• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

************Official IPL 2020******

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reports coming in that it will be held in the UAE from late September until early November.

C'mon CSK, let's do this thang

Shady Slim

International Coach
it's going to be played in the UAE

my question is; so does this mean we will see pakistanis playing or is that still a no go?

tony p

First Class Debutant
It only goes for 53 Days, i'm surprised they didn't try to make it drag longer, you only have to look at the Big Bash to see the issues here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s so annoying that we’ve been starved of cricket but are still getting an IPL, but at the same time I don’t think the T20 WC could be feasibly held in Australia.

Given there wouldn’t be much cricket happening anyways I don’t mind it that much.

DriveClub

International Regular
Will covid hasten the demise of international cricket? Think so franchise sports is easier to plan and organise than international sports amidst a pandemic

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think the ECB have shown the way. Its whether the other boards are desperate enough to do the same thing.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I honestly think the ECB have shown the way. Its whether the other boards are desperate enough to do the same thing.
Imagine the ECB are making a profit with TV rights etc. There might be missed revenue and an overall annual loss but would imagine the additional costs of hosting this match are being offset by the TV revenue they might not receive in full had they not played.

Harder to justify a 'biosecure bubble' for say West Indies v Sri Lanka as a random example when both sides would make losses from hosting the matches and then would make further losses with Covid Testing etc. I have nothing against T20 cricket and follow the IPL very closely - my side are RCB but its a shame that Covid will seemingly just increase the importance of T20 comps for Cricket Boards as well as perhaps increase the influence of India - the threat spoken or unspoken of not playing against a smaller nation even more threatening with several boards likely to take a while to fully recover from effects of Covid.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But other teams can and do make profits hosting others, just not to the extent they may with India. Windies could make money hosting England for instance, I am sure Sri Lanka can make money playing Bangladesh perhaps and so on.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
But other teams can and do make profits hosting others, just not to the extent they may with India. Windies could make money hosting England for instance, I am sure Sri Lanka can make money playing Bangladesh perhaps and so on.
I do slightly question the Sri Lanka v Bangladesh claim but I can't say I'm too sure on the matter but for West Indies hosting England is the only other series that makes them money outside hosting India. If you are not making money each time you tour other nations and lose money every series you host minus one (if India were to cut ties with West Indies). All that would do is lead to lower player wages/welfare, lure more players overseas and to IPL and leave fans further disillusioned decreasing the value of any domestic TV rights. With 'The Big Three' in the recent past it does worry me a bit that one nation (India) holds so much power and can use such power to effectively have a huge say in cricket's future development (which will be based on their own self-interest, like every other nation not reliant on 1 or 2 nations to tour.)