• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing:

Fleming
Astle
H.Marshall
Fulton
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond

But obviously Fulton isn't on the tour. That would be an extremely competitive ODI side IMO.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Tim said:

Fleming
Astle
H.Marshall
Fulton
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond

But obviously Fulton isn't on the tour. That would be an extremely competitive ODI side IMO.
Thats a pretty good side. Batting and bowling in spades.

Who would you put in place of Fulton (assuming Styris to stay at 4)? The problematic number 5 spot is still a reoccuring theme in our one-day side.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good point. Im not convinced we need James Marshall in there because he's a bit too similar to Hamish and at first glance he appears to lack the x-factor that Hamish has.

Looking around the domestic sides. #5 is a bit of a problem. You've got the likes of a Rob Nicol or Ross Taylor I guess..but Nicol hasn't really impacted in OD cricket for Auckland and Taylor seems to have a few technical issues to deal with.

I suppose Fulton would be the best option to slot in at #5.

The other option is to move Astle to #5 and open Papps, How or Ryder with Fleming.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Tim said:
Good point. Im not convinced we need James Marshall in there because he's a bit too similar to Hamish and at first glance he appears to lack the x-factor that Hamish has.

Looking around the domestic sides. #5 is a bit of a problem. You've got the likes of a Rob Nicol or Ross Taylor I guess..but Nicol hasn't really impacted in OD cricket for Auckland and Taylor seems to have a few technical issues to deal with.

I suppose Fulton would be the best option to slot in at #5.

The other option is to move Astle to #5 and open Papps, How or Ryder with Fleming.
I don't think Nicol is a one-day player, his style better suited to the longer version. Taylor does have some technical issues, i agree. Plus he still doesn't have the temperament for the international level yet IMO.

Even though McMillan is very much hit-and-miss, he seems to play one-day cricket alot more effectively than anything else.

For the short to mid-term, i think he will continue to be the number 5 at ODI level. There is no-one else that stands out, apart from Fulton who i also believe is a good prospect.

The other problem is Oram or Cairns having to bat at number 7. To me that is too low for both of them. That was the case in the first Chappell-Hadlee match, with Cairns having to bludgeon at the end. They are both really number 6's. Cairns bats at his best when he has time. We have to accomodate both of them in the line-up though.

An interesting headache for sure.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
#5 I think we need a player there who can play both defensively and aggressively depending on the situation.
James Marshall appears to only nudge the ball around. From what i've seen of Fulton he can play both roles quite well and I think Astle is capable of playing the same role too.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Yeah, interesting one about the opening and number 5.

I think Astle and Fleming should continue to open, just to continue the stabliity in those positions. Astle is a natural opener anyway.

What about Cairns and Oram batting so low?

Blaze

Banned
Cairns is too hit and miss. I think idealy he should be coming in with 10-15 overs to go. He should be down at number 6 and act as a floater depending on the situation. We really want our biggest hitters in at the death so Cairns and Oram should stay at 6 and 7 IMO.

I am concerned about the lack of a partner for Bond. Franklin isn't a good enough one day bowler yet. He isn't consistant enough IMO. As soon as someone goes after him he will fall to pieces but there is no real other options for us is there?

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Blaze said:
Cairns is too hit and miss. I think idealy he should be coming in with 10-15 overs to go. He should be down at number 6 and act as a floater depending on the situation. We really want our biggest hitters in at the death so Cairns and Oram should stay at 6 and 7 IMO.

I am concerned about the lack of a partner for Bond. Franklin isn't a good enough one day bowler yet. He isn't consistant enough IMO. As soon as someone goes after him he will fall to pieces but there is no real other options for us is there?
I agree with your point about Cairns. With the lack of match batting time he gets anyway, it does make sense for him to act as a floater if necessary. So i'm sold on that idea.

