• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Howsie

International Captain
Is Fisher injured or something? He's barely bowled today.
He’s fielding, don’t know what is up with that. I noticed last round he didn’t get the ball until very late in the piece either. Same with Sears in this round. Maybe a directive from higher up in the NZ setup. Don’t know why else these two wouldn’t be getting a much newer ball to work with

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Decent performance by McComb in the A match. Good economy, 6 wickets across the game. I know the pitch in Napier has traditionally been more conducive to spin, but this early in the season? (noting that Wellington have McComb, Younghusband and Tashkoff all in the team and CD A have Lennox and Johnson which does suggest a spinny wicket was in the offing)
Yes, there was plenty of wear being scuffed into Nelson Park for three days over Labour weekend.

Interesting that Vishvaka is active in club T20 for Johnsonville, but not Wellington A. You could tell from the tone of nzfan's posts that he was never exactly one of the Wellington School of Cricket glamour children or a Wellington College 1st XI captain like Bhula was, but maybe they just figured they've seen enough from Devan at domestic A level. They might get back to him to give a bit of agricultural humpty to some weaker or slower bowling in March.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Should note for the Macewell pile-on brigade , that he's in a different country, while a different captain is bowling Sears and Ravindra as 5th and 6th change.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Equality and harm avoidance. Trundle quietly and unassumingly, but if they get all South African on you and they've reached 150/3 or something rather than 80 all out, you can bring out the big stick.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Duffy to be the next great trundler for the NZ test team hooray
I think he would be adequate, in his current form anyway. But also extremely similar to Southee and somewhat similar to Jamieson and Henry, which would make for a very samey attack. If Southee was injured I wouldn't have any qualms about picking Duffy.

But at the same time, Sears is 25 in Feb, N Smith is 24 and Fisher is 23 - none of those are too young to play a test and bowl 15 overs per day (with NZ having a fifth bowler).

Flem274*

123/5
I think he would be adequate, in his current form anyway. But also extremely similar to Southee and somewhat similar to Jamieson and Henry, which would make for a very samey attack. If Southee was injured I wouldn't have any qualms about picking Duffy.

But at the same time, Sears is 25 in Feb, N Smith is 24 and Fisher is 23 - none of those are too young to play a test and bowl 15 overs per day (with NZ having a fifth bowler).
Sears needs to be trusted with proper overs now. Smith is/was, and Fisher should be too. We need 25-30 year olds ready to go with imminent retirements and unavailability from the current quartet. Only KJ is under 30 and injuries always loom.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sears needs to be trusted with proper overs now.
I'll give them a bit of a pass seeing he had no club overs to prove he was over the ab niggle leading into that round, but it'll be interesting to keep tabs on, medium-term.

In contrast to the Nathan Smith or Will O'Rourke bracket, if you're bowling at 145+, I suppose everyone knows you've immediately shot up from maybe a 30% chance to a 90% chance of becoming richer via Indian, Australian and English play than the home board can make you. They won't talk bluntly about that part, but it's bound to now play a role in how much cotton wool a young bowler gets wrapped in.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Excellent start to Thorn Parkes' domestic career in a low-scorer.

Annoying there aren't any clips from the CD/Canterbury game after day 1.
Stoked to see this. Almost four years since I noticed he was dominating Gillette Cup and had big raps on him from David White.