• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I agree but thought Chu was Vietnamese-NZ? I might be wrong.
Could be both/ E.g. a lot of the boat people refugees of the 1970s and 1980s were ethnic Chinese Vietnamese. particularly christians.

But, the internet also says Chu can be a Vietnamese name.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Could be both/ E.g. a lot of the boat people refugees of the 1970s and 1980s were ethnic Chinese Vietnamese. particularly christians.

But, the internet also says Chu can be a Vietnamese.
Either way, it is great to see more Eurasian NZers in cricket. Chapman, McClure and Chu are all representatives of the future of NZ.

Despite living in Footscray which is famously Melbourne's "Little Saigon" I've only encountered one Vietnamese Australian player in club cricket but I've not met many east Asian NZers in cricket there either. There's a big percentage of the population both nations are missing out on, but I am not really qualified to speak about how to fix that.

Chewie

I think with a large number of East Asian immigrants only moving to NZ in the past 20 years or so, eventually their kids who will have gone to school in NZ will play more cricket and decide to take it more seriously, and the reason that we are not represented more highly in age-level or domestic first class teams currently is because prior to that point, there were far less East Asians in NZ.

vandem

International 12th Man
ND approach this morning a little strange. Currently added 82 runs from 34 overs = 2.4 rpo. Still only 1 wicket lost but now need to go at 4s for 4th batting point. Nightwatchman Randell has been safe but slow, leaving a lot of balls outside off. Perhaps they don't care about bonus points, just want to run the Otago seamers into the ground and then hit out in final session?

Edit, at lunch, have added 83 runs in 36 overs @ 2.3 rpo. Need 4.5 rpo now for 4th bonus point if my maths is correct.

ataraxia

International Coach
Jogging all-run four for Cooper to reach his century. If they had gone harder they could've got 5 lol.

vandem

International 12th Man
Popli in at #4, currently 0* (10). I hope the missing bonus point isn't an issue at the end of the season.

Edit, 4th batting bonus point missed, 2-324 at 110 overs so 26 runs short (with hitters de Grandhomme and Hampton still to bat). Lack of intent again? I thought 4th inning vs Canty last week was poor, over after over of RM / RMF and not testing out Canty #10's footwork with a little spin.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
It's odd that Henry Cooper, who doesn't play many senior T20s, has reverse-swept a couple of sixes in an FC match. Anyway, a well played 200! Has increased the tempo really well.

edit: and... jinxed him, lbw going for another reverse sweep lol. time for CdG fireworks.

Last edited:

nzfan

Just finished watching Cooper's 200, he's been very consistent over the years. Any other era there would be enough noise to get him in the national side. I think he played few A games last year. There is hope and he's not that old either.

Awesome by Chu, stoked for the kid. Have seen lot of him over the years from the age group cricket. Not one of those Gilly or Pant type but a gutsy bat nevertheless. So good to see so many young kids on the circuit making good impact.

nzfan

Good deck I reckon, movement on the first day, flattened out by the 3rd and turn on the 4th. Wish we could make decks like that in Wellington.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I really enjoyed the Supersmash last summer with most of the BC's present. Was just great to have top level cricket back on FTA tv and you could really see the payout with the 6000ish crowd that turned up for the final at the Basin.

Won't be quite the same this year, with most of the players either away in India or back in MIQ for the first month, but it'll be fun to see Allen going back to the only road he's ever known against a pretty strong Canterbury bowling attack.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Could really make Dale Phillips if he can save this. Either a well deserved win for ND or a very gutsy draw for Otago coming up.

ataraxia

International Coach
ND justifying their picking of 6 bowlers as Kuggeleijn and Hampton both get injured. Disappointed Cooper didn't bowl in that last innings tbh.