if he tops batting charts as an opener. They have good pace attack & decent spinners.

If he tops batting charts for NZ playing at no.7, brace for deep deep trouble in India next month.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rachin's played himself into a WC spot, hasn't he? Hard to ignore him after sporadic runs/wickets throughout the series, and the all-round effect in the last game.
Into the XI? I dunno...I still don't see it. I think that wicket, and the situation he batted in, was absolutely tailor made for him. A slow wicket, which if I'm hearing right is not what is going to be presented in India. His bowling was reasonably effective, and 122-5 in the middle overs gave him an opportunity to come in and bat like a top order player. He won't have (or he shouldn't have) 48 balls to bat in India, at 7. He was 20 off 28, which is not a criticism - that's the batsman he is. At that stage, we needed over 9s. That's not the 7 we need.

I'm more and more believing (even though I haven't rated him for years) that Neesham needs to be our 7, playing two seamers it looks slow/3 if it looks quick.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, I read this quote the other day...I dunno if this is misquoted, but I've seen it a few places now:

“Ben Stokes played an amazing innings, England’s best,” he (Gary Stead) said. “That was pretty special to watch. I don’t mind Ben Stokes. I’d rather he score them now than on October 5.”

I just don't get this guy. He'd rather Ben Stokes score them now than Oct 5? Is that even a thing, like Ben Stokes has chits for massive ODI hundreds that he decided to use now rather than in a World Cup pool game? Isn't it more of a concern that we got smashed in three ODIs against a team we're playing in 3 weeks? Won't Ben Stokes wander out on Oct 5 and think hell yeah, I have these guys' measure? Or will he think ****, I wish I hadn't failed the marshmallow test and used up my big score earlier.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, nothing that happened in this series can alter the fact that Stokes's retirement was an act of cowardice and his subsequent flip flopping was diva behaviour

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incidentally, I read this quote the other day...I dunno if this is misquoted, but I've seen it a few places now:

“Ben Stokes played an amazing innings, England’s best,” he (Gary Stead) said. “That was pretty special to watch. I don’t mind Ben Stokes. I’d rather he score them now than on October 5.”

I just don't get this guy. He'd rather Ben Stokes score them now than Oct 5? Is that even a thing, like Ben Stokes has chits for massive ODI hundreds that he decided to use now rather than in a World Cup pool game? Isn't it more of a concern that we got smashed in three ODIs against a team we're playing in 3 weeks? Won't Ben Stokes wander out on Oct 5 and think hell yeah, I have these guys' measure? Or will he think ****, I wish I hadn't failed the marshmallow test and used up my big score earlier.
I think he was just making a joke, you don't need to overanalyse it.