• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2010

Jayzamann

International Regular
Incorrect - The IPL is all about the Indian players.

The IPL is primarily and Indian market competition and commercially the Indian big boys have all the pull. Obviously the overseas players add to its reputation but make no mistake the IPL is all about INDIA
I do agree that it is a great vehicle for exposing new Indian talents. Giving people a chance in front of a huge stage that they wouldn't normally be afforded is amazing. Virat Kohli has a lot to thank Lalit Modi about. I'd also credit Nehra's successes in IPL with his recall to the national limited overs side.

On the other hand, it is the international players and those from India who already have international contracts which dominate the actual competition. Having retired Australians and competent-but-seldom-available internationals stomp all over the quotas of young Indians is debatable as to whether it is for the money generated or the future generation of Indian crickets.

Shri

Mr. Glass
He waited till the morning on auction day and pulled out very late. The reasoning seems logical to me. No way to know for sure.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that's what I figure. No way to know for sure, and therefore it can't be right to speculate with authority. He quite possibly just decided against the IPL at the last minute. Maybe he had genital warts.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well that's what I figure. No way to know for sure, and therefore it can't be right to speculate with authority. He quite possibly just decided against the IPL at the last minute. Maybe he had genital warts.
I can see how that happened. Akhtar and Ponting at KKR, Clarke with Ponting at other times. Boom!!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Always seemed to me like he just set an over-inflated price on his head. Playing in the tournament never seemed like a big deal to him, but if someone was prepared to pay a stupid, over-the-odds amount then he was prepared to take the cash.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Quite likely tbh. A win-win really.

I hate the guy, but I don't think he was actually embarrassed that no one wanted him, if that was the case.

Sir Alex

Banned
:laugh: What. Grant Eliott and Lou Vincent got through but Martin Guptill didn't, weird.

Modi showing how classless he is though with his comment on the English players by saying they wouldn't be missed. Does he realise that the only reason his tournament is followed is because of the international players?
Well, if the last IPL was any indication, they really wouldnt' be missed by many.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
How much does the IPL overlap with the county season this year? If it's anything significant, I'm definitely hoping Foster doesn't get picked up. I don't want Essex to start the season without Foster, Napier and Bopara, that would be rubbish.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The first County match will be played on April 9, so the English players will be available in the first half of the IPL. Among that Essex trio, Bopara will be missed most as he opens the batting for Punjab, though he doesn't appear to be a very impressive T20 bat. Napier will be crucial for Essex, but strangely, Mumbai Indians have used him rather sparingly.

Will the Australian domestic players be available for the IPL? There were questions raised about that issue earlier.

Craig

World Traveller
Ok, I'll admit it, I have never heard of Yusuf Abdulla and Rory Kleinveldt who are both from South Africa.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The first County match will be played on April 9, so the English players will be available in the first half of the IPL. Among that Essex trio, Bopara will be missed most as he opens the batting for Punjab, though he doesn't appear to be a very impressive T20 bat. Napier will be crucial for Essex, but strangely, Mumbai Indians have used him rather sparingly.
I thought the new rules this year were that they weren't allowed to miss IPL for home domestic competitions? Maybe I'm just confused.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Will the Australian domestic players be available for the IPL? There were questions raised about that issue earlier.
I think the Aussie domestic players will not be available for the first few rounds of the IPL, especially if there side is still in contention with making the final.

IPL starts March 12, which is day 3 (of 4) of the last Shield match of the season, excluding the two teams that make the final.

So I reckon anyone that doesn't make the Shield final will be able to be in India from March 15th, so missing just 1 or 2 matches, The Shield final finishes March 21

I would be pretty annoyed if some of the best cricketers pulled out of the last shield game just so they could play in India.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Is the IPL auction exciting or stupid? | Barney Ronay | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Some brutally amusing bits, especially:

It must be thrilling, and frightening, to have your worth so mercilessly totted up. Perhaps not for Trott and Eoin Morgan, hard-bitten hired guns for whom the IPL is a natural home. But you fear for the Scratchcard hopefuls Usman Afzaal and rank outsider Anthony McGrath, whose defiant yen to play at the IPL after resigning the Yorkshire captaincy brings to mind the kind of ballsy middle-aged divorcee who gets her hair done and buys a sports car with the number plate PARTIGRL and goes off on a riotous waiter-fellating cruise of the Greek islands.

morgieb

66 overseas players in final IPL auction list | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

In 3 days time, we will find out who goes where for 2010.

Here are my auction predictions:

Australia: Brad Haddin and Doug Bollinger should show interest, and Phil Hughes's high T20 average might get him some interest.

England: Eoin Morgan's star is rapidly rising, which could get IPL people interested, and Graeme Swann's been one of the best bowlers this year....

Pakistan: Afridi's a compulsive slogger and a great T20 bowler, which means he should go somewhere. Umar Gul and Sohail Tanvir are awesome T20 bowlers, Mohammad Aamer and Umar Akmal are awesome talents, Abdul Razzaq's an exciting all-rounder, and there are probably many others on the list too....

South Africa: Johan van der Wath is probably cheap, Tyron Henderson is a gun at T20, and Wayne Parnell's an awesome talent.

Sri Lanka: No-one really excites me here...

West Indies: Kieron Pollard's gun, and Kemar Roach is pretty good too.

New Zealand: Shane Bond's the big name here.

Others: Shakib's obviously good. I'd consider RTD, but I'd doubt he'd get picked.