• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 24 - New Zealand v Pakistan

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Got a hunch NZ may nick this one Pakistan are unbeaten but were pushed against Canada big time.
Bazza needs to fire!

Blaze 18

Banned
They weren't pushed big time against Canada, to be fair. They were never really in danger of losing. It was a bit like our match against Ireland yesterday, maybe a touch closer.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
They weren't pushed big time against Canada, to be fair. They were never really in danger of losing. It was a bit like our match against Ireland yesterday, maybe a touch closer.
I disagree with you they were bowled out for 184 which fair enough was a tricky total on that deck but that 100-3 Canada had a real chance, after that Afridi raised his game and was one way traffic.

But for a good stage of that match the upset looked like it was on, that was never the case yesterday when we played Ireland.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Nah they never really had a chance to score 180 against that attack, in my opinion.
I think we will have to agree to disagree! at 100-3 I really thought the chase was on and they had a chance of course that changed shortly after but at that moment they had a real chance IMHO

smash84

The Tiger King
will be a good game usually the Kiwis have been our bitch @ world cup's hopefully the trend continues.
I hope so too

Odds of batting failing? I guess the odds would be something like 13 out of the last 16 times :ph34r:
:laugh:

I think we will have to agree to disagree! at 100-3 I really thought the chase was on and they had a chance of course that changed shortly after but at that moment they had a real chance IMHO
The trouble was that once Canada would let the req run rate slip they would have an uphill task against the Pakistan bowling attack and especially on that pitch. That is exactly what happened. The key against this Pakistan side is to get a good quick start. That would bring Afridi under pressure. None of the sides have managed that so far. Even SL started off slowly, Gul gave away a 16 run over which boosted their run rate otherwise the start was not that great.

Mike5181

International Captain
Misbah Ul Haq and Ross Taylor are the key here. If either of them fail their respective team can see their chances of winning grow thinner. Taylor especially really needs to step up if New Zealand are looking to go through to the later stages of the tournament. I actually think both teams bowling attacks are pretty good. Pakistan could capitalise on a bad Southee/Bennett day though. I have a feeling the New Zealand selectors might see this coming though and play Oram at the expense of probably Bennett. Both teams will be go into the game with a decent amount of confidence, especially Pakistan.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
You've just doomed us to another thirty games of terrible batting. I hope you're happy young man!
What's gone into you man???? You were the guy who was hell bent on proving that Kyle Mills was better than Shahid Afridi in all areas of the game. You seem to have lost all steam????

Flem274*

123/5
What's gone into you man???? You were the guy who was hell bent on proving that Kyle Mills was better than Shahid Afridi in all areas of the game. You seem to have lost all steam????
Mills bias does not equal NZ bias. Did you know we dropped him earlier in this world cup when he was reportedly fit to play?

Mills. Mills.

Mills.:cool:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I would always back Pakistan to beat NZL however Pakistan with 3 wins off 3 I feel might take their foot off the peddle and this is where NZl might capitalize had it been a must win game Pakistan would beat them 7 times out of 10.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think Pakistan will be wide awake for this game, after nearly losing to Canada. They will also be very confident because previous Pakistan teams would have lost that game, but because of their improved fielding and unity they got through.

This Pakistani team is quite strong and balanced in most of the areas. They have a good middle and lower order, with a strong bowling attack. Their only weakness is the top order, which needs to make a strong start; we always do well when the openers get some runs on the scorecard. Another weakness is chasing, so I hope Afridi decides to bowl first.

I predict one of the openers to get 50, and Afridi getting another 5 wicket haul. I also think both Afridi and Razzaq will chip in with the bat tomorrow.

BeeGee

International Captain
It's almost impossible to predict what will happen in this game.
The NZ team has been very inconsistent (especially the batsmen), who knows how they'll perform.
Pakistan have been a lot more consistent, but this isn't a must win game for them and it's hard to know how desperate they'll be to win it.

I hope NZ wins. They need the confidence.
My advice to Dan: Bowl first!!

Blaze 18

Banned
It's almost impossible to predict what will happen in this game.
The NZ team has been very inconsistent (especially the batsmen), who knows how they'll perform.
Pakistan have been a lot more consistent, but this isn't a must win game for them and it's hard to know how desperate they'll be to win it.

I hope NZ wins. They need the confidence.
My advice to Dan: Bowl first!!
:unsure:

Why do you want them to bowl first ? Pakistan would love batting first; that is their strength. If they bat first and post 250 plus, New Zealand will find it very hard to score against their spinners.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pakistani's bowling is much stronger than their batting, especially with Afridi effectively operating as a bowler recently.

The top order has a lot of talent, and has been working well together lately, but I get the impression of it being rather brittle.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
When I saw the headline 'Pallekele set for World Cup debut' I thought we had uncovered a new 150kmph bowler and had flown him over, and got mildly excited.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
When I saw the headline 'Pallekele set for World Cup debut' I thought we had uncovered a new 150kmph bowler and had flown him over, and got mildly excited.
Haha, I too thought Pallekele sounded like a Tongan name. And therefore he should by default play for us :happy:

BeeGee

International Captain
:unsure:

Why do you want them to bowl first ? Pakistan would love batting first; that is their strength. If they bat first and post 250 plus, New Zealand will find it very hard to score against their spinners.
IMO, Pakistan's strength comes from three players: Misbah-ul-Haq, Younis Khan and Shahid Afridi. Any team that wants to beat Pakistan needs to neutralize those three.

NZ's strength comes from Vettori, Mills and Southee. If your strength is your bowling, then bowl first.

The NZ batsmen are poor at setting a total. They always try to push the scoring rate too much, too soon and end up losing early wickets. They look much better when they know what their target is and are able to pace their innings accordingly.

So, my plan for NZ is: Bowl first. Try to put pressure on Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan by taking early wickets and drying up the singles. When NZ bats, don't take any risks against Afridi, just see him off.