• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
O0o0o0o0o0o0oh, the covers are coming off. Surprise there. Probably not long before it rains again, but no harm in hoping.

EDIT: yep, raining again.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did too - the game between these countries at the same ground in 2001/02.

Incorrect. By 2001/02 Harris had transformed himself to bowl primarily little leg-cutters. As I said, he might have bowled the odd inswinger again after that 97 ODI, but never again achieved such effective late swing.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its amazing that 30 off 27 balls was considered a tight contest 10 years ago. How things have changed

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Incorrect. By 2001/02 Harris had transformed himself to bowl primarily little leg-cutters. As I said, he might have bowled the odd inswinger again after that 97 ODI, but never again achieved such effective late swing.
Yes, he did. He swung the ball on a fair few occasions in that Napier ODI in 2001/02. He bowled Hussain around the pads in that 2001/02 match when Hussain tried to sweep a big inswinger.

From what I've read, Harris was never a swing-bowler. He just had those 2 games on that ground where it swung for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, he did. He swung the ball on a fair few occasions in that Napier ODI in 2001/02. He bowled Hussain around the pads in that 2001/02 match when Hussain tried to sweep a big inswinger.

From what I've read, Harris was never a swing-bowler. He just had those 2 games on that ground where it swung for him.
Haha, much like Chris Martin whenever he plays at the Basin Reserve.

Harris actually was a genuine inswinger bowler for the early part of his career though. He only showed it in international cricket sparingly, but that was his main role with the ball in domestic cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So....will there be any more play today? Unlikely IMO

Any chance of England forcing a result in the last two days? Or indeed NZ? Could be interesting if either side decides to go for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

Good as that series was, we've all with any sense watched it 100s of times. You do wish they'd put something else on - the older the better. Anything from 2000 onwards is generally :yawn:-worthy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't really be terribly surprised. Just hope Tremlett is injured, as I seem to recall him being.

If not, I know I said I've run-out of adjectives to describe recent selectorial blunders, but Harmison's selection ahead of him would require the repetition of one of them.

Mind, there's probably more to be gained by him playing than there would Kirby or Onions. At least if he's ineffective again it'll reduce his chances of being selected in 2009. Not to zero, of course - the only time that'll ever happen is if he retires.

Only danger, of course, is that New Zealand implode a la West Indies Oval 2004 or Pakistan Old Trafford 2006, and we're then stuck with Harmison for another 8 or 9 ineffective Tests.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
What about Charlie Shreck, he owned Lancashire in the last county championship match, He is tall, can swing it away from right handers and has decent pace and accuracy. More than adequate as back up imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he wouldn't have played the Second Test. What worries me is that he won't now get the chance - possibly for quite a while - to play any Championship cricket. Broken thumbs can potentially take aaaaaaaages to heal.