• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't mind your squad at all but I think they will keep Watling and Arnel in. I'd personally have them at the expense of Flynn and Bennett (maybe debut anywhere that isn't India).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McKay and Bennett shouldn't both play. Honestly in a fair world neither of them would play but I can see why they're being experimented with - they definitely shouldn't both be in the squad though.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Brendon Mac playing as an opener for this test series? If so then things might get a little more interesting.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Arnel would make the squad, surely. Played in our last couple of tests and took 8fer in his most recent innings bowling effort. Liked the look of him too, just seemed a bit unlucky (vs Australia).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Arnel would make the squad, surely. Played in our last couple of tests and took 8fer in his most recent innings bowling effort. Liked the look of him too, just seemed a bit unlucky (vs Australia).
Yeah really enjoyed watching him against Australia.

Woodster

International Captain
I hope Flynn gets the nod for the Test squad, despite what seemed to have been another very average domestic season. I like his attititude and there is defintely room in the NZ line-up for a player of his particular style, to play around the more attacking strokeplayers such as Ryder, McCullum, Taylor and co.

He does have experience of playing Test cricket in the sub-continent, played in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, while I don't think he had massive success, seem to remember he played a couple of promising innings. Seems in form after a decent series against Zimbabwe 'A'.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The test team vs IND should be:

1. Tim McIntosh
2. Brendon McCullum
3. Jamie How
4.Ross Taylor
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Kane Williamson
7. BJ Watling (wk)
8. Daniel Vettori (c)
9. Kyle Mills
10. Andy McKay
11. Hamish Bennett
Good post - In terms of the wicket keeper selection. I presume that if Hopkins played you would have Watling at 3 and How out of the team - so it boils down to how many more runs will How score than Hopkins. I figure that Hopkins will average like 17 or 18 for the series and that How would average like 25.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle Mills back in the test team - people say that he isn't effective when it stops swinging..but he looks the goods in ODIs.

I think Hamish Bennet isn't ready for test cricket. Would pick Arnel before him.

My team

Mcintosh
McCullum
Watling
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson
Vettori
Hopkins or VanWyk
Southee
OBrien (might be back??)
Martin

Flem274*

123/5
I hope Flynn gets the nod for the Test squad, despite what seemed to have been another very average domestic season. I like his attititude and there is defintely room in the NZ line-up for a player of his particular style, to play around the more attacking strokeplayers such as Ryder, McCullum, Taylor and co.

He does have experience of playing Test cricket in the sub-continent, played in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, while I don't think he had massive success, seem to remember he played a couple of promising innings. Seems in form after a decent series against Zimbabwe 'A'.
Flynn has always looked good, he just never does anything bar the occasional flash of brilliance which gets the selectors hopes up.

Needs to put runs on the board consistently at First Class level before he's even considered for the test side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have just been looking at Styris test average of 36. I would put him in the team in a heartbeat at number 3. I feel frustrated at him for retiring from tests from my selfish perspective. Styris >> How/Flynn/Sinclair.

I mean if he was a bowler like Bond I could see him retiring to avoid injury. But he is a batsman. He was on radio sport and he said he would love to bat again in tests but can't deal with the rest of it and would have retired alltogether from cricket if he had to play tests. Part of me thinks he should suck it up and serve his country. Our top order is getting destroyed.
I also don't understand his answer on Radio sport. I mean does he mean that he hates fielding for two days on end. But he gets that experience with our FC games being 4 days long.

All of this makes me think that something is wrong with NZ's team management. Not enough is being done to keep our veteran players happy and in the game for an extended period of time.

Flem274*

123/5
I just get the feeling he's not a fan of playing the long form of the game. It's hard for fans but it's his call to play what he likes. He doesn't owe anything to his country. "We" haven't given him anything.

You could argue NZC gave him the chance to play test cricket but he earned it in FC cricket and he repayed the selectors with five test hundreds.

But if he was available he would be a shoo-in for number three.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Flynn is ****house and is simply lauded for being a gritty cricketer because a ball hit him in the mouth. The amount of determined or "gritty" knocks he has played for NZ can be counted on one hand. I've always liked the look of Jamie How, flatters to deceive but he looks a cricketer who could go on. The likes of Flynn, Fulton, Ingram, McIntosh, Guptill et cetera are complete non-entities. Ideally you would want McCullum back keeping and I would ask Pig back into the test team.

Something like this…

How
Don’t know but none of the aforementioned
Ryder
Taylor
Pig
Williamson
McCullum
Vettori

Flem274*

123/5
McIntosh doesn't look much, and I was fuming after his original selection, but he's been better than any other opener we've tried (not that it means much), and has 3 half centuries from his last 4 tests. He's a much better batsman than when he first entered the test arena.*

*Thank ****ing Christ.

EDIT: But completely agree on Flynn.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I just get the feeling he's not a fan of playing the long form of the game. It's hard for fans but it's his call to play what he likes. He doesn't owe anything to his country. "We" haven't given him anything.

You could argue NZC gave him the chance to play test cricket but he earned it in FC cricket and he repayed the selectors with five test hundreds.

But if he was available he would be a shoo-in for number three.
That's a poor attitude for him to have. People go to war and fight for their countries and give up their lives. And New Zealand is a wonderful country with wonderful citizens who give to him every day through their comraderie and goodwill.

I wouldn't care if he retired from tests and we had a wealth of talent to replace him. But he knows that is not the case.

Maybe test cricket is just too draining for him to play and he can't mentally do it - and in which case he should explain that on radio sport instead of making cryptic comments about liking batting and not the rest of it. Also why can he play 4 day cricket but not 5 day cricket.

And in terms of not giving him anything - he is set for life. He will end up in some cricketing position as an administrator - or in business in a position that was opened up to him through his cricketing prowess.

With him in the team - we could actually be that team that 'punches above its weight'.

Even if we had Myburgh coming through the ranks I wouldn't feel like this.

Flem274*

123/5
That's a poor attitude for him to have. People go to war and fight for their countries and give up their lives. And New Zealand is a wonderful country with wonderful citizens who give to him every day through their comraderie and goodwill.
Wtf? I hate this argument. Cricket has nothing to do with war, and NZC did not go to war for him, nor did any of us ****s sitting here bagging him.

Deadset worst argument. You can use the above to justify anything. FFS, the ANZACs didn't go to war so Styris could play test cricket, they went because they were ****ing told to otherwise they'd be shot or imprisoned for cowardice.

Maybe test cricket is just too draining for him to play and he can't mentally do it - and in which case he should explain that on radio sport instead of making cryptic comments about liking batting and not the rest of it. Also why can he play 4 day cricket but not 5 day cricket.
Well you can like batting but still feel drained by fielding for ages, and I think he's made that pretty clear. I remember on Cricket Company he and Richardson had some banter over which was the best form of the game.

And in terms of not giving him anything - he is set for life. He will end up in some cricketing position as an administrator - or in business in a position that was opened up to him through his cricketing prowess.
But he's set himself up for life by working hard at his game and getting the results.

Flem274*

123/5
If thats what it takes to get into the NZ side, Phlegm would be their most experienced player by now.:ph34r:
Well the choice was I took a cricket ball to the mouth or your balls to the mouth.

The cricket ball was far more prefferable. Was in better condition too.:ph34r: