• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

biased indian

International Coach
IPL is going to struggle. The next time one can see a full- packed stadum may be for the semis.
Too much of cricket is taking the interest off it.

In the next edition of IPL(if any) ,
they should cut down the number of teams to 4.( all metros, Delhi,Mumbai,Calcutta,Chennai)
Also the limit for foreign players should be taken off.
Hyderabad didn't had good people in the first game also....and its not too many games ...its only 7 games in a city ....i think most of the matches will be more than 80% full

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
Had a good look through the Chennai squad in an attempt to find a replacement for Amarnath, who is just going to be mince meat for anyone holding a bat in this tournament. Shocked to find that nearly all the other Indian bowling replacements are spinners - R Ashwin (43 wickets @ 20), S Jakati (84 wickets @ 37), S Kumar (11 wickets @ 21) Sivaramakrishnan (86 wickets @ 29). The only other fast bowling replacements before Ntini and Morkel come are Balaji (still working his way back from injury) and Sudeep Tyagi (42 wickets @ 23 - a ten-for and nine-for) - but he is listed as withdrawn ?

So what he was selected then withdrew because of injury ?? Cos he sure as hell would be better than Amarnath. Tempted to play a second spinner - maybe give Ashwin a go - he'd learn a lot from playing with Murali...

irfan

State Captain
Anyone else finding it hard to cheer international players on your IPL team you previously hated ?

A case in point was when one of my fav players I. Pathan bowled Hayden (see sig) in the CSK vs Mohali match. I was initally ecstatic then went hang on, nooooo. So ****in conflicted right now!

Chaminda, BI experiencing the same thing ???

Steulen

International Regular
So Irfan (and other Indian posters),

Do you really consider yourselves 'fans' of specific teams? I find it very hard to care one bit for the results of games as it is merely one random squad versus another with a thin veneer of city-based patriotism.

Mind, that might change when the Amsterdam Leafblowers snatch Kevin Pietersen and the mighty RTD and make mincemeat of all the other teams.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Do you really consider yourselves 'fans' of specific teams? I find it very hard to care one bit for the results of games as it is merely one random squad versus another with a thin veneer of city-based patriotism.

Mind, that might change when the Amsterdam Leafblowers snatch Kevin Pietersen and the mighty RTD and make mincemeat of all the other teams.
Wel, having my family originating in Bombay I do have a preference for that team over the others and I do want them to win. However I also am happy when other Indian players do well, no matter what team they play for.

I don't know if it is really a "thin veneer" of patriotism existing in India either. Each state and major city here has a unique and proud heritage and thus there is a lot of perceived differentiation between people from different states and a lot of pride in "your people." It's a very unique situation and of all the countries I know of only Spain really (Catalans, Basque, Andalucians etc) is similar.

For an outsider I'm sure evoking any kind of passion is difficult for this but being in India now most people here are quite parochial and you can see from the Hyderabad crowd not cheering Sehwag when he got his fifty that the concept is working.

Give it time for rivalries and familiarity to develop, but I think it will become a mainstay on the Indian domestic calendar.

EDIT: What I think would really get it going, is having more people from each franchises state/city playing in the teams AND performing very well to really get locals fired up for their team. The Icon player idea is a good concept but it'd be even more awesome if there was a local academy system and teams were able to promote quality locals into the team and not just the usual cannon fodder we're getting a lot of now.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain

I don't imagine non-Indians will really give a rats about who to go for in the IPL, as it is in essence an Indian domestic competition and since Chennai is me place of birth, regional bias kicks in. The fact they have a good squad helps as well.

I'd expect the Australian, NZ and WI supporters to switch off as soon as their players leave. I consider myself as a fan of Chennai because it's always good to get one up over one of the more decorated North Indian teams. I don't know maybe it's a similar thing for you when Ajax play PSV. Sure there are some good local players on both sides but it's the international stars that lift the spectacle.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't imagine non-Indians will really give a rats about who to go for in the IPL...
Having chosen Rajasthan right at the start, and them having two really close games, I have to say I have got really into cheering for them now. I can't imagine swapping.

