• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India tour of Ireland and England 2022

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

This needs to be a thread - 'What is BazBall'
Definition of Bazball - noun - an aggressive strategy that leaves unlookers uncertain about whether its implementation reflects ingenious forward-thinking or excessive recklessness to the point of stupidity, or even whether it exists at all.

E.g. TH's head is going to explode when he wakes up and sees that Bazball came up trumps again.

ashley bach

International Captain
May as well call this out. England just produced 3 incredible chases in a row in one series, at some stage they're not going to get one right. To call it embarrassing is pretty out there. These are cricketers, not cyborgs, they're going to fall in their mission at some stage.
Yeah while it's very unlikely India get up now, it wouldn't be crazy if they did.
Embarrassing is something extreme, like losing the Americas cup when you have a 9 race lead.

Spark

Global Moderator
Genuinely think that a big part of the historic difficulty of chasing 250+ totals in the 4th innings is down to psychological factors. Don't get me wrong, chasing these sorts of totals is difficult and teams will fail most of the time. But that fact often leads teams into a negative, "conserve wickets and take it deep" mindset that often leads to sides passing up scoring opportunities, which only makes things harder when they get the inevitable unplayable delivery that exposes the new batsmen to a buoyed bowling attack and tricky conditions.
Psychological factors has always been why I've been sceptical of 4th innings chases in general and why I've repeatedly said on here that chases are hard beyond what objective pitch conditions would suggest. But this sort of approach radically changes things and flips it on its head; now it's the bowling side under psychological pressure to get control of the game or it'll be over bar the shouting before they can even react.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This has been an amazing test match. What is really good to see even though its my team that is losing, is how Bairstow, Root, Crawley and Lees played to the situation than any real bazball nonsense. They just took advantage of a flat deck, ball not doing much and overcame one of the biggest puzzles of all time - how teams freeze in 4th innings chases even when the conditions are good.

AFAIC, India came in cold with no prep and actually fought well till our familiar 3rd innings batting woes hit us. I still think we could have bundled them out for a lot lesser even in the 1st innings but all said and done, almost everyone except Virat got themselves out in the batting line up and you dont deserve to win many tests when you literally throw 9 of your wickets away in a single test inning. While the bowling should and will be questioned for not defending a defendable target the 3rd consecutive time, the real issues have always been us throwing wickets away in the 3rd inning. Hopefully Dravid addresses that.

Also there is no shame in losing to a team who is playing better cricket and that is England at this point. We have made some mistakes but the overall standard of the game has been pretty good and we are just being beaten by a better side. Sometimes just gotta accept that.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This ain't done yet. An early wicket and the game changes. Though if this pair bat out the opening 30-40 minutes we will probably win before lunch. Been a great chase so far but we aren't there yet.

greg

International Debutant
Psychological factors has always been why I've been sceptical of 4th innings chases in general and why I've repeatedly said on here that chases are hard beyond what objective pitch conditions would suggest. But this sort of approach radically changes things and flips it on its head; now it's the bowling side under psychological pressure to get control of the game or it'll be over bar the shouting before they can even react.
It’s not difficult to draw parallels with one day cricket. The approved approach on a flat pitch in one day cricket is “win toss, bat first, runs on the board, scoreboard pressure.”

England almost always bat second and then basically just say “whatever you get, we’ll chase it”. This actually has the bonus of flipping the “scoreboard pressure” aspect, because teams batting first literally have no idea what sort of score they need to even be competitive.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Google tells me that the name "Baz" means royal or kingly from Greek. It is derived from the same Greek word as the word for the herb basil.

Meanwhile Baz Luhrmann's name is from a school nickname from Basil Brush bcos of his hairstyle and then he changed his name by deed poll to Bazmark (his original name was Mark). Also as we know McCullum is called Baz as his middle name is Barrie. Barry/Barrie becomes Baz (or Bazza) like Darren becomes Dazza, Aaron Azza, Sharon Shazza etc.

Last edited:

The Great One

Cricket Spectator
I support 2 test teams. Australia and any team playing against India. So I hope the Poms clean them up today. I can’t stand Kohli being the sole reason. I see Bairstow being a big threat in the 2023 Ashes series. Hope our think tank has started to make plans on how to reduce his run output.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Happy England win with ease day people

India have no ideas and are shell shocked. They will want to get the match finished soon. Bairstow & Root will get their 100s and it will be a good day. Sure we draw the series, India will be happy with that if there was a 5 match series 4-0 or 5-0 to England would be the score. We are the best in the world and are improving, Their are holes to fill and this will happen in time. You may call this arrogance but i call this realism the new world order has come and South Africa are next

Tom Flint

International Regular
Google tells me that the name "Baz" means royal or kingly from Greek. It is derived from the same Greek word as the word for the herb basil.

Meanwhile Baz Luhrmann's name is from a school nickname from Basil Brush bcos of his hairstyle and then he changed his name by deed poll to Bazmark (his original name was Mark). Also as we know McCullum is called Baz as his middle name is Barrie. Barry/Barrie becomes Baz (or Bazza) like Darren becomes Bazza, Aaron Azza, Sharon Shazza etc.
Since when has anyone named Darren been called bazza?