• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Malaysia Tri-Series

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm...interesting scenario there...it obviously benefits the Windies to have lost that game. Brings up the question of spirit of cricket. Still good entertainment for the fans I guess.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ClownSymonds said:
Semi-matchfixing here. The Windies gave India every opprotunity to win, first by playing a terrible bowling attack that somehow came good, then by totally messing up their batting order. Good for them - now they still have a chance at a million dollars, and will get it if India can beat Australia. Lara and Tendulkar were a class above, as they should be. If Lara didn't want the mil so badly, he would have come in at least one slot earlier and won the match.
The whole million dollar thing is some thing which is uneasy for me. Why should Windies get money for India reaching the final when it is assumed Windies will play to their best?

The second scenario of choosing your opponent for the final is some thing I don't have a grouse against even though it is assumed it doesn't occur as a team reaches a position they can choose an opponent, they why should they not as that is in the interest of them winning the over all tournament.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Because it's not right that all the effort goes into organising the event, and the crowd arrives to see a team not neccessarily trying to win the match. West Indies didn't throw the match as such, the players selected gave it their best as you'd expect before the Champions Trophy and World Cup.

C'mon...Lara at #9 and opening the bowling with Dwayne Smith, funnily enough they were the two best performances but you can see what was done.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
silentstriker said:
Did Lara go down the order so they can purposefully lose the match?

Somehow, I doubt it.
I aint complaining about Lara's decision to bat at 9, i am just damn happy :D that their trick didn't work..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
James90 said:
Because it's not right that all the effort goes into organising the event..
Yeah for that a series on twenty20 (three maybe) can be played between the teams if Windies want to choose India for the final and have reached a position to do it or increase chance of desired result.

That is just my opinion cos I firmly believe a team should do every thing in a tournament to increase their chances of winning the whole thing. I can see why others maynot agree with it.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ClownSymonds said:
Semi-matchfixing here. The Windies gave India every opprotunity to win, first by playing a terrible bowling attack that somehow came good, then by totally messing up their batting order. Good for them - now they still have a chance at a million dollars, and will get it if India can beat Australia. Lara and Tendulkar were a class above, as they should be. If Lara didn't want the mil so badly, he would have come in at least one slot earlier and won the match.
Okay I'll be honest, I paid Lara off. Not $1 mill though, just some of my $100.

I well and truly crapped my pants there. Thought that money was long gone.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Windies don`t seem fussed at all. Bit strange. Hinds` innings. :D

Well played Tendulkar. You are a gun. Harbhajan MOTM? Why?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Another one for Agarkar. He has bowled so many top deliveries and looked so dangerous. Well deserved.
AA was inspired today. Adelaide Oval 2003, 6-for stuff. Awesome bowling.
adharcric said:
Sreesanth's speeds this over: 88, 89, 90, 87, 88. This is the guy we left out for the CT. :laugh:
Yeah its time to ressurect that thread. The kid may be no star, but he's the best we've got.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:

37 and 3/35? Pretty decent all round performance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden said:

He scored runs + took wickets. Could have gone either way.

Hinds' knock was disgraceful. Some of the worst batting I've seen in a long long time.

Boggvir

Cricket Spectator
Jono said:
but he's the best we've got.
Ouch, we're in trouble then.

No, but they did bowl ok today. They were helped out by crap shots though, but still you have to take what they give you. Lets see if they can keep it up against Australia.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jono said:
AA was inspired today. Adelaide Oval 2003, 6-for stuff. Awesome bowling.

Yeah its time to ressurect that thread. The kid may be no star, but he's the best we've got.
It was awesome to see AA firing. I think he's getting closer and closer to 300 ODI wickets, quite an achievement. I was most impressed by Sreesanth today, why on earth did the selectors leave him out of the Champion's Trophy?

As Jono said, the guy isn't star material yet, but he looks like a real athlete with real potential who can actually bowl quick. Top effort by all the bowlers, although Australia is going to be tough especially with the current form Yuvraj, Dhoni and Sehwag seem to be in.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jono said:
He scored runs + took wickets. Could have gone either way.

Hinds' knock was disgraceful. Some of the worst batting I've seen in a long long time.
Slightly disagree with Hinds there. I thought he tried to play a role, sort of hang around and ensure that he would be there until the very end. I mean he didn't play well, and sure it didn't pay off, but the intent was sort of right. There were plenty of overs to go, with very little runs. But his whole approach was really just a half measure, and it didn't turn out too well in the end with that soft dismissal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
masterblaster said:
Slightly disagree with Hinds there. I thought he tried to play a role, sort of hang around and ensure that he would be there until the very end. I mean he didn't play well, and sure it didn't pay off, but the intent was sort of right. There were plenty of overs to go, with very little runs. But his whole approach was really just a half measure, and it didn't turn out too well in the end with that soft dismissal.
But he didn't try and play it safe and occupy the crease. He was wafting every 3rd ball outside his off stump. Harbhajan almost had him 4-5 times. Its not his S/R or amount of runs which was bad, its the manner he played. India had a sniff every ball they bowled to him, and they knew it too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay a bit on Munaf and why he is curtailing the pace. He addressed the point in an interview in The Hindu some time back.

1) Such pitches leave little margin for error and so he is focussing on line and length.
2) He is focussing first on getting line and length at a better level.

A lot of Indian team mates are urging him to bowl faster as well but this is the way he is going. Pace is a weapon you should not curtail as not every one has pace although obviously line and length are important as well. With Munaf - he extracts superb bounce off an awkward length. So if he puts in a bit more pace and has better control, it would work very well for him.

So if this is a short term strategy, I have no qualms with it.