• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The franchise that paid the most got the semi and final. The franchise that paid the second most got the opening match. That was said by the commentators during the final.
Ah interesting - wasn't aware of that (though seems as though I wasn't the only one :happy:)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't think any of Akmal, Tanvir or Graeme Smith (at least right now) are particularly head-strong but rest of the article was excellent.

The other thing one has to add is the fact that this was perhaps the one team that was owned by people with a bit of a cricketing background. They had done cricket based reality shows, they were associated with the Leicestershire team in the English CC.. While so many others thought they could just buy a team, get media exposure for themselves or for their brands (not that it is completely wrong or anything) and juz throw around the green bills and get as many good players as they can, these guys were the only ones who had a strategy planned out right at the start and they stuck to it inspite of a lot of ridicule coming their way. Once you know what you want for sure, getting it or achieving it becomes that much more easier. I believe it is not all Warne's show out there. While one cannot question the impact he had, I believe some credit has to be thrown to the owners who wanted him to be the captain right from the start and placed enough confidence in him and his support staff and didn't impose themselves on the team. That played as much of a part as anything else in their triumph.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think any of Akmal, Tanvir or Graeme Smith (at least right now) are particularly head-strong but rest of the article was excellent.

The other thing one has to add is the fact that this was perhaps the one team that was owned by people with a bit of a cricketing background. They had done cricket based reality shows, they were associated with the Leicestershire team in the English CC.. While so many others thought they could just buy a team, get media exposure for themselves or for their brands (not that it is completely wrong or anything) and juz throw around the green bills and get as many good players as they can, these guys were the only ones who had a strategy planned out right at the start and they stuck to it inspite of a lot of ridicule coming their way. Once you know what you want for sure, getting it or achieving it becomes that much more easier. I believe it is not all Warne's show out there. While one cannot question the impact he had, I believe some credit has to be thrown to the owners who wanted him to be the captain right from the start and placed enough confidence in him and his support staff and didn't impose themselves on the team. That played as much of a part as anything else in their triumph.
Quiet, you. Stop trying to upstage me with a great point! You're making me wish I'd spoken to you before writing the damn thing because I wish I'd written that now. haha

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The definition of head-strong is the state of being unrestrained, the deficiency of being governable or in essence accepting or listening to advice, that’s Graeme Smith in a nutshell. He does not listen to suggestions of how to correct his technique, or how to captain and he (alone) has final unquestionable say of who gets to play for South Africa. His probably one of the most head-strong cricketers around.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The definition of head-strong is the state of being unrestrained, the deficiency of being governable or in essence accepting or listening to advice, that’s Graeme Smith in a nutshell. He does not listen to suggestions of how to correct his technique, or how to captain and he (alone) has final unquestionable say of who gets to play for South Africa. His probably one of the most head-strong cricketers around.
well, you obviously seem to know more about this than I do, but he didn't come across as someone like that from what I have seen.. But happy to take your word on him.

Then again, RSA are doing pretty well, aren't they? It is not like he has been all bad, is it?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Darren Berry also said that the owners came to him and said 'I handle the business, you handle the cricket, and our lines will not cross.' Mallya could learn a lot from that.

biased indian

International Coach
Transfer window is open now and some players are up for sale

don't know how many team will be interested in them

Akthar -- KKN
Zaheer -- RCB and more from RCB
Gibbs -- DC
Rohit sharma -- DC
Afridi -- DC

Edit ....didnt see th IPL 2009 thread by pup..my bad

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
My heart bleeds for the poor rich IPL owners

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Yeah, not to mention making an issue out of Brook pulling out after his grandmother (essentially a mother figure to him) died.
Surely players not chasing money and prioritising themselves as people and/or playing for their country should be applauded.

England centrally contracted players are well paid so if they miss out it may help someone less well paid get a gig.

Shamar Joseph a guy from a village only reachable two hours by boat replaced Wood and will now make money he'd never have expected to make a year ago when he wasn't even playing professional cricket.

That's absolutely class news for him and his family and glad for him Wood has pulled out.

Checks into LSG owner who is worth $3.1 billion a bloke with disgusting wealth that shouldn't exist on this planet. That's more where peoples anger should lie rather than going for the people who are just playthings for them.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The BCCI and franchises are run by baniyas and I mean that in the vulgar, merchant-minded sense. Which is obviously how all business goes but these clowns have zero notion of any higher sentiment to boot or even just the plain optics of how they come across. **** them, good on Brook.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They are not complaining about Harry Brook though. It's about English players in general especially where the ECB asks certain player/s to pull out to take a break (Wood and Atkinson) or player himself decides to take a break.

I don't think it's too big a deal. If certain player/s are more likely to pull out because they have a summer of cricket right after IPL and don't want to get injured etc, then try to buy other players in the auction who are safer bets or don't have a summer of cricket right ahead.

Plus they can sign a replacement anyway.