• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
CricHQ tells me the best keeper-bat on the Auckland club cricket MVP ladder was......Ben Horne. :p

jcas0167

International Debutant
Cricket: 'Beer' ball after six - National - NZ Herald Videos

Hey, that's my exact cut of the footage. NZ Herald monitoring the thread.
McMillan and co are making light of that, but that guy should be condemned. How many full tosses followed his moronic effort to wet the ball?

btw. Thanks for uploading the earlier highlights Kippax. I'd searched in vain on the TVNZ & TV3 sites for some match highlights. Santner looks extremely promising. Pollard showed some nice flourishes too.

Also, that is one of the best shots I've seen Franklin play - I've seen him play some some superbly timed lofted on drives, but not a six over cover like that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw Peter McGlashan mention those three are dairy farmers, which is why he was happy to surrender his $8 cup of beer.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Well played to Gareth Hopkins. It's players like him that make our domestic game stronger and he has given wonderful service to NZ cricket. Good luck to him in retirement.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McMillan and co are making light of that, but that guy should be condemned. How many full tosses followed his moronic effort to wet the ball?
Yeah, what a ****ing **** that guy is. Totally unacceptable. He surely would have faced some kind of censure if that was in an international. Little prick.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A little 10-year table I made, after wondering how bad a stretch of 28 domestic competitions without silverware actually was.

Code:
      [SIZE=1]T20 OD  FC[/SIZE]
Auck   3  3  2
ND     1  3  3
CD     2  1  2
Cnty   1  1  3
Otgo   2  1  0
Wgtn   0  1  0

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Would've been so gun if Fulton had knocked ND out of the HRV, while the agribusiness didn't even really know Santner could be a thing on the right surface.

Howsie

International Captain
Santner, three or fours years ago was being talked up as the next big thing in the distirct. Vettori clone was the word, had a wonderful action, spun the ball big, nice drift etc and could obviously bat. Somewhere along the line though he tinkered with his action and now sort of just runs through the crease. He still has some mighty fine attributes but he'd probably be playing test cricket right now if he hadn't of mucked around with it.

Meridio

International Regular
Hmm, interesting. Does nothing with his front arm. Rotates nicely through the hips at delivery, but it's all in his left arm - reckon he could struggle a lot with length on a bad day.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies squads, NZ A tour of Europe squad later this week, apparently.
Sweet, looking forward to seeing the side to face Romania.

Also yeah, WI squad and what they do with those contentious extra batsman, extra fast bowler and possible extra spinner spots.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: 'Beer' ball after six - National - NZ Herald Videos

Hey, that's my exact cut of the footage. NZ Herald monitoring the thread.
What an absolute ****wit (the helmetted hick, not you Kip)

Speaking of ****wits, Gareth Hopkins is about as far from one as you'd hope. Top bloke and squeezed every inch out of his ability.

Interesting as to who will be captain..Batesy did this year obviously but isn't a natural skipper.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner, three or fours years ago was being talked up as the next big thing in the distirct. Vettori clone was the word, had a wonderful action, spun the ball big, nice drift etc and could obviously bat. Somewhere along the line though he tinkered with his action and now sort of just runs through the crease. He still has some mighty fine attributes but he'd probably be playing test cricket right now if he hadn't of mucked around with it.
Santner DWTA ftr.

2011 interview -

Northern Districts Cricket Association

You’re obviously a very youthful spin bowler, the art they say takes time, full of nuances. When did you feel like your bowling was really starting to come on?

I only started bowling spin when I was in fifth form. I used to bowl left-arm pace before that, but in the last few years I think I’ve started progressing a lot and, especially in the last two years, my bowling’s come a long way. I feel like I’ve come up the ranks quite fast, got to places I wasn’t back in the day.

Have you had mentors within the district?

Craig Ross and Jimmy Pamment have been coaching me, and (Northern Districts assistant coach) Graeme Stewart - they’re good mentors, all of them, and have helped me with cricket and just general business as well.

I guess the ultimate role model Daniel Vettori has been away on Blackcaps duty during most of your development. Have you had much to do with Dan?

The only time I’ve really bowled to him is when we’ve been brought in to bowl to the Blackcaps or Knights as net bowlers when they’re in town, out the back of Seddon. He would give me some hints - that was very helpful. Bowling to the international teams passing through was very exciting, too. I bowled to Australia, Pakistan, England. I think I was a sixth-former when I first bowled to England.

What do you really like about cricket, as a sport? What’s its hold on you?

Everything about it is a good challenge. I don’t like getting out. I don’t like getting smashed. But when you have a day, there’s a lot of satisfaction to take home. It’s a thinking game too, and I like the mental stimulation - in batting, not just in bowling. One lapse in concentration and you’re out, so it’s a good test of your mind.

Flem274*

123/5
ahem

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, interesting. Does nothing with his front arm. Rotates nicely through the hips at delivery, but it's all in his left arm - reckon he could struggle a lot with length on a bad day.
That was my immediate reaction, yeah. Apparently he is very, very accurate though (info coming from a mate who has faced him in the nets on more that one occasion. Never got a half-tracker or a full toss, by his account.)