• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India tour of Ireland and England 2022

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's abundantly clear that teams defending 4th innings scores do not really know how to react mentally to a side which approaches chases like this, the sense of panic and chaos it induces in the fielding captain has been palpable in these four games.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What's got me ****ed is that for nearly 150 years test cricket has been played under the false premise that batting last is difficult??? And yet it turns out it's realy quite easy. Amazing when you think about it tbh.
Genuinely think that a big part of the historic difficulty of chasing 250+ totals in the 4th innings is down to psychological factors. Don't get me wrong, chasing these sorts of totals is difficult and teams will fail most of the time. But that fact often leads teams into a negative, "conserve wickets and take it deep" mindset that often leads to sides passing up scoring opportunities, which only makes things harder when they get the inevitable unplayable delivery that exposes the new batsmen to a buoyed bowling attack and tricky conditions.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brahs in the course of history the wickets tend to deteriorate a lot more making batting last difficult. The last few games conditions haven't gotten that much worse for batting by the end of the game, not surprising chasing hasn't been as hard as you would normally expect

Shady Slim

International Coach
Brahs in the course of history the wickets tend to deteriorate a lot more making batting last difficult. The last few games conditions haven't gotten that much worse for batting by the end of the game, not surprising chasing hasn't been as hard as you would normally expect
i think the idea isn't that wickets don't deteriorate whatsoever, obviously it's a factor on most pitches (though like as you point out not on all), more that there's also a timidity teams approach chases with that makes things more difficult and means that the bowling team can front-run when they get one or two wickets

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think the idea isn't that wickets don't deteriorate whatsoever, obviously it's a factor on most pitches (though like as you point out not on all), more that there's also a timidity teams approach chases with that makes things more difficult and means that the bowling team can front-run when they get one or two wickets
I'm just saying you can't look at the last few games and say "oh geez chasing isn't that hard not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of it for all these years"

Like try doing it on a ****ed pitch with massive cracks and footmarks with one ball an over rolling

Shady Slim

International Coach
a game that happened here comes to mind on this one, excellent game that it was. india australia at adelaide 2014.

india 242/2 and they had 122 to win so, with eight in hand they'd done two thirds of the work, made harris, johnson, and lyon all seem impotent. lyon bowled so well that game and yet for a long time india were well on top of him. 8/73 later and they're all done. the pitch was far from perfect and lyon again did bowl well, but that's a great example of my mind where despite the score situation objectively favouring india at the point that it turned, you still sort of felt australia was always on top because wimbo wumbo it's the fourth

Chrish

International Debutant
Chasing over +250 is incredibly difficult and +300 is nearly impossible in SC.. Outside you have a realistic chance as wickets in SENA don’t usually crumble.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On that point everyone’s talking like the game is over, but with England’s long tail an India win is still very possible. Bumrah and Shami should be fresh enough to bowl for an hour unchanged in the morning, if they can make a couple of breakthroughs early then it could all unravel very quickly.

Shady Slim

International Coach
On that point everyone’s talking like the game is over, but with England’s long tail an India win is still very possible. Bumrah and Shami should be fresh enough to bowl for an hour unchanged in the morning, if they can make a couple of breakthroughs early then it could all unravel very quickly.
which incidentally is exactly what happened in the game i mentioned above - saha departed at six down with not many to get but it was already over at that point

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The same thing happened when India toured NZ in 2014. Baz will remember - he got a double hundred in that test a week before he got a triple.

India were chasing 407 to win with Kohli and Dharwan. They were on a score that Benaud would love (222 for 2) when Wagner got Kohli. Prior to that they were coasting. All out for 366. NZ won by 40.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just saying you can't look at the last few games and say "oh geez chasing isn't that hard not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of it for all these years"

Like try doing it on a ****ed pitch with massive cracks and footmarks with one ball an over rolling
Did you think my post was serious?