• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

GGG

State Captain
...We don't have that strong lower order which has seen us sneak past the aussies before, so I fear this tour will dispell the 'Kiwis have it over the aussies chasing' mentality.
Thats why I really wish they would play Fulton and Guptil in their natural positions and drop mcCullum down the order, besides Vetorri there is no one with experience that can see us home.

Polo23

International Debutant
Diamanti's selection is a strange one. I would have thought if they wanted a bits and pieces player they would have gone with Hiini, since he went on the emerging players and then A tour's it would have made more sense. I've quite liked Diamanti when i've seen him, nothing spectacular but he is accurate, never thought he'd get an international game though. Fingers crossed.

A source of mine told me last night that Fulton had just got the call, another interesting selection. I suppose with Flynn and How performing so poorly in ODI's and Oram and Styris injured they wanted some experience, a fair call I suppose and to be honest, there isnt much else.

Boult is an interesting one...

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Fulton
Broom
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
O'Brien/Boult

It will be interesting to see who plays out of O'Brien and Boult, obviously O'Brien has the experience at international level but Boult is a left armer and swings it, so offers something different. I'd also prefer Southee as the first change bowler, he had great success doing it in England, and i'm worried about him getting taken to when the field is up. I'd rest Mills from the PM XI's game and play both O'Brien and Boult, whoever performs the best would get the nod for the first ODI.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I find the selection of Dirementi over Thompson to be staggering. Thompson has so many more things going for him: left armer, bowls with more pace, and is also a very handy batsmen coming in at no.9. I recall him getting a few very quick 50s in the state championship.

Polo23

International Debutant
While that side might look **** on paper, I reckon the right players (bar maybe Diamanti) are there. There are a lot of players that will be new to Australian, so straight away the squad will look weak, but don't be surprised if NZ win the series or go very close.

Polo23

International Debutant
Oh by the way, McCullum is playing for NSW in the T20 KFC Big Bash (or whatever it's called) final.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird. Hope he does well though, his knock yesterday suggests he might be finding a bit of form.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not overly thrilled with the team named, though realise the selectors weren't exactly spoiled for choice. Overall the squad just looks enormously inexperienced with Oram and Styris injured. Fulton for Flynn makes me happy because I like Fulton - don't really see who else they could have picked for that middle order spot.

Agree with all of you saying Boult is too young, not big/fast enough yet, but might benefit from being around the team for a while. Hope he doesn't play more than one game - perhaps the last dead rubber after we've already won the series 3-1 :laugh:

Diamanti is the most odd selection, obviously. Surely Elliott already fills the quasi-allrounder-when-we-don't-have-Oram role?

O'Brien for Gillespie is the other interesting one. I was thinking that O'Brien probably deserves a go with good test performances, and of course Gillespie is erratic as we know. But who will bowl at the death now? O'Brien? Don't think he does that for Wellington.