• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

ataraxia

International Coach
oh ffs they really dropped Johnson? He's had a bad season but surely should come in for McPeake or Snedden.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnson is just injured, isn't he? Wasn't in the 13 to travel, didn't turn out for Hutt District.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually there are two catches on that club scorecard credited to TJ. Batting order wasn't listed accurately because they were only 40/1 at stumps.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I guess if you knew you weren't gonna play him it'd make some sense to give him a game in club cricket to regain some form, but still.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if he still is.

Deadset some domestic lads will check here and reddit occasionally to see the chat about them and get real mad but know posting isn't a good idea.
Didn't some NZ cricketer come on here once only to storm off as a poster refused to believe they where that player?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Didn't some NZ cricketer come on here once only to storm off as a poster refused to believe they where that player?
Martin Crowe using the handle Hogan. I wasn't on the forum at the time, but saw that thread later on. I think it was when he was making his club cricket comeback. It was pretty embarrassing the way some people questioned him tbh. He actually gave quite an interesting account of what happened during the WC semi loss to Pakistan. RIP.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Yep it was Martin Crowe with user name Hogan - he joined to discuss his return to playing club cricket again at 48.

Here's the thread.

Many of the posters doubted it was him and weren't very welcoming.

SteveNZ:

"As I said before, that's not a personal contribution to club cricket. He didn't go out to score Test centuries so little Johnny would wander down to the park and sign up. He did for personal gain be it money, fame etc and for team a distant second I would suggest. Throwing John Wright under a bus re his tactics in the 92 semi and saying we would've won if he stayed fit is a perfect summation of Martin Crowe's ego.

Trust me, Martin Crowe is not getting within a mile of the Auckland side. And again, if he wants to be in a hurry so he can get 1-2 FC tons - he is being completely self-serving. He's not above club cricket. He's not even above 2nd grade, on his results so far.

And I argue he's drawing negative attention for the game. What have we seen in the media so far? A 49 year old's self-confessed mid-life crisis, poor standard of pitches, over-appealing and murmurs of being above the normal process of being selected for sides. Ask people involved in the running of Papatoetoe if they're happy with the coverage their club has gained out of Crowe 'gracing' their ground. They are far from it.

And he's gained far more column inches than the first week of the Plunket Shield, where there were several performances from players who actually have futures in the game (at levels other than golden oldies). How about this one - there was a young talent in the Auckland Gillette Cup final today who took four wickets and scored runs, is a member of the Blues rugby development squad and is being head-hunted by a few NRL clubs. Yet a has-been is the news.

If he came back to the game for the right reasons, great. I was actually welcoming of it when I initially heard. But not now."

James (site owner), closed the thread and had this to say:

"Given the way a small minority of members singularly failed to give Martin the welcome and respect he deserved I'm closing this thread now he has had the last word.

This is not a bar on discussing the man who I would say is the finest batsmen New Zealand has produced, but it is a lesson for those who need it not to jump to conclusions that involve insulting new members.

If you want to continue discussing Martin's return to club cricket, then please open a new thread."

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Ugh. That's not my finest hour. And his reply was all class.
Sounds like he could see where you were coming from and didn’t take it personally or anything. Wanted to catch up for a beer, can’t beat that!

I want to see all the deleted posts in that thread that are mentioned though! Seems like it was absolute chaos haha