• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I also immenso based on a number of posts you have written suspect that if someone else had said the same things as I did you would not have reacted at all. I think you may have been wound up by a number of posts I have made over the years and it all came out in your above post.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I'll lie permanently low now, given 3 of the top 4 run-scorers this year I previous wrote off as absolute mugs who deserve nothing better than artificial pitches, team kit bags, player umpires and overlapping boundaries.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He was initially compared to Kane on this message board.
Nah well it was his grip that was compared to Kane, 4.20 in.

Or maybe there was this, from a club stalwart's father, rather than a well-known cricket identity -

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503460&objectid=11015723

This 13-year-old Leopard, sporting a blond mop on a sinewy frame, is the cub of bushman Kevin and Lesley Leopard, of Napier.

The initiated in cricketing circles here are touting Christian Leopard as the next phenomenon from Hawke's Bay since the explosive days of Jesse Ryder.

No, in fact, Napier Technical Old Boys (NTOB) stalwart Craig Findlay says make that weight for weight, age for age better than ex-club mate and current Black Caps batsmen Ryder as well as Kane Williamson, of Northern Districts.

Pheew ... that's definitely a huge call from Findlay but his father, Harry Findlay, has watched a lion's share of talent pass through the annual Riverbend cricket camp in the Bay for the past three decades.

"Harry's seen Jesse and Kane and he reckons this kid is much better then those two were at his age," Craig Findlay, who co-ordinates the camp, says.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Kippax - the following is the first news I had of Leopard so yes probably that article rightly or wrongly.

Massive raps back in 2011 on Christian Leopard who scored 70 today for CD under 17's.

The initiated in cricketing circles here are touting Christian Leopard as the next phenomenon from Hawke's Bay since the explosive days of Jesse Ryder.

No, in fact, Napier Technical Old Boys (NTOB) stalwart Craig Findlay says make that weight for weight, age for age better than ex-club mate and current Black Caps batsmen Ryder as well as Kane Williamson, of Northern Districts.

Pheew ... that's definitely a huge call from Findlay but his father, Harry Findlay, has watched a lion's share of talent pass through the annual Riverbend cricket camp in the Bay for the past three decades.

"Harry's seen Jesse and Kane and he reckons this kid is much better then those two were at his age," Craig Findlay, who co-ordinates the camp, says.
Forget Tiger, Leopard's on prowl - Sport - Hawke's Bay Today News

Seems he took last season off to concentrate on athletics, but has returned to focus on cricket. Cricket: NOBM opt for reverse psychology in qualifier - Sport - Hawke's Bay Today News

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think I was aware of the precise status of Matt Quinn. The Cricinfo article on play at Chelmsford, however, stated the following:

"The solidity of Dixon could be a good foil, and Essex will have highest hopes for the New Zealander Matt Quinn. Both Dixon and Quinn have signed documentation with the ECB committing themselves to England, meaning that in future they would have to play in their native country as an overseas player. "

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Eh, it might be a smart move career wise. I wouldn't see Quinn ever playing a Test or more than a handful of ODIs at his current skill level.

Blain

U19 Captain
Disappointing considering his age, but he's a lanky 125KM-130KM trundler at the moment. At 23 He surely has some development in him, but I wont be losing sleep.

Jamieson is similar but 3 years younger.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Eh, it might be a smart move career wise. I wouldn't see Quinn ever playing a Test or more than a handful of ODIs at his current skill level.
Quinn an Essex local, Batesy retired, and contracted Randell not sighted . Injured ? Auckland's pace stocks looking a little thin.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Quinn an Essex local, Batesy retired, and contracted Randell not sighted . Injured ? Auckland's pace stocks looking a little thin.
Randell will play next year, he's in the same mould as Quinn - not quick, hits the deck and reasonable areas. There just wasn't a spot for him this year.

They'll have Ferguson who had a breakout season (although might be due an injury), Randell, Colin de and Grobs still take FC wickets, Tarun, and someone from another province might see an opening there. Quinn may still play for Auckland as well, just as Crachopa did. Or they'll bring over someone like McAndrew again,

Blain

U19 Captain
Auckland surely have a touch of talent to call on in the grades, rather than mediocre non NZ eligible trundlers.. Van Braak? I think that's his name..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bharat Popli named NZ Domestic Cricketer of the Year: Bharat Popli credits India after being named New Zealand domestic cricketer of the year | Stuff.co.nz

Interesting article on his background too.
Thanks for that article Heefster I had many thoughts and angles on it.

He sounds like a real thinking man's cricketer. Strangely that loses points for me. The best athletes in the world are people of few words who let their skills do the talking and jealously guard their insights and give nothing to reporters - good article - I am talking out of my arse. Just found his insights to be superior to anything I have read in a long time which I didn't know what to make of.

Secondly the thing about him valuing his Indian upbringing. I guess he came here when he was eleven so that is all good.

NZTailender

Thanks for that article Heefster I had many thoughts and angles on it.

He sounds like a real thinking man's cricketer. Strangely that loses points for me. The best athletes in the world are people of few words who have their skills do the talking with little insights and have nothing to give to reporters - good article - I am talking out of my arse. Just found his insights to be superior to anything I have read in a long time which I didn't know what to make of.

Secondly the thing about him valuing his Indian upbringing. I guess he came here when he was eleven so that is all good.
Fixed.

I mean most sportspeople can talk about their field in some way but given some of the drivel, sorry, 'insights' of former players now in commentating or 'expert' roles I don't think many of them had much going on at the best of times...

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah all of my videos ultimately aim for reactions ranging from "lol, why was this made?", up to "is this subversive or sincere?" and now "strangely hypnotic".

Ewe only no Kippax, like the sure line no's the see.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wags has done well on his county debut: 6-66
Yeah, a lot better than his last stint in county cricket turned out. I don't want people to think that Blocky has murdered me and taken over my account, but if Boult doesn't pull his socks up he could come under pressure for his new ball spot given that Wagner was reportedly swinging it pretty well.

NZTailender

Yeah, a lot better than his last stint in county cricket turned out. I don't want people to think that Blocky has murdered me and taken over my account, but if Boult doesn't pull his socks up he could come under pressure for his new ball spot given that Wagner was reportedly swinging it pretty well.
He could end up with more wickets in this match than what he got for Northants