• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 4 - Australia v Zimbabwe

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The whole 'Australianism' thing is dead now though Blaze, surely.
Nah, even with (by popular consensus) the worst test side to pull on the baggy greens for twenty years they still managed to pull an Ashes win at the WACA out from somewhere and, IMHO, Oz are currently a better limited overs outfit, as shown by the 6-1 win in the ODI series that followed. The short form bowling attack definitely looks more dynamic than the test version with Lee and Tait in it.

Still the team to beat for my quid.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
The way things are going so far in this tournament with the minnows, expect Australia to lose by 200 odd runs.

Blaze 18

Banned
Half fit Micheal Hussy is better than many of the current Australian Batsmen
You may be underrating the Australian batsmen a touch, I feel. Haddin, Watson, Ponting, Clarke and White are all fine ODI batsmen. They've had their issues with quality spin in recent times, but I expect them to come good sooner rather than later.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I think this game could be closer then alot of people think, Zimbabwe won't win but i can see them giving us a scare with their bowling. Don't see them having the batting line up to chase down anything near a decent total though.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nah, even with (by popular consensus) the worst test side to pull on the baggy greens for twenty years they still managed to pull an Ashes win at the WACA out from somewhere and, IMHO, Oz are currently a better limited overs outfit, as shown by the 6-1 win in the ODI series that followed. The short form bowling attack definitely looks more dynamic than the test version with Lee and Tait in it.

Still the team to beat for my quid.
We lost against Sri Lanka at home. And Australianism for mine would be coming back from 2-0 down in the Ashes to win 3-2, instead of winning a solitary Test. (Yes I know the 1st Test was a draw)

Nah, I don't think so. Michael Hussey showed us that in the T20 semi-final against Pakistan.
Hussey isn't playing in this World Cup. With him went the last bit of A'ism.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tournament needs Zim to be at least competitive here. Might not get a meaningful game until South Africa take on the West Indies on Thursday. **** scheduling to not have the WC start with any "big" games.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole 'Australianism' thing is dead now though Blaze, surely.
Yeah, indeed. Australia aren't automatically better for being Australia irrespective of the players in the team.

I think this game has upset potential. Obviously Australia are still very likely to win and they may wipe the floor with them, but if Zimbabwe can have a couple of batsmen get in and play well, their never-ending supply of spinners could really trouble Australia and make a game of it if the warmups are anything to go by. It's a shame they buggered up their squad selection and left Masakadza out.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
You define false confidence tbh.
Really? So looking back at India's performances in the last couple of years, you don't think they've improved drastically in terms of mental strength and willpower? India has come back strong from very difficult situations and won games. Not once or twice, but many times recently. Gone are the days when India was a one man team, now guys in the team actually stand up, believe in their abilities, and take on the responsibility to win it for their team. No longer do the players rely on others or one man to do the job, rather each player hold himself responsible. And the results over the last couple of years, and the nature of these results is substantial proof. No longer does India wilt under pressure. As Dhoni said, India have started to turn pressure into responsibility.

Also, don't forget India's poor starts to tours. Yet despite being thrashed, they gut it out and come back hard. I think Gambhir's test performance in the recent South Africa series is a prime example of this. He did not have the ideal technique to succeed in those conditions, yet he showed tremendous heart to battle it out and do so. And let's not forget Pathan's efforts in the ODIs. Yes it is still in the early stages, but notice I never said it is well and alive, rather that it is on the rise.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I don't understand your first sentence.

You're relying on history way too much. We're nowhere near the same outfit as previous occasions. And our middle order will almost definitely bat like dorks, like they did the whole summer.

Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Its pretty simple mate, I'm definitely not talking about the times of the Waughs, Warnes or McGraths; in fact pretty much the same Aussie squad that you are just completly blowing off has in recent times gone onto beat India in India and win the Champions trophy.

White, Clarke and Haddin have form issues but that doesn't mean all of them suddenly become crap cricketers, I think with a rejuvenated Ponting back at helm things are gonna get better or atleast as an Aussie fan I'm hoping that would be the case.

I think not much notice has gone to this but I loved how Ponting gave Haddin a rocket in the media for constantly throwing away his starts with the bat, most other captains won't do this but this is what sets Ponting apart, he hardly minces his words and if anything I'm now definitely expecting better performances from Haddin with the bat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Its pretty simple mate, I'm definitely not talking about the times of the Waughs, Warnes or McGraths; in fact pretty much the same Aussie squad that you are just completly blowing off has in recent times gone onto beat India in India and win the Champions trophy.

White, Clarke and Haddin have form issues but that doesn't mean all of them suddenly become crap cricketers, I think with a rejuvenated Ponting back at helm things are gonna get better or atleast as an Aussie fan I'm hoping that would be the case.

I think not much notice has gone to this but I loved how Ponting gave Haddin a rocket in the media for constantly throwing away his starts with the bat, most other captains won't do this but this is what sets Ponting apart, he hardly minces his words and if anything I'm now definitely expecting better performances from Haddin with the bat.
That’s nice of Punter. Did **** all in the Ashes, done nothing much with the bat for 2 year, scores a few runs in the warm-ups and then starts putting pressure on other batsman to perform.

Spark

Global Moderator
Reading through the article...

"When you come in on wickets like these over here, it's hard to go in and hit the ball straight away because the pace of the wickets, and of the bowlers you're going to face, are a bit more foreign than we're accustomed to," Ponting said. "Even at the top of the order, we know Haddin and Watson are going to score pretty quickly, but Pup [Michael Clarke] and I are going to need to take our time to get set and make sure that we build a partnership and keep wickets in hand through those middle overs."
Let the SR-related moaning commence.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That’s nice of Punter. Did **** all in the Ashes, done nothing much with the bat for 2 year, scores a few runs in the warm-ups and then starts putting pressure on other batsman to perform.
Haha. Just the other day everyone was saying how refreshing it was to hear Dhoni (iirc) say Sreesanth has to up his game. We can't have it both ways - bag standard cliche speak then bag them when they speak their minds.

It's not like Ponting has been out there excluding himself from criticism either.

Just score runs ffs.*

*Hoping in the current climate that doesn't lead to infraction points.