• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
depends on the match context though - getting saini to smack one straight up with a hundred to get's a bit different to managing to trick stokes into throwing it away on the rope, say.

again not all his wickets are this trashy but last night's four for was certainly one to scrutinise hehe
I mean India were definitely still in it when he got Rahul and Pandya out. I'm not sure how much he actually got them out though as opposed to just happening to bowling at the time when they got out. At least Rahul who was caught cover off a full bunger.

Happy to give him some credit for the Hardik one I suppose.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean India were definitely still in it when he got Rahul and Pandya out. I'm not sure how much he actually got them out though as opposed to just happening to bowling at the time when they got out. At least Rahul who was caught cover off a full bunger.

Happy to give him some credit for the Hardik one I suppose.
Yeah no the spell last night wasn't that impressive, credit to him for the hardik and dhawan dismissal's, was more just impressed by how consistently he was taking wickets.

Shri

Mr. Glass
since 2019, maxwell and stoinis ie the 5th bowlers, have bowled 250 overs for 20 wickets at an economy rate of basically 6 an over

this is, to be clear, not good
that is actually decent tbh considering how most other 5th/6th bowlers are doing around the world

aussie tragic

International Captain
since 2019, maxwell and stoinis ie the 5th bowlers, have bowled 250 overs for 20 wickets at an economy rate of basically 6 an over

this is, to be clear, not good
Digging deeper, Maxwell hasn't taken a wkt in his last 14 ODIs and since 2019 has only 5 wkts @ 155.60 (27 matches)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Those 5th bowler stats are not that but gotta contextualize that to the scores being made at that time to get the real picture.

That said, given the WC will be in India in 2023, perhaps they should try out Agar as the #7 ahead of the rest. Also gets them additional left hander in the batting line up.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shady Slim,
When it comes to bowlers modes of dismissal I agree with your slogan. Ha!

you've got to be good to be lucky, you've got to be lucky to be good

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As someone who has watched green since he got his Australia u19 calls up vs Pakistan a few years back I can tell you that he is a genuine allrounder option in white ball, he has a good yorker and slower ball and a deceptive bouncer with the height and pace to use it effectively.

Whether he's at his best right now coming back from an injury is a different question, but when you look at the other options in the squad/in Australia I can say with 100% confidence that he is our best option as a limited-overs allrounder behind marsh even when he's not at 100%, which based on the bit he bowled in the shield (small sample size tbh) he looks like he's back near 100%.
Hopefully like Cummins he will pass the stress fracture phase and out the other side.
All the talk I get from those that should know is that he is genuine allrounder material.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Shady Slim,
When it comes to bowlers modes of dismissal I agree with your slogan. Ha!

you've got to be good to be lucky, you've got to be lucky to be good
hah fair enough mate, and it's a losers' exercise to try to judge a bowler's dismissals individually with a fine tooth comb, imagine doing it for every single run a batsman gets - so yeah there's some point where i've probably got to come off my hill and say zampa is probably good

glad we aren't carrying an offie as our prime spinner in our LOI squad i'll give him that much - always preferred a leggie myself, myself being a part timer of the discipline

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its an issue with the system right now coz India can do as they please in terms of overrate, cos they get automatic qualification to the WC yet Australia may actually lose the Super League points here. :laugh:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
A topic I'd like to raise re.Pat Cummins - is he a good white ball bowler?

He's a phenomenal test match bowler (stats in the last couple of years prove this) as he consistently hits a good length with a little bit of movement either way. Also has a terrific bumper and is equally adept bowling back of a length at pace
Does this really lend itself to ODI's/T20s? I mean, he's a decent bowler in these formats, but I'd like to think Australia would have better options they could explore (Abbott, Sams, Jhye Richardson are three names that come to mind)
My main concern is that his workload becomes too overwhelming, and that his effectiveness in tests could decrease. I'd hope the selectors are monitoring this frequently, as turning him into an all-formats bowler imo is not the right way to go

EDIT : As a spectator I'd love to see him solely concentrate on Test matches, but I know that isn't going to happen. The likelihood is that he's going to be groomed for the captaincy role (maybe 2-3 years away)

Gob

International Coach
Making a fast bowler the captain is a risk as big as my penis (means very big).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
A topic I'd like to raise re.Pat Cummins - is he a good white ball bowler?

He's a phenomenal test match bowler (stats in the last couple of years prove this) as he consistently hits a good length with a little bit of movement either way. Also has a terrific bumper and is equally adept bowling back of a length at pace
Does this really lend itself to ODI's/T20s? I mean, he's a decent bowler in these formats, but I'd like to think Australia would have better options they could explore (Abbott, Sams, Jhye Richardson are three names that come to mind)
My main concern is that his workload becomes too overwhelming, and that his effectiveness in tests could decrease. I'd hope the selectors are monitoring this frequently, as turning him into an all-formats bowler imo is not the right way to go

EDIT : As a spectator I'd love to see him solely concentrate on Test matches, but I know that isn't going to happen. The likelihood is that he's going to be groomed for the captaincy role (maybe 2-3 years away)
I don't have the stats on hand but Cummins ODI stats have been dreadful since the 2015 world cup when he's been bowling first change, averages >32 if memory serves.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he had a decent WC last year but I truly CBF looking it up

Someone must rate him in LO formats though, given he just got a couple of $Mill from the IPL.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought he had a decent WC last year but I truly CBF looking it up

Someone must rate him in LO formats though, given he just got a couple of $Mill from the IPL.
He's been great in t20I's for aus and the bbl, that's why I specified ODI and not white ball in general.

Also, found the stat I was talking about. Cummins has 31 wickets at 38 bowling first change in odi's since the 2015 world cup. In the same time frame has 45 wickets @ 24 opening the bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bowling first change is always gonna suck from an averages perspective in ODIs though. The shine has been hit off the ball, the slips are gone, the field is spread and the batsmen are usually looking primarily just to rotate the strike.

It is a bigger gap than would be normal but a substantial gap certainly would be normal.

Flem274*

123/5
cummins has always been respectable rather than ****in amazing in odis. he's still no joke, just more of an exaggerated dale steyn when it comes to the gap between his test and odi cricket.