• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NatWest Series: ENG v SA v ZIM

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
OK..

Whatever your opinions about defensive and attacking spin bowling, having a mindset that any bowling type should only ever be used in one way is going to cause more damage than problems it will solve.

Basically what Eclipse said..

There are times when bowling ought to be used to attack, and times when it's best to defend. Games can be won with defensive spin bowling if you hit the right areas and keep the runs completely shut off. It seems to have happened for Warks v Worcs and I've seen it happen many a time in the Lincs League.

So if we get much more rubbish about spinners always having to attack, there's a mass post-deleting spree on the way.

Giles did bowl 10-0-29-1 vs Pakistan earlier this summer..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
A spin bowler is not going to become a Warne or Murili if they are told to bowl deffensivly during there development period.
Problem was that his development phase was when he was a seamer

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Problem was that his development phase was when he was a seamer
Yeah I agree with you about Giles I dont think he is going to be very effective as an attacking bowler because he cant beat the batsman in flight and he does not spin the ball much.

Colin Miller was a guy who did manage to become avery good offspiner dispite only taking it up in his late 30s probably the only one I can think of who changed from a seamer to a spinner and did well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
In an interview on Sky, Opening bowler Darren Gough told Paul Allot that South Africa were a very good side, no less than six times in one minute!

Wouldnt here that kind of stuff coming from Steve Waugh, or Saurav Ganguly for that matter..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lulling them into a false sense of security?

Watches Anderson's first 2 balls disappear to the cover boundary, thinks about deleting post

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, they say that 'Catches win Matches'.

What can you say about the three so far?

First of all, one to keep the duck happy (Clarkequake), then McGrath's thighs do for the ****y skipper and finally an utter stunner from Freddie.

Great stuff. Looks a fabulous pitch too - 250-270 required, I reckon.

Langeveldt

Soutie
[RANT/] Comfortably the worst SA batting performance I have ever seen... Someone ought to tell these guys (especially Smith) to stop talking and do something... And start hitting bad balls along the ground, not straight in the air to fielders (Although Flintoff was awesome)[RANT]

At least Van Jaarsveld and Adams seem to be batting with an ounce of intelligence at the moment... Oh well...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
very good 50th over - just 3 off it.

When Giles first came on, it would have been a good idea to give him a slip.

Rich2001

International Captain
I heard a very intresting fact about this Giles bowling stuff.

Alot of pressure has been put onto Giles to bowl around the wicket, however I was listening to TSM in the car going to work and whoever was on bought this convosation up again, however one of the other guys had been speaking to Duncan Fletcher that morning and he said A Giles doesn't bowl around the wicket for two reasons, one is that being a left arm spinner bowling over the wicket cuts down on the strokes that a batsman can play and secondly the most intresting is that Giles apprantly has a fault in his action when bowling around the wicket!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I heard something similar a few days ago (although it wasn't on TMS) - no complaints by me about his bowling today though.

If he'd had a slip he could have picked a couple up - and that last over was very good.

Rikki came good too - the duck's pleased.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I thought Giles was much better after going around the wicket and was actually more economical. Okay so van Jaarsveld, Adams and Ntini aren't the best batsmen in the world but I guess what alot of people are saying (mostly Ian Botham saying it loudly enough and often enough to account for about 10 people) is that he should bowl around the wicket, at least more or the majority of the time.

I mean Ray Price bowled a really economical spell against us a couple of weeks back going around the wicket and hopefully they (Fletcher, Vaughan, Giles) will have learnt from yesterday it is possible to go around the wicket, and still be economical, but also to cause the batsmen problems at the same time?

We'll see...! :rolleyes:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nicky Bojé has broken his fibula while fielding for Martin Van Jaarsveld last night :( :(

Wont be back for another 12 weeks...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Bazza said:
I thought Giles was much better after going around the wicket and was actually more economical. Okay so van Jaarsveld, Adams and Ntini aren't the best batsmen in the world but I guess what alot of people are saying (mostly Ian Botham saying it loudly enough and often enough to account for about 10 people) is that he should bowl around the wicket, at least more or the majority of the time.

I mean Ray Price bowled a really economical spell against us a couple of weeks back going around the wicket and hopefully they (Fletcher, Vaughan, Giles) will have learnt from yesterday it is possible to go around the wicket, and still be economical, but also to cause the batsmen problems at the same time?

We'll see...! :rolleyes:

i agree