• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Back on the subject of Plunket Shield - and on the structure of the season with covid interruption for ND and Auckland.

If NZC manage* to re-schedule all rounds for these 2 teams. Then we will have the unusual situation of all 8 for Auckland (and 6 out of 8 for ND) being played in late summer / early Autumn. Which will be a great opportunity for a spinner to top the wickets table for the first time since Ajaz - since the dukkaburra and the greentops of the last 2 to 3 seasons. Jono Walker getting a flat one in Central Otago in Spring was a fortunate start for him.

* But, as if NZC will re-schedule them all. They simply don't appear to like cricket enough for that much hassle.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, don't think there's any chance of those games being rescheduled. Would require Auckland in particular to basically be playing until the end of April, unless NZC does something like cancel some Ford Trophy games (which ain't gonna happen a year out from the World Cup).

Immenso

I also can't see it. But there actually wouldn't be anything wrong with playing until the end of April (in Auckland and ND home venues especially).

I'm not sure when the domestic contracts finish. Are for 7 months IIRC, Maybe finish at the start of April. As I say, would involve 'hassle', or, as it is also called; 'work'.

Immenso

I'm also curious to see what will happen with the National U19 Tournament this year.

In a year with an U19 world cup. The national tournament would usually begin at the start of December. So, obviously is not happening as per their original paper schedule. Also, NZ have already pulled out of the world cup.

So, with no team going to the world cup. And the Lincoln fortnight up in smoke - what will they do?

There is no necessity to make it a 50 over tournament this year, therefore.

By my reckoning the last time the U19s included a round of 3-day cricket in the competition was 2014/15 season.
Causation or correlation? Not many good cricketers have come through that tournament to graduate to FC since then. Only Ravindra from the batters? Chu and N Smith who can bat as a secondary skill, and Sears? Even Finn Allen, for all his talents, is a FC struggler. Georgeson looks the part.

Not enough multi-day cricket at young ages? Or just a generational quirk?

Immenso

Even at provincial 'A' level, I'm concerned.

I know that the archive doesn't always get all games loaded, certainly not in advance. But at this stage it looks like only one 3-day game each province (highlighted).

All the rest are one-dayers.

1638134393052.png

BTW, what are those NZ XI games? I wonder if they were originally scheduled as warm up games for the NZ U19s before they left for the U19WC?

ataraxia

International Coach
Hamish Bennett captaining Wellington in the Ford Trophy this season. Had Troy Johnson captain the last half of last season's competition; for some reason Macewell isn't keen on captaining in this format.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What a strange looking surface at the Basin. Looks like Steve Carrell's chest following his incomplete wax job in 40 year old virgin.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I know the Ford Trophy is the ebarrassing uncle of domestic cricket, but that was a noteworthy collapse from Otago chasing 255 to lose today. Lost Broom last ball of the 39th over and then needed 53 off the final ten overs with 5 wickets in hand... and were bowled out for 242.

Immenso

It is confusing, or weird, that there is team named Northern Nights in Ireland, with FC status, (and Luke Georgeson has played for them)

nzfan

It is confusing, or weird, that there is team named Northern Nights in Ireland, with FC status, (and Luke Georgeson has played for them)
Northern is a domestic side in Ireland domestic comp. Georgeson plyed his trade with them last year, I think he holds Irish passport as well. You can safely predict he will be an international cricketer :)

nzfan

I know the Ford Trophy is the ebarrassing uncle of domestic cricket, but that was a noteworthy collapse from Otago chasing 255 to lose today. Lost Broom last ball of the 39th over and then needed 53 off the final ten overs with 5 wickets in hand... and were bowled out for 242.
Broomy still going strong. He's super fit though and for the sake of Otago hope he plays another couple of years unless guys like Llew Johnson etc are ready for that level. I'd definitely like to see Llew Johnson in the line up. He's a pocket dynamite. Good player....

Great to see Josh Finnie another very good player but barely came to lime light. His bowling was touted as one for the future but for some reason it never took off. Didn't help he doesn't want to play red ball cricket where he would have likely bowled way more than few token overs.

nzfan

I'm also curious to see what will happen with the National U19 Tournament this year.

In a year with an U19 world cup. The national tournament would usually begin at the start of December. So, obviously is not happening as per their original paper schedule. Also, NZ have already pulled out of the world cup.

So, with no team going to the world cup. And the Lincoln fortnight up in smoke - what will they do?

There is no necessity to make it a 50 over tournament this year, therefore.

By my reckoning the last time the U19s included a round of 3-day cricket in the competition was 2014/15 season.
Causation or correlation? Not many good cricketers have come through that tournament to graduate to FC since then. Only Ravindra from the batters? Chu and N Smith who can bat as a secondary skill, and Sears? Even Finn Allen, for all his talents, is a FC struggler. Georgeson looks the part.

Not enough multi-day cricket at young ages? Or just a generational quirk?
There are lot of players that came through the 19s. If not from NZ U19s they did from their province. Obviously you know the likes of Sears, Ravindra, Allen, Smith etc...

