• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Yeah I certainly hope Edgar's attempts to make Nathan Smith aware of how uncluttered and exciting the new ball opportunities are up here still went ahead.
Maaate, you're dreaming. There's every chance he gets an Otago contract, let's be honest.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Maaate, you're dreaming. There's every chance he gets an Otago contract, let's be honest.
Why settle for just getting a contract though, when you can put that gun seam presentation to work with the new ball immediately. No running towels and water bottles out to Duffy, Wagner, Hunter, Barnes and Soper to earn your stripes, probably regressing like Duffy because of all the coaching instability going on down there. Leave school, straight on telly with the new ball for Wellington. That's the shrewdest move, if he knows what's good for him.

Last edited:

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
National contract list to expand to 21 with ..... George Worker to pickup a contract.

Only a SINGLE wellingtonian to be named. No surprises there, but what a sorry state of affairs for Wellington cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
National contract list to expand to 21 with ..... George Worker to pickup a contract.

Only a SINGLE wellingtonian to be named. No surprises there, but what a sorry state of affairs for Wellington cricket.
And even that Wellingtonian shouldn't be there/wasn't bred there. Mind you, Otago would want to look at their age-group/A/developmental processes as well, given all three of theirs came to the province as FC players.

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why settle for just getting a contract though, when you can put that gun seam presentation to work with the new ball immediately. No running towels and water bottles out to Duffy, Wagner, Hunter, Barnes and Soper to earn your stripes, probably regressing like Duffy because of all the coaching instability going on down there. Leave school, straight on telly with the new ball for Wellington. That's the shrewdest move, if he knows what's good for him.
Sadly for you, I'm 99 percent sure he is locked in with an Otago contract. Only one of the current bunch is debating about whether or not to stay in the south.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How dare he turn down a lead acting role from Edgar & Kippax studios, just to be a glorified extra in a local movie, maybe getting two or three lines of dialogue.

Sometimes you just can't expect kids from small towns like Oamaru to be assertive or to make shrewd plays with what they've got. Enjoy those Otago clays and atmospheric conditions, Nathan. I'll be doubly keen now to watch you get nothing through the air or off the pitch.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
**** that took me a long time to track down when the major associations contracts are actually being published. June 28.

OnTheBank

I expect Nathan Smith to at least play a significant number of games of short form cricket, probably batting at nine in front of Duffy and Wagner or Barnes.

And while Otago may not have the best itches for bowling going around, at least the association isn't known to be the most toxic in the country like Welly Cricket is.

OnTheBank

Pretty sure transfers have to be completed by the end of this week.

One association is trying to lure an Otago player back home.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Edgar and Arnel could've taught Smith plenty tbh. Anyway, Edgar will appreciate that he's attending high school right until the end. We'll renew our raid in earnest next year.

OnTheBank

Good luck with that.

But one advantage Otago has is a group of lads who are either from here or are very loyal to the province... So for Smith to be involved with the likes of Bracewell, Rutherford, Finnie, Duffy, DeBoorder (I know he's from Auckland), Craig (likewise)... They're all passionate about Otago, and I'm sure Nathan Smith would feel the same, I know he is very well thought of my the association management.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but sadly Macewell's game isn't really rising to the challenge, nor is Rutherford's, nor is Neesham's, nor is Craig's, nor is Duffy's. Gentle Kakanui clay roads with good old Tom Tamati at Uni Oval and great banter with the lads. It's possibly all a bit snug.

Get out of your comfort zone, young Otago kids. Don't let the harsh polemicists like Kippax deter you from the streets of Wellington. You're probably going to have to front up to us at some point, if you want to kick on to international level.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Please don't be Brad Wilson.
I dunno, he did score a ton and 60 not against you while outscoring everyone apart from Bharat across the season...would be an improvement on Dean/Daniel right?

I'm fairly certain it's Jimmy N. Would make sense if they can weave it in with media work such as he did on the CGW Brekky

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Neesham or Barnes perhaps ? Auckland light on pace bowling stocks. Bates retired, Quinn and Fuller " Overseas" and Randell a no show last season despite his contract. Auckland have two more weeks before domestic contracts are announced ! Pacemen reportedly a focus in the current NZC Winter Training Squad. Have not seen that WTS list ?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How dare he turn down a lead acting role from Edgar & Kippax studios, just to be a glorified extra in a local movie, maybe getting two or three lines of dialogue.

Sometimes you just can't expect kids from small towns like Oamaru to be assertive or to make shrewd plays with what they've got. Enjoy those Otago clays and atmospheric conditions, Nathan. I'll be doubly keen now to watch you get nothing through the air or off the pitch.
But as a passionate follower of the domestic game, you'd be happy with someone opting to dig in and find a path in their home province, yes? Rather than nick off at the first opportunity.

In regards to that, anyone think the housing market in Auckland is likely to play havoc with their domestic side? Teachers are exiting the area en masse and given a similarly structured domestic contract system, wouldn't it make sense? Either that or live with Mummy until your career is done...

jcas0167

International Debutant

OnTheBank

Nah it isn't Neesham, although he was playing silly buggers, the player that is pissing around has been mentioned on this.