In comparison to English domestic... I have to pick which of them to cheer for depending on the players involved too, as I have never lived in one of the counties that has a first class team. So I don't see it as any different.

irfan

State Captain
Having chosen Rajasthan right at the start, and them having two really close games, I have to say I have got really into cheering for them now. I can't imagine swapping.

In comparison to English domestic... I have to pick which of them to cheer for depending on the players involved too, as I have never lived in one of the counties that has a first class team. So I don't see it as any different.
What if Warne hadn't retired and both he and Watto were picked for the WI tour - then would you still back Rajasthan after they left ??

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What if Warne hadn't retired and both he and Watto were picked for the WI tour - then would you still back Rajasthan after they left ??
Yes, I think so now. I like that they are the 'underdogs'. And I'm English... it's not like I've ever cheered for Warne before. Not in my whole life!

irfan

State Captain
Yes, I think so now. I like that they are the 'underdogs'. And I'm English... it's not like I've ever cheered for Warne before. Not in my whole life!
LOL thought you were Aussie with that Watto avatar. I suspect that you'd be in the minority of international spectators still supporting an IPL team even if you don't have an affinity to the international players of your franchise. For most international supporters, it seems to be which franchise has got my fav players, OK I am going for them and fair enough, I spose, cos they don't have any regional bias to contend with.

Precambrian

Banned
Well TV ratings are still through the roof and killing all the major soaps it's competing with so no chance of them slowing down if that continues.

As for the crowds, it's obvious we'll see a bit of a dip and plateau, but I still think crowds for weekend matches and for the matches between the dominant teams will sell big.

Like any other sport the worst teams will take big crowd hits, so Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians not doing well this tournament is a big blow for organisers and two big cities like that, especially Mumbai need to be leading the way for this tournament for it to take off huge.
As for Mumbai, let Sachi come back from injuy, and his presence alone will ensure a packed stadium for all the next matcehs. Cannot remember the last time I saw a match that had Sachin in it and the stands were less tham 90% empty. Even a Duleep trophy match that i went to see in Chennai some 5 years back (if my memory serves me right) Mumbai Vs rest of India, the stadium pas literally packed despite the extremely bad organisation of the match and the weather.

Precambrian

Banned
Rajajsthan Royals have been truly the Underdogs story of the IPL. They were regarded as everyone's bunnies before the tour, but they have showed real fight spirit.

Diametrically opposite have been the Deccan Chargers, ergarded as the strongest team on paper, with Gilly, Afridi, Symmo, etc, they were deemed unstaoppable, they still are... but only to the bottom of the tables.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL thought you were Aussie with that Watto avatar. I suspect that you'd be in the minority of international spectators still supporting an IPL team even if you don't have an affinity to the international players of your franchise. For most international supporters, it seems to be which franchise has got my fav players, OK I am going for them and fair enough, I spose, cos they don't have any regional bias to contend with.
No... I just <3 Watto. But I'd still cheer for England if he was playing against them. Okay... I had one little moment of weakness when he got Fred out in the champions trophy and I let out a tiny cheer. But I had to berate myself for weeks over it. ;)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rajajsthan Royals have been truly the Underdogs story of the IPL. They were regarded as everyone's bunnies before the tour, but they have showed real fight spirit.

Diametrically opposite have been the Deccan Chargers, ergarded as the strongest team on paper, with Gilly, Afridi, Symmo, etc, they were deemed unstaoppable, they still are... but only to the bottom of the tables.
I couldn't understand how any team with Warnie as leader would be written off so universally pre-tournament. Loving their rise up the table.

I don't think anyone could've predicted the Chargers bowling could've been so atrocious. RP has been rubbish the past two games, Vaasy is on the wane and they're over relying on Symonds to get the job done for them. Afridi the only real bright spot with their bowling so far.

Precambrian

Banned
Warney' been good, but he too been no magician on Indian pitches, remember. And he had hardly much experience in International cricket as captain.

Precambrian

Banned
Anyway the prize for the worst bowler would go for Andrew Symonds at this stage, if his bowling figures are any indicator. oy, he contrived to give Warney 17+ runs in the last over was unimaginable!!!!