• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Ireland in England 2020**

Bijed

International Regular
If every batsman just played percentage cricket because it was the sensible thing to do, we probably wouldn't bother watching cricket at all..
Test Cricket would become a bit less enjoyable to watch but I think I'd still enjoy the contest immensely. Limited overs would still be fine because 'exciting' cricket and percentage cricket intersect more in those formats anyway.

And loads of sports which (imo) are visually uninteresting still get perfectly good followings and viewings so it's not a given.

I assume you weren't being 100% literal though :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it lies in the diversity of the types of players who play cricket. If everyone were to play one way it would be boring. I suppose for every guy who loves to play the cover drive, there will be another who can rein it in and that is what makes this sport a great one to watch and follow.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^^ Exactly, variety of styles is what makes cricket so fascinating

I do have a soft spot for the more attacking and elegant players though and allow them more leeway if they aren't producing the goods.

Uppercut

If every batsman just played percentage cricket because it was the sensible thing to do, we probably wouldn't bother watching cricket at all..
OK, but if people kept getting out playing the backhand smash you'd still be like "uh maybe they should not play that shot".

vcs

It's definitely a low percentage shot in England/SA and in general against the new ball. There are even lower percentage shots though, like the hook. You can definitely succeed without them, but being able to play them well adds a big dimension to a batsman's game.

Uppercut

I disagree that percentage cricket would be dull. I think a lot of attacking shots are great percentage options, especially in Australia and the subcontinent. If anything they aren't played as often as they should be because there's a culture of criticising players much more heavily (and also kind of more personally) when they get out attacking than when they get out defending.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I disagree that percentage cricket would be dull. I think a lot of attacking shots are great percentage options, especially in Australia and the subcontinent. If anything they aren't played as often as they should be because there's a culture of criticising players much more heavily (and also kind of more personally) when they get out attacking than when they get out defending.

Well, when you put percentage cricket that way, you can also say many attacking players play shots knowing they are more likely to succeed with those shots than they are with defense. I just meant if every player approached batting in certain conditions the same way, the game would be boring to watch. An appreciation of Pujara's defence need not mean a lack of appreciation for lets' say the strokeplay of a Rohit.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
its not even that ****ing good

you'd think we were watching vvs or michael vaughan the way some commentators lose their minds over it

Yeah but most of the current lot are not as aesthetically pleasing as the previous generations, so I can kinda understand why they lose their **** about it.

Chubb

International Regular
Does anyone know if Cricket Australia will be streaming these games for free, as they did the West Indies tests? I can't find any info about it.

Flem274*

123/5
not playing the cover drive until he's seeing it like a beach ball is probably the biggest differentiator between smith and the other fabbies in how they all play.

individuals put it away for a time (kane on test debut, sangakkara in nz, blundell's 2nd innings at melbourne) but smith is one of the few to shelve it every time he begins his innings unless it's declaration time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Morgan wins the toss and wants to chase.

Ireland leaving out their most experienced players, no Porterfield and no Rankin.

Bijed

International Regular
Interested to see how Mahmood goes. Did pretty well against SA IIRC (although only 1 match) but was really expensive in the T20s he's played.

Curious to see if Willey's tweaked action means better results at all too

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interested to see how Mahmood goes. Did pretty well against SA IIRC (although only 1 match) but was really expensive in the T20s he's played.
This summer I've been waiting to see why Mahmood is the young fast bowler they've picked out as the next man in, tbh. Didn't do especially well in the streamed warmups they played and has generally not taken multiple wickets for ages.

1596114073836.png

His 50-over cricket for Lancashire has been pretty good, but hasn't done better than his contemporaries in the various Lions and tour match outings they all get.