• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Some people are born with it, but there's a few examples of dudes gaining pace floating around the world so I reckon it's probably uncommon but not unachievable.

It's good to see some young guys hitting decent speeds. Milne has been clocked at 146kph (Champions League) and Small 143kph (U19 WC), while Verma is apparently fast and Mathieson and Boult are no slouches.
From what was being said in the "how fast is fast" thread Mathieson is pretty rapid - mid 140s.

Wheeler must be close to 140 also.

CD bowling first and opening with Bracewell. Can he swing the ball? Looking at the overhead conditions out here and it might help the ball move a little.

Howsie

International Captain
Southee posted 140 k's on his 20/20 debut, and was bowling in the mid to high 130's in his test debut. His average pace has probably wobbled up and down since then, but it's not really any faster than when he was first introduced.
The odd ball sure, but he'd usually hover around the 130-135 mark during his first year of international cricket. He was bowling quicker then he ever has before against Australia earlier this year where he was consistently around the 140K mark - espeically in the one day series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

CD bowling first and opening with Bracewell. Can he swing the ball? Looking at the overhead conditions out here and it might help the ball move a little.
Says who? While Wheeler has apparently put on a bit of pace, he was pretty pedestrian to begin with at the U19WC last year. Would be shocked if he was any quicker than about 135.

Flem274*

123/5
From what was being said in the "how fast is fast" thread Mathieson is pretty rapid - mid 140s.

Wheeler at the U 19 WC was medium pace. Haven't seen him since so no idea how quick he bowls now. Swung the ball nicely at the WC though.

From what I've gathered Mathieson isn't ultra rapid-high 130s to low 140s-but the bounce he gets from his height makes him feel a lot quicker.

CD vs Auckland has started and Auckland have been inserted by CD.

Auckland

Jeet Raval
Andrew de Boorder :huh:
Brad Cachopa
Greg Todd
Colin de Grandhomme
Anaru Kitchen
Andre Adams
Michael Bates
Gareth Shaw
Some dude Munro
Bhuphinder Singh

Central

Peter Ingram
Carl Cachopa
Brad Patton
Mathew Sinclair
Tim Weston
Kruger van Wyk
Kieran Noema-Barnett
Doug Bracewell
Tarun Nethula
Seth Rance
Mitchell McClenaghan

What. The. ****.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The odd ball sure, but he'd usually hover around the 130-135 mark during his first year of international cricket. He was bowling quicker then he ever has before against Australia earlier this year where he was consistently around the 140K mark - espeically in the one day series.
Don't remember that to be honest, didn't watch much of the test series v Aus. I've never seen him bowl quicker than the 135+ spell he bowled in his first morning of test cricket.

Howsie

International Captain
Don't remember that to be honest, didn't watch much of the test series v Aus. I've never seen him bowl quicker than the 135+ spell he bowled in his first morning of test cricket.
It was the second ODI against Australia at Eden Park iirc. Easily the quickest spell I've ever seen him bowl, his speed was right up there with Bond's and Hopkins was taking good length balls right up by his face.

Blocky

Banned
Re: Anurag. When he's bowling balls to the wall, full tilt, he's quick - 145kmh - but I don't see him able to do that regularly. The exciting thing about him is that he's always going to be a guy who bowls late 130s and if his batting continues to improve, can offer you a 5-6-7-8 batsman.

Re: Mathieson. Absolutely glad he's getting a chance at first class, hope he charges in, forgets about being nice/respectful and just goes at it. There is a guy who just bowls quick regardless, he bowls 144-145kmh in his natural delivery stride, not his effort ball. He's been working on fitness and leg strength in the off season to develop more consistency, bowl longer spells and stem injuries but he's a tall guy with a tall action and will only improve.

Re: Developing pace as a bowler, I say it's possible, I just think it comes down to training, getting the right technique, having the right mentality for it and above all else, being prepared to bowl and bowl and bowl.

Iain O'Brien, Shane Bond, Dion Nash, Shane Watson, Shane Lee and a fair few others showed improvements in their pace, even after their early twenties. Bond went from a 130-135kmh bowler prior to his police training to a 150-156kmh bowler.

O'Brien went from an average 125kmh bowler to a 140kmh bowler through persistence, hard work, resistance bowling (into the wind) and desire.

