• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in West Indies

Woodster

International Captain
Unbelievable shot selection from Guptill, he's not looked play anything like that type of stroke all day to the slow bowlers, then with a century just one hit away and the close of play exceptionally close too, he tries the slog-sweep.

Meridio

International Regular
Well, we've gone from a good position to a slightly precarious one within the space of a few overs. Still every chance we wont make 300, especially given that it was the two set batsmen who got out.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, when I woke up and saw that the score was 200/2, I knew that we'd toss it away by COP. Bad luck to Guptill, sounds like he deserved a hundred.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I just saw McCullum played a reverse sweep on about 15. Wow.
There's nothing wrong with playing the reverse sweep on 15. If the ball is in the right spot, and you're good at playing it (which McCullum is) then it's a perfectly legitimate shot to make runs and force the bowler to rethink his strategies.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'm just bewildered by that shot from Guppy. Well batted and all but seriously what the ****.
Whats bewildering about it? Late in the day, loss of concentration. Its one half of the challenge batsmen face in test cricket. Particularly limited ones like Guptill.

Anyway the pitch is still pretty friendly, so NZ can still easily make 350+ tomorrow, which is an excellent score for them here.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Considering the form of the NZ players to date, this score represents a HUGE victory for the kiwi lads.
It is - we're batting first and not behind in the match after one day - that exceeds my expectations. Not so much a victory against the Windian bowlers but more against themselves. I know three of four were out to poor attacking shots (like normal) but that was only after periods of scoring runs more safely.

Will wait to watch all the highlights before saying more.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having just watched some of the 1st England vs. South Africa test, and considering how well England were placed at close of play day 1, I'm not going to get too excited yet.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing wrong with playing the reverse sweep on 15. If the ball is in the right spot, and you're good at playing it (which McCullum is) then it's a perfectly legitimate shot to make runs and force the bowler to rethink his strategies.
For a man of his talents, it's not necessary. It's not like it's a shot he needs to get off strike, or a boundary. Narine wasn't causing that many issues. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if I hadn't seen it numerous times before.

Awful shot from Guptill but really feel for him. On reflection, it's probably why his limited-over game has flourished but his Test game hasn't, to a point. He got a ton away in his maiden ODI, and that conquered the mental game for a time. He hasn't done that against a major nation in Tests, and it ticks away at him. It's human nature. Would have been great for him to get it today, but he's just going to have to find a way some time soon.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And nightwatchmen are such a cop out. Especially when they are debutant lower order batsmen against Narine in prime form. I can only think they wanted a left hander so if he beat the bat, it wasn't out. He was possibly told to go out and play the line, which he did.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
For a man of his talents, it's not necessary. It's not like it's a shot he needs to get off strike, or a boundary. Narine wasn't causing that many issues. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if I hadn't seen it numerous times before.
I don't recall McCullum getting out playing the reverse sweep. Certainly not as often as he gets out playing an aggressive cut shot, or attempting to hock it over mid on for six. By comparison, the reverse sweep is a measured, controlled stroke, that opens up a part of the field that can't be reached via any other stroke (save a lucky outside edge). In that sense, its an effective shot both at scoring runs and forcing bowling/fielding rethinks. And provided the ball is in the right place, it's fairly low risk as well.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Narine WAC.

Impressed with the score, though still a lot to work on by the sounds of it. Fair play to Guptill, though 97 is oh so frustrating, and mostly for him obvz. Was it really a slog sweep?

We're in a good position here. Need to get 350-400 and then it is absolutely crucial for the WI that Chanderpaul and Gayle make a score. Apart from Samuels, the rest won't if we bowl well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't recall McCullum getting out playing the reverse sweep. Certainly not as often as he gets out playing an aggressive cut shot, or attempting to hock it over mid on for six. By comparison, the reverse sweep is a measured, controlled stroke, that opens up a part of the field that can't be reached via any other stroke (save a lucky outside edge). In that sense, its an effective shot both at scoring runs and forcing bowling/fielding rethinks. And provided the ball is in the right place, it's fairly low risk as well.
Okay, fair play on that shot. But his approach this morning was all wrong. He did it on the opening morning of the Brisbane Test last year too, then dug in at Hobart...only to come out in the media weeks later to say he wasn't interested in playing like that. Too bad, that's a No.3s job. Note to Brendon: You.Are.Not.Sehwag.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, fair play on that shot. But his approach this morning was all wrong. He did it on the opening morning of the Brisbane Test last year too, then dug in at Hobart...only to come out in the media weeks later to say he wasn't interested in playing like that. Too bad, that's a No.3s job. Note to Brendon: You.Are.Not.Sehwag.
Yeah, fair enough. Especially given how shaky our openers usually are, we need a number 3 who isn't going to toss his wicket away after an hour at the crease. I reckon Williamson will get the promotion before the year is out.