Daryl Tuffey must come back in the side. I know he had a shocker against Australia but he is too good a bowler to just disregard. He should come back and partner Bond IMO. The selectors need to show confidence in the guy. It was only one bad series.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Blaze

Banned
I don't like Tuffey. IMO he had that one good series against India where all he had to do was put it on a good length and the pitch did the rest for him. Since then I think he has been found out. He is one dimensional and bowls with a scrambled seam and therefore gets limited movement. I think he has the ability to be a good bowler and I don't want NZ to discard him but he needs so sort out his seam position first.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tuffey is just not accurate or dangerous enough when the ball is not swinging.
He's got to get greater control or else he's going to be useless to Fleming in the sub-continent or on flatter decks anyway.

If he's going to take a McGrath like role, then he needs to be able to consistently bowl 3 or 4 maidens back to back.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:

Fleming
Astle
H.Marshall
Fulton
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond

I Wouldn't have Franklin in my oneday side. It would be too much of a risk against Sehwag for mine. He does swing the ball and could get early wickets...but on the other hand if he didn't get early wickets if can see him getting murdered by sehwag and co.

Personally I'd have Oram (if he's fit) opening with Bond. He performed well in the natwest series in England as an opener and I think his tight bowling would complement Bond very well.

My side would be.....

Astle
Fleming (c)
H Marshall
Styris
Cairns
Mcmillan
Oram
McCullum (wk)
Vettori
Adams
Bond

With the strength of the batting line-up you could float the odd batsmen or change the order slightly on the day and it wouldn't really make too much difference.

With Bond and Oram opening up, I'd have Cairns as first change bowler then Vettori and Adams (whose been in good form again in county cricket). If one of the bowlers struggles with their 10 overs you've always got Styris and Astle for a few overs. In fact more than a few on a slow pitch.

That is a very strong batting lineup !!!!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:

Definitely agree with your points about Cairns and Oram, as long as those two enter the innings with 10-15 overs remaining, they have time to get in and then play their shots - I can't see the logic of Cairns in particular coming in any earlier, even if we're four down before then I'd prefer Oram to come in and Cairns bat down at seven.

Oram, when he's fit, should be a good enough partner for Bond - with the likes of Styris and Vettori to back them up. Agree that Franklin is not consistent enough. When you say someone goes after him, are you talking about Franklin?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Tuffey is just not accurate or dangerous enough when the ball is not swinging.
He's got to get greater control or else he's going to be useless to Fleming in the sub-continent or on flatter decks anyway.

If he's going to take a McGrath like role, then he needs to be able to consistently bowl 3 or 4 maidens back to back.
Yeah, only difference is that McGrath is capable of bowling on any surface. Tuffey just doesn't seem to have the ability, without assistance, to consistently trouble batsmen but we need another pace bowler and along with Franklin and Adams, still appears to be favoured ATM.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:

Fleming
Astle
H.Marshall
Fulton
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond

At the moment, maybe with the exception of Fulton and only because of inexperience, that appears to be our best ODI side available. Would prefer Franklin over Tuffey and Adams so agree with the other pace bowler's place behind Bond. Would probably have McMillan or James Marshall in ahead of Fulton, simply because I haven't seen enough of him though.

Blaze

Banned
Somerset said:
Oram, when he's fit, should be a good enough partner for Bond - with the likes of Styris and Vettori to back them up. Agree that Franklin is not consistent enough. When you say someone goes after him, are you talking about Franklin?

Yeah

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Certainly agree with Franklin getting hit around - just ask Justin Langer.

"It was a buffet...i helped myself."

(Plus or minus 250 runs)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AndrewM said:
Certainly agree with Franklin getting hit around - just ask Justin Langer.

"It was a buffet...i helped myself."

(Plus or minus 250 runs)
Are you over there with the team Andrew? If so what is the latest on Orams fitness??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they'll keep an unchanged side from the one that won in the 1st test.
The only question mark will be whether Craig Cumming comes in for Lou Vincent or not.

I reckon we'll see Oram at some stage during the ODI tri-series.