• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

jcas0167

International Debutant
Reading about Schmulian I came across a comment where he says he rates this South African leg-spinner, GC Pretorious. There seem to be a few South Africans plying their trade there.

Pretorius played first-class (three-day) cricket for Easterns semi-professionally and had a brief stint under Devon Hotel Central Districts Stags coach Heinrich Malan when he coached there three years ago.

He also conducts training sessions for the Pay Excellence Hawke's Bay senior men's representative team that Schaw coaches.

"I'd love to play for the Stags and the Black Caps, if things are going really well."
Cricket: 'Proper' career entices visitor - NZ Herald

Some more snippets on the Hawkes Bay scene. Leopard to open the batting:

"For example, former under-19 New Zealand cricketer Christian Leopard will open the batting with Smith while Brad Schmulian is likely to come in at first drop.

He's a kind of guy who'll hit a big ball and that'll give him a free range in the first 10 overs," says Schaw of Leopard, a Big Barrell Napier Technical Old Boys (NTOB) allrounder.

He expects Schmulian, a Bayley's Real Estate Havelock North player the club enticed from Auckland, should stamp his mark as well.

"Brad's a player that can tick the score and someone who can play in different ways, really."

You Travel Taradale South African import Dean Foxcroft also caught his eye with the bat during the annual Kilbirnie Sports Twenty20 invitational tournament in the Bay a fortnight ago.

The former South Africa under-19 representative is making his debut for the Bay and, akin to fellow compatriot from CHB Giliam Christoffel (GC) Pretorius, has pledged his allegiance to New Zealand cricket.

"GC is very unfortunate to miss out but Ajaz is the master of the game in CD so we're pretty lucky to have him available for the weekend."

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That hip injury from years ago is still bugging Watling, is it? Anyway, Henry Cooper's in for him on Monday.

NSW have sent Canterbury a left-armer, Daniel Sams. Andrew Ellis to play as mainly a bowler.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...be-bolstered-by-captain-australian-allrounder

ND will bring a strong team south, featuring recent Black Caps Dean Brownlie and Scott Kuggeleijn, but lacking test wicketkeeper BJ Watling, who is out with a hip injury.
Canterbury squad: Andrew Ellis (c), Chad Bowes, Jack Boyle, Michael Pollard, Ken McClure, Leo Carter, Cole McConchie, Daniel Sams, Cameron Fletcher Tim Johnston, Will Williams, Blake Coburn, Fraser Sheat.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeets is really clubbing them today. I expect him to handle this upcoming new ball spell from Wagner with his usual stoicism.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

All the Plunket players you loved following on your dial-up connection, they're still great.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That hip injury from years ago is still bugging Watling, is it? Anyway, Henry Cooper's in for him on Monday.

NSW have sent Canterbury a left-armer, Daniel Sams. Andrew Ellis to play as mainly a bowler.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...be-bolstered-by-captain-australian-allrounder
I think this is the first time I've seen an injured allrounder make an early return as essentially bowling-only. Usually the injuries are such that they return to batting first.

It makes sense given what the injury is, but it's certainly a rae situation.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Bet365 finally feeling confident enough in their algorithms to offer a highest individual score market in NZ domestic cricket. Nice to see.

Mind you, they have been known for thinking a NZ domestic T20 will start hours later than it does, which is always a great day. :happy:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I did speculate on some engine room action from Ben Horne in the other game. I'll now need a nice slow knock at the other end from Chapman.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
This could be the year for firebirds to claim 4 day title. They're playing brilliant cricket. There's decent depth as well. All facets needed for 4 day comp is in good shape ands ask key members are firing consistently. Hoping for a big year.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This could be the year for firebirds to claim 4 day title. They're playing brilliant cricket. There's decent depth as well. All facets needed for 4 day comp is in good shape ands ask key members are firing consistently. Hoping for a big year.
I’m looking forward to being massively disappointed come early next year.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ken McClure doesn't have time for leg-side traps it seems, what excellent highlights from that innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2 games, 2 innings wins. Bennett looking like he's in really beastly form atm. I don't see anyway for him to really add to his solo test appearance, but it's great from Wellington's pov. van Beek also looking like he's bowling with some good pace these days (that dismissal of Finnie in the first innings looked particularly sharp).

jcas0167

International Debutant
Back to back wins inside 3 days. Edgar & Pocknall the next Black Caps coaches? I wasn't that enthused about the arrival of Van Beek, but he seems to have lifted his game along with Bennett. Former NZ junior Hockey representative McPeake & Newton seem to be pitching in nicely too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
van Beek is succeeding just to spite me for not having picked him in a domestic selector draft. Ive always picked him and hes always a total spud.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ryder's looking as languid and brutal as ever. His strokeplay and shot selection also look much improved from the cbf days. Le sigh.

Last edited: