• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2012

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Did Yuvi come back strong or what. Needs to work a bit more on his fitness but the timing is still there.

This was a game we had no business losing. Losing just 4 wickets and not winning is bad. Dhoni has done similar stuff in the earlier IPLs but seemed to have turned the corner in the last edition or so. Cannot afford more of the same in the WC.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Should Yuvraj even be playing in this? Surely India have someone better given Yuvraj's absence and illness? Are the selectors/ board putting sentiment over reality? It seems tough to shove Yuvraj into a worldcup with no real buildup. (sorry if this has already been discussed)

Disclaimer: No offence is meant here. I didn't watch this game and haven't followed Yuvraj's recovery particularly - although it's obviously great to see making a full recovery and playing again.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Don't get Yuvraj's ****tiness in tests mask his ability in the shorter formats. He's an absolute beast, and he showed as much tonight.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Simple fact, Dhoni's not as good a T20 player as he is a OD player. Its also a significant step up playing against experienced bowlers who've played in these sorts of conditions a fair bit as opposed to pretty **** medium pacers so you can't use the IPL as a strong litmus.
It was Irfan Pathan actually. India's best t20 seam bowler.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
No one asking the tough questions here. Would Michael Bevan have finished off that chase? :ph34r:

But more seriously, well done Kiwis. Good to have a result go our way before the WC.
How did Milne bowl? I noticed a few comments in here saying he wasn't even bowling particularly quick?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No one asking the tough questions here. Would Michael Bevan have finished off that chase? :ph34r:

But more seriously, well done Kiwis. Good to have a result go our way before the WC.
How did Milne bowl? I noticed a few comments in here saying he wasn't even bowling particularly quick?
You can check out the speeds in the cricinfo running commentary.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin took 2/26 off 4 overs, bowled the final over and we won :-O

Good to see McCullum scoring some runs. Also surprised that Oram managed to come in at 7 and do his job well - 18 off 9. Milne y u no bowl fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin took 2/26 off 4 overs, bowled the final over and we won :-O

Good to see McCullum scoring some runs. Also surprised that Oram managed to come in at 7 and do his job well - 18 off 9. Milne y u no bowl fast.
At a guess I would say it's because it's been more than 6 months since the last time he played professional cricket. Yeah, he was a part of some bowling camp down in Dunedin, but that hardly equates to being fully match fit. It was a similar story during his performances in the CL a couple of years ago. Started off bowling around the 130 mark, but by the end of the comp he was bowling around 140 and by the time he debuted against Pakistan after a couple of months of domestic cricket he was touching 150.

The other possible answer is that his shoulder and ankle injuries have taken their toll, and he is now a regular fast medium.

Either way, it doesn't seem to have changed the fact that it seems all he's capable of serving up is a load of half volleys and long hops.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's also put on weight - ie muscle. That doesn't always=more kms, it could mean more time on the park and slightly less kms.

Blain

U19 Captain
I'm not worried about Milnes pace, not the easiest place to bowl full tilt in front a big crowd, at night, against a top side. Sounds like he created a couple chances. Let him warm into it, a couple practise matches could see him get more with the game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Having watched the highlights now, thought wrt Milne:
- seems to have modified his action every time I see him. Now it looks like a cross between his original Bond-like action and the very straight-up-and-down action that was evident last domestic season. I quite like it. Hopefully it doesn't have Bond-like injury risks.
- I'm no bowling coach but the timing looked a little off. Hard to explain but didn't look like all the different elements of the action were coming together right at the point of release. Release was also very varied but that's surely in part because it's T20 and often don't want to bowl with straight seam. Hard to draw too many conclusions from just 3 overs of course!
- All in all though, thought he looked better than last time and obviously has plenty of talent.

Mike5181

International Captain
Having watched the highlights now, thought wrt Milne:
- seems to have modified his action every time I see him. Now it looks like a cross between his original Bond-like action and the very straight-up-and-down action that was evident last domestic season. I quite like it. Hopefully it doesn't have Bond-like injury risks.
- I'm no bowling coach but the timing looked a little off. Hard to explain but didn't look like all the different elements of the action were coming together right at the point of release. Release was also very varied but that's surely in part because it's T20 and often don't want to bowl with straight seam. Hard to draw too many conclusions from just 3 overs of course!
- All in all though, thought he looked better than last time and obviously has plenty of talent.
I'd imagine with his limited experience, especially at this level, he'd need quite a few deliveries/overs until everything clicks. If we're going to take a punt and select this guy, I'd prefer he played ODIs in home conditions rather than T20Is in India.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah exactly. You cant expect a guy with no overseas experience to go over to India, bowl 3 one over spells and bowl at 150 clicks. If he stands out in the domestic stuff early on, give him a couple one dayers.