• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2010

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again Sachin > warne. Today he outthought warne as captain also. Warne brought in long on and long off and asked his bowlers to pitch it short, considering Sachin has not been using the pull that much. Out came the slap/pull sixes right from the 90s!
A superb tactical battle, it must be said. Watson's bouncers being hit over mid on and off was a sight to see.

Sir Alex

Banned
Strange statement - if you score the most runs, you deserve it

Not really rocket science

The time has come for Warne to pick the best players in the correct order - his pandering to local interests is not only bordering on the farcical but will only serve to see his team eliminated
Doesn't he have confidence in his own ability? Almost always make pathan bowl in the powerplays. Sometimes it seems he is innovating for the sake of it. He should've opened the batting with watson, with pathan coming in at 4 or max 5. Today pathan came in when the match was all but lost. Dire stuff.

Lol at your comment about pandering to local interests. If anyone is given a complete free hand in the team's functioning it's him. Amazing how much confidence royals owners have in him. He gets the players he want, even if they're **** like martyn. And I am sure crowds would love to watch more watson and pathan than Fazal or jhunjhunwala.

Sir Alex

Banned
A superb tactical battle, it must be said. Watson's bouncers being hit over mid on and off was a sight to see.
Yep and Warne's mental disintegration tactics which paid off well on lesser indian players, seemed fire him up. Almost a masterclass in how to perform in such hostile environment and yet time your innings beautifully particulary about how not to get carried away by verbals.

Tiwary the Dhoni clone would do well to have learnt a harsh but good lesson today. Even rayudu too.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep and Warne's mental disintegration tactics which paid off well on lesser indian players, seemed fire him up. Almost a masterclass in how to perform in such hostile environment and yet time your innings beautifully particulary about how not to get carried away by verbals.

Tiwary the Dhoni clone would do well to have learnt a harsh but good lesson today. Even rayudu too.
Hey Sir Alex, could you provide a link to that IPL interactive scoreboard thingy with links to match highlights? Missed Sachin's innings today, would like to watch it. Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT : Never mind, found it. The site is iplt20.com

Last edited:

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
So I was watching a few IPL matches on youtube and I have no idea why these players take it so seriously. I mean yes they should give their 100% but getting emotionally invested in it is kinda ridiculous since this supposed to be just entertainment. Someone should really rush Sreesanth to a hospital or something, after watching him get so worked up over an IPL match I'm convinced that the guy has some serious mental issue, he is angry all the time, at this rate he is going to have a brain-anuerism.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So I was watching a few IPL matches on youtube and I have no idea why these players take it so seriously. I mean yes they should give their 100% but getting emotionally invested in it is kinda ridiculous since this supposed to be just entertainment. Someone should really rush Sreesanth to a hospital or something, after watching him get so worked up over an IPL match I'm convinced that the guy has some serious mental issue, he is angry all the time, at this rate he is going to have a brain-anuerism.
If you do **** you lose your contract, or have it downgraded.

Same reason why you try hard at your job that pays you well.

Maximus0723

State Regular
This post is ridiculous. Cricket itself is played for entertainment regardless of the format.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think some people on this board tend to be rather naive about what motivates professional cricketers. It's not primarily about playing for your country or playing "serious cricket" though that may be quite important as well. It's ultimately about making money and building a career, the same as most normal people. Sure many cricketers do also care about their legacy and their team but that's probably not the main reason they are playing. How many of these cricketers would still be in the game if it was purely amateur and offered no money? Not more than a handful if that.

So obviously IPL players take it seriously. They are professionals and this is the most lucrative cricket tournament in history.

pasag

RTDAS
I think some people on this board tend to be rather naive about what motivates professional cricketers. It's not primarily about playing for your country or playing "serious cricket" though that may be quite important as well. It's ultimately about making money and building a career, the same as most normal people. Sure many cricketers do also care about their legacy and their team but that's probably not the main reason they are playing. How many of these cricketers would still be in the game if it was purely amateur and offered no money? Not more than a handful if that.

So obviously IPL players take it seriously. They are professionals and this is the most lucrative cricket tournament in history.
Whilst everything you say is 100% correct, I think it's more a case of competitive instincts kicking in once they get on the field and all that other career stuff becomes secondary till they get off it. Also the bonding between players and sense of team shouldn't be understated either. But yeah, what motivates a player is a very complex thing made up of many factors.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whilst everything you say is 100% correct, I think it's more a case of competitive instincts kicking in once they get on the field and all that other career stuff becomes secondary till they get off it. Also the bonding between players and sense of team shouldn't be understated either. But yeah, what motivates a player is a very complex thing made up of many factors.
AWTA.. I think all the reasons Dissector and Pasag have mentioned do play a part in the motivation of a cricketer in any tournament, not just the IPL... I know for sure that some guys in the RR really play well as a RESPONSE to Warne and the way he treats them... You tend to go the extra yard for your captain when they push the right buttons for you. Though I suppose that works in any sport.

mirchy

Cricket Spectator
MI through. Tendulkar again taking the team home. Good on him. I think Jayasuriya has lost it and his final retirement is just round the corner. He'll need to head his constituency efficiently in parliament anyway and pay back the trust vested in him, even without him having the requisite qualifications.

The blond bully venting his frustration on a young rookie and patting himself on the back for having enticed him into a rash shot. Surprised Warnie didn't put him in his place even after the umpire warned him. After all he did sign the fairplay board. The idiot just can't leave his bad manners at home. Its not so much his bouncers or bowling in general, its his foul-mouthing youngsters who have the temerity to smash him all over the place. I'm glad Sachin put him in his place. He suddenly turned into a meek lamb after a few consecutive fours.

I reckon MI will finally be joined by Bangalore, Delhi and one of Rajasthan/Deccan in the semis. Just a hunch.

pasag

RTDAS
Strange for the arguably best player of T20 in the world right now not to be in the squad.
Was just thinking that Kumble might be the best Twenty20 spinner in the world as well, haven't looked at his stats but he's just so hard to score off. Would certainly have him in the Indian starting XI before any other Indian spinner.