I think if you want to add pace, you train for it - you do hill sprints, you do endurance running, you do plyometrics, you do kettle bell exercises but most importantly, you bowl! You bowl at least 6 overs a day and up to 15 on heavy training days and you bowl at near full effort the entire time, you bowl with the intent of being quicker, you get your technique right to help you with that (Ian Pont's drop step, using javelin mechanics, etc) and you'll start developing pace.

I think the problem is most coaches try and train you out of that mentality and train you into a line and length mentality, the two shouldn't be at the expense of one another.

Blocky

Banned
Also funny watching Owen Ivins batting at 10 and 11 for ND.

He opens the batting for my club side with Mitchell Santner, ahead of Nick Horsley and is extremely capable with the bat, I think he's even opened for Hamilton.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Iain O'Brien, Shane Bond, Dion Nash, Shane Watson, Shane Lee and a fair few others showed improvements in their pace, even after their early twenties. Bond went from a 130-135kmh bowler prior to his police training to a 150-156kmh bowler.

O'Brien went from an average 125kmh bowler to a 140kmh bowler through persistence, hard work, resistance bowling (into the wind) and desire.
When are you referring to? When O'Brien made his debut as a test bowler in 2005, he was already capable of bowling at 140 k's. He put on a little extra pace in his last series against Pakistan (I'd certainly never seen him bowl as consistently above 140 prior to that series), but he was always towards the faster end of fast medium.

Blocky

Banned
When are you referring to? When O'Brien made his debut as a test bowler in 2005, he was already capable of bowling at 140 k's. He put on a little extra pace in his last series against Pakistan (I'd certainly never seen him bowl as consistently above 140 prior to that series), but he was always towards the faster end of fast medium.
His debut, he bowled 125 to 135 km/h and that was considered quick for him. Prior to that when constantly taking wickets for Welly, he was military medium at best, the guy went from being in his 3rd 11 club side to representatives in the space of a year, based mostly on pace improvement

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
His debut, he bowled 125 to 135 km/h and that was considered quick for him. Prior to that when constantly taking wickets for Welly, he was military medium at best, the guy went from being in his 3rd 11 club side to representatives in the space of a year, based mostly on pace improvement
Nah, on his debut v Australia he was hitting 140, I remember the commentators being surprised by his pace, as he was probably the quickest bowler New Zealand played in that match. He might've been a medium pacer in his early years as a domestic bowler, but by the time he was bumped into the test side he was a definite fast medium.

Blocky

Banned
Nah, on his debut v Australia he was hitting 140, I remember the commentators being surprised by his pace, as he was probably the quickest bowler New Zealand played in that match. He might've been a medium pacer in his early years as a domestic bowler, but by the time he was bumped into the test side he was a definite fast medium.
You sure? I remember him surprising people in England when he went there after his debut because he was quicker than anyone on either side in some matches but don't recall him being quick against Aussie. Unfortunately the commentary history on cricinfo doesn't include anything

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You sure? I remember him surprising people in England when he went there after his debut because he was quicker than anyone on either side in some matches but don't recall him being quick against Aussie. Unfortunately the commentary history on cricinfo doesn't include anything
I imagine he probably surprised people in England because they made the same assumptions about his pace that we all did. A jouneyman kiwi bowler, must be in the low 130's. He definately gained an extra yard of pace right toward the end of his career, but he was no slouch to begin with either.

Another factor was that his test debut wasn't particularly impressive, so a lot of people probably forgot about the pace he showed.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
I imagine he probably surprised people in England because they made the same assumptions about his pace that we all did. A jouneyman kiwi bowler, must be in the low 130's. He definately gained an extra yard of pace right toward the end of his career, but he was no slouch to begin with either.
Having talked to guys who played him in club stuff, he was supposedly a 120kmh bowler up unti, he was 26 or 27. That isn't a slouch?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Having talked to guys who played him in club stuff, he was supposedly a 120kmh bowler up unti, he was 26 or 27. That isn't a slouch?
I meant by the time he entered test cricket. As you say, he might have been military medium in his mid 20's. I never saw much of him back then.

Blocky

Banned
I meant by the time he entered test cricket.
Well yeah, but my point here is he developed that speed past his early twenties and continued to develop into his 30s, he puts it down to wanting to bowl faster and running into the wind as much as possible.