Clarkson, Finnie, Bhula, Will O'Donnell, Zac Gibson, Matt Fishcer and a whole lot of them. I don't think any young one has played first class through club stats. If they're good enough at club they will have played age group. Even the likes of Cooper, McClure, Leo Carter etc either have been involved in NZ 19s or the provincial 19s team.

I guess they'll be playing the u19s tourney this year too, I'm not sure if 3 day format has made a come back though. The 3 day format I think is now between the provinces themselves to arrange as in you play the nearest province like Wellington plays CD in couple of 3 dayers home and away. Likewise Canterbury vs Otago and Auckland vs ND (if permitting).

I know NZ backed out of the u19s in WI citing the MIQ won't sit well with young kids. As harsh as it may sound it is true that some of the notable youngish players have suffered due to MIQ. Depression and what not. I won't name names but they have. NZC obviously won't say but then they had to make a hard decision to say out of the tournament to avoid similar scenarios. Imagine few kids not having gone great in the u19s tourney and then they have to stay on their own for like a fortnight. Some may cope but you never know how young kids with dreams may cope with it. I don't think they would have risked sending young kids over in commercial flights due to covid as well.

Also the fact that some of the players upper north will miss out and the team will be made up mostly of other provinces would have swayed that decision too. Shame the deserving kids miss out but I think that is the right decision to make.

Immenso

Yes. Ulster basically split into 2 teams. As the north west is a hotbed. As well as the north east around Belfast (Which is Northern Nights).
Northern Cricket Union of Ireland.

But, honestly. How many pro / FC level cricket teams are there in the world? How many are called "Northern". Someone needed google before they chose their nicknames. I'm not sure which of them was first with the use of "Knights". NCU predates ND by about 70 years (1880s as opposed to 1950s). But Knights?

Last edited:

nzfan

Hamish Bennett captaining Wellington in the Ford Trophy this season. Had Troy Johnson captain the last half of last season's competition; for some reason Macewell isn't keen on captaining in this format.
Strange that... Troy did a great job last year as captain. Maybe he's still not 100%... I wouldn't have thought Bennett would have wanted captaincy.

Immenso

There are lot of players that came through the 19s. If not from NZ U19s they did from their province. Obviously you know the likes of Sears, Ravindra, Allen, Smith etc...

Clarkson, Finnie, Bhula, Will O'Donnell, Zac Gibson, Matt Fishcer and a whole lot of them. I don't think any young one has played first class through club stats. If they're good enough at club they will have played age group. Even the likes of Cooper, McClure, Leo Carter etc either have been involved in NZ 19s or the provincial 19s team.
Of course they come through the provincial and national U19s. That's the pathway. That's not my point.

My point is that they haven't been very good, at red ball, since about the McClure crop. And only about 4 or 5 payers out of the last 7 years can crack Plunket Shield.

So, why?

I made a link to 3 day U19s. Causation or correlation.

Of course there are others.

- A generational bulge of talent just ahead of them blocking some paths.
- Reduction of Plunket Shield from 10 rounds to 8.
- The contract-creep of the Domestic contracts. Now up to 16 per province. (They once were 14, then 15). Meaning a Finn Walker for E.g. will get a game, because that's his job (even if primary reason for contracting him may have been the T20s), if ND come upon a double-spinner wicket in PS. If there were only 14 contracts then they may through one off opportunities earlier to a kid with free time like Tim Pringle.

Basically. A worrying lack of development seems to be happening at that vital 19 to 20 year age bracket.
We are digging a hole.

Immenso

Can't believe I am lamenting the lack of kids, and NZFan is defending the pathways and systems.

South is North.

What's happened to the throw the kids in NZFan we all knew?

nzfan

Can't believe I am lamenting the lack of kids, and NZFan is defending the pathways and systems.

South is North.

What's happened to the throw the kids in NZFan we all knew?
100% want the kids into the system but then there are only so many you can get. We were spoilt for richness from mid 2010s to late 2010s. Think of it, Fraser Sheat, Troy Jonshon, Will O'Donnell, Nathan Smith, K Clarke, Clarkson, Z Gibson to name a few have all settled into red ball sides. From the previous u19 WC squad and the provincial squads I have like 5-6 kids in mind. Most are getting reasonable attention from each of the province. The blockers for the upcoming players now are not the aged ones anymore. Most of the province seem to have mid 20 to late 20 players or older stellar performers.

There are 16 contracts yes but then there are not enough going out of contract or you can't justify cutting them. Take for instance Jakob Bhula from Wellington. Had an amazing NZ U19 campaign. Duly got a contract a year after. Played very few plunkett shield games the first three years, he got a reasonable run this year but then the decks were super challenging. From memory he may have played maybe 6 games so far. That is just not enough sample size to work out if he will come good. In the meantime we have tried Nick Greenwood as well, looks a solid player. Hasn't score lots but definitely has very good potential. Luke Georgeson is here to say, I see massive future for him.

In Wellington, we have the likes of Jesse Tashkoff who can't even break into Wellington A side let along firebirds. He captained NZ U19s only recently. Pretty good bat and a good left arm orthodox.

Of all the centres, Wellington is giving caps out left, right and center. I have no problem with that, all of them deserved it and we are missing most to BCs which is not a bad thing.