• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Different people can interpret the same wording differently while still being reasonable.
Without threatening to abuse your mod powers, can you explain to me logically how foot landing can come into interpreting this law? Can this law also be interpreted by measuring bowler's heart-beat or by looking at the facial expression of the captain? Maybe when the fielders are not in attention pose any more we can safely assume that the ball has been released?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Give it uuup

Ashwin was a sneaky little ****. Everyone else can own it when their favourite players **** up why can't you
This has nothing to do with Ashwin being my favorite player. Stop assuming baseless things. I would have supported even if this was done by Nathan Lyon. Are you suggesting I wouldn't?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Give it uuup

Ashwin was a sneaky little ****. Everyone else can own it when their favourite players **** up why can't you
Ah is weldone a hardcore Ashwin fan? That would explain it. Never seen him go off the boil like this before.

TheJediBrah

Without threatening to abuse your mod powers, can you explain to me logically how foot landing can come into interpreting this law? Can this law also be interpreted by measuring bowler's heat-beat or by looking at the facial expression of the captain? Maybe when the fielders are not in attention pose any more we can safely assume that the ball has been released?
You keep ignoring that expecting the non-striking batsman to watch the ball right out of the bowler's hand is impractical and dangerous

Daemon

Yeah NotMcKenzie/weldone’s interpretion makes sense.

I just don’t want the batsmen to have to watch the ball all the way out of the bowlers hand every single ball. Anyone who’s played the game would agree that it’s a bit of a pain and also leaves you open to getting rekt by a ball coming straight back at you. It’s never been a thing in cricket so not sure why we should add it now when it doesn’t offer much value.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah Ashwin wasn't in the wrong. He hadn't begun his action when he pulled out and ran Buttler out.

Look, I'm not saying batsmen sold watch the hand and wait for release, but they should at least be aware of where the bowler is and the movements they're making. You can still be looking in the direction of the other batsman and use your peripheral vision to pay attention to what the bowler is doing. Buttler didn't do that and paid the price.

Good. Bowlers shouldn't have too suffer with batsmen backing up without fear of losing their wicket. They should be made to pay attention to the action.

I still maintain that Ashwin is in the right here. He was never expected to release the ball because her never begun his action. Letter and spirit of the law he was out. But the cricketing media loves calling every bowler a bad sportsman for acting within the law because it creates controversy and gets them internet hits.

mr_mister

This has nothing to do with Ashwin being my favorite player. Stop assuming baseless things. I would have supported even if this was done by Nathan Lyon. Are you suggesting I wouldn't?
You've been arguing these really minor points and ignoring the big picture. You're normally a good poster, so I'm questioning the reasoning here.

Ashwin decided way too late to attempt his mankad for it to seem in any way fair or sporting for most people. Butler would naturally assume someone entering his delivery stride would go ahead and bowl like which happens every other ball of every other match.

Ashwin pulling a fast one and then citing a technicality in the rules is sneaky as ****. And if you think bowlers attempting this regularly from now on(think of all the times it'd be unsuccessful but the bowler was just 'testing' the batsman) is in any way a better alternative for the game then what the current system then I don't know what to say

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Ashwin decided way too late to attempt his mankad for it to seem in any way fair or sporting for most people. Butler would naturally assume someone entering his delivery stride would go ahead and bowl like which happens every other ball of every other match.
Minor point: He didn't actually do the bowling part, his arm remained down by his leg, and was a long way from when release would occur

And the law says nothing about the batsman's assumptions

harsh.ag

Without threatening to abuse your mod powers, can you a to me logically how foot landing can come into interpreting this law? Can this law also be interpreted by measuring bowler's heat-beat or by looking at the facial expression of the captain? Maybe when the fielders are not in attention pose any more we can safely assume that the ball has been released?
**** off, you giant piece of ****

harsh.ag

Without threatening to abuse your mod powers, can you explain to me logically how foot landing can come into interpreting this law? Can this law also be interpreted by measuring bowler's heat-beat or by looking at the facial expression of the captain? Maybe when the fielders are not in attention pose any more we can safely assume that the ball has been released?
We're done now.

MrPrez

International Debutant
ashwin mankad.PNG

At the point that Ashwin pulled out of his action, Buttler still has his bat behind the crease. Surely in this scenario you can't be mankaded.

There is no ethical justification for calling this a fair dismissal, even if the laws were to suggest that this is in fact out.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Nah Ashwin wasn't in the wrong. He hadn't begun his action when he pulled out and ran Buttler out.
Are you sure you watched the same video as everyone else?

I'm more interested to know if Hesson gave Ashwin a spray after the game, surely that doesn't fit into Hesson's book about the spirit of cricket. Hahahah.

mr_mister

Minor point: He didn't actually do the bowling part, his arm remained down by his leg, and was a long way from when release would occur

Because he had no intention of bowling the ball imo. The batsman should be allowed to just watch the bowler enter his delivery stride from the corner of his eye. Shouldn't have to worry about watching the arm for release. That's expecting a lot

TheJediBrah

Actually, it absolutely does:

It's because the rule 41.16 explicitly brings the batsmen's expectations into play - "If the non-striker is out of his/her ground from the moment the ball comes into play to the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the bowler is permitted to attempt to run him/her out."

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Actually, it absolutely does:
Not really, as this is an expectation independent of one's position as a non-striker, striker, umpire, fielder, spectator, match referee, ball-boy, groundsman, commentator, Trent Copeland, scoreboard operator, server at the pizza stand, janitor, etc.

More clearly, it does not say, "from the point where the batsman assumes that the bowler, who having not actually started the swing of his arm, will begin to do so and therefore bring the ball to the point where it can be expected to be released."

Because he had no intention of bowling the ball imo. The batsman should be allowed to just watch the bowler enter his delivery stride from the corner of his eye. Shouldn't have to worry about watching the arm for release. That's expecting a lot
Why is it expecting too much?

You're like ***** arguing that the umpire can't watch for no-balls because he's got to think about the paperwork that needs to be in by 11.30 on the day after the match or whether he should get another set of ball-gauges.

It is possible if you give it a go.

And watching until the ball is, y'know, released—or close to it—will prevent any tricks

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pages and pages of discussion on this. How about we all make peace with the fact that there will always be 2 point of views on this.

mr_mister

And watching until the ball is, y'know, released—or close to it—will prevent any tricks

Bingo.