• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #41- New Zeland vs Sri Lanka - November 9th - Bengaluru (D/N)

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jcas0167

International Debutant
I was thinking NZ's best ODI XI would look like :

1.Martin Guptill
2.Devon Conway
3.Kane Williamson
4.Ross Taylor
5.Daryll Mitchell
6.Brendon McCullum (WK) (C)
7.Chris Cairns
8.Richard Hadlee
9.Daniel Vettori
10.Shane Bond
11.Trent Boult
This is pretty good although Nathan Astle or Glenn Turner might still be ahead of Conway while Crowe would be close for the 5 spot.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
The NZ all time odi side is tricky because of the keeper and opener roles.

McCullum is simultaneously one of our best openers (his world cup 2015 batting was a significant reason we made the final) and the best keeper bat, but those versions were never combined so it's cheating to give him the gloves and expect 2015 levels of batting.

The next best include Parore (great gloveman, not a #7 for an all time side), Smith (likewise) and Latham (mmm).

With openers Astle was a world class opener for his era but flopped in World Cups, Guptill you always suspect will fade off against the best quicks, Conway is class but he is still making his name and Turner has the quality of KW but played in a very different era with less opportunities.

My gut feeling is Turner and Conway are the two best players who can open and McCullum 2005-2008 was a world class keeper and very useful finisher. We forget how good he was at finding singles and strike rotation in that role, and he was Glenn Phillips quick.

Mitchell until a few months ago was not a certain starter in this world cup team. I always believed because of his test exploits and the manner of them, but he hadn't repaid the faith yet.

ashley bach

International Captain
Mate, can't recall when you arrived in India? Have NZ lost a game since you've been in the country? I'm going to stfu now but I'm feeling something!!
Haha I was shipped here at the very last moment and the day after I arrived we were flogged by the Protea's then lost to Pakistan.
Thing is though everything that happened so far this tournament is now completely irrelevant. Yesterday was the first match I made it to and have to say it was a tremendous experience. Simply cannot wait until Mumbai and honestly believe as tough as it's going to be that the Blackcaps have some
kind of chance at pulling off a miracle.

ashley bach

International Captain
This is pretty good although Nathan Astle or Glenn Turner might still be ahead of Conway still while Crowe would be close for the 5 spot.
A small call here too for Ewen Chatfield. While he wasn't extreme pace or anything, he's still one of the most economical bowlers in limited overs that
I can recall. Took his wickets @25 but over a long career had an economy rate of 3.5 which is sublime in any day of age.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
McCullum is simultaneously one of our best openers (his world cup 2015 batting was a significant reason we made the final) and the best keeper bat, but those versions were never combined so it's cheating to give him the gloves and expect 2015 levels of batting.
Around the time he was moved to the opening gig full-time (2007, post the World Cup), he had *just* started delivering on his promise as a very good finishing hitter at the death - there were a few big chases against the Aussies then in which he did extremely well. Even if the numbers may not quite support it, for an all-time XI he'd be more valuable as a lower-order keeper-bat with excellent finisher abilities than as opener.