• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Borges

International Regular
He does not have enough first class matches under his belt. If they see a lot of promise in him, and if he is to be thrown into the deep end right away, do it first against the West Indies (they have a decent pace attack) on batsman friendly wickets at home, and see how it goes from there.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done England, but massively disappointed in India. Had given them a genuine shot of winning the series, since I didn't think England were much better than average. I'm still not sure they are.

Jeez India blew some moments though. Not helped by those middle/lower order collapses, Ashwin's relative toothlessness; & worst of all, an inability to dismiss Curran. That's gotta to be up there with Harbhajan's batting vs. NZ in 2010 for the sheer annoyance factor.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Well done England, but massively disappointed in India. Had given them a genuine shot of winning the series, since I didn't think England were much better than average. I'm still not sure they are.

Jeez India blew some moments though. Not helped by those middle/lower order collapses, Ashwin's relative toothlessness; & worst of all, an inability to dismiss Curran. That's gotta to be up there with Harbhajan's batting vs. NZ in 2010 for the sheer annoyance factor.
Just goes to show that India is clearly not the runaway #1 in the world, but despite the 4-1 loss, probably still the best team overall at the moment. India have competed in England and South Africa (Australia next...). The same can't be said for the other teams who were all blown away big time in India.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's odd to think that all the talk before the series that the heatwave would create pitches that would suit India's spinner(s) far more than the quicks. That all seems a long time ago now.
Both sides must be wondering how England managed to win four games given the state of their top order.

Maybe the men of the series should be the groundsmen responsible for the wickets. Cricket is so much more interesting when sides aren't racking up 500+ scores.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's winning is proof that the only thing that matters is that runs are scored, it does't matter where in the batting order. As for their fielding, what did the final drop count end up being?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England's winning is proof that the only thing that matters is that runs are scored, it does't matter where in the batting order. As for their fielding, what did the final drop count end up being?
I'd guess the drop count ended up not as bad as we feared after the first couple of tests. I know Jennings missed a few throughout the series, but I don't remember as many going down in the later tests as at Edgbaston. Admittedly I didn't watch it live though. Perhaps it helped that Root decided to man up and field in the slips.

As for the batting order, this series has only made the situation even more complicated with Woakes' hundred and Curran's match winning scores at Edgbaston and Southampton. Now we have six players who shouldn't be batting in the top 5 but can make serious contributions from 6 to 8.

He who scores the most runs wins. That's what cricket is. The bowlers must be capable of bowling the opponent out for fewer runs.

I'd guess the drop count ended up not as bad as we feared after the first couple of tests. I know Jennings missed a few throughout the series, but I don't remember as many going down in the later tests as at Edgbaston. Admittedly I didn't watch it live though. Perhaps it helped that Root decided to man up and field in the slips.

As for the batting order, this series has only made the situation even more complicated with Woakes' hundred and Curran's match winning scores at Edgbaston and Southampton. Now we have six players who shouldn't be batting in the top 5 but can make serious contributions from 6 to 8.
England shouldn't be afraid to leave Broad out to accommodate Curran, Stokes, Ali and Woakes at home. Broad is a weak fielder and a weak batter. He had the worst bowling average apart from Rashid. He stopped Curran or Woakes grabbing the new cherry. England can be less traditional with the balance of their side to improve it. There was no need for Jennings either.

1. Cook
2. Burns
3. Ali
4. Root
5. Bairstow/Pope/Hildreth/Buttler/Stokes
6. Stokes/Buttler
7. Buttler (wk) / Bairstow (wk)
8. Curran
9. Woakes
10. Rashid
11. Anderson

In hindsight this would have been England's best side to play the series with. I held back from being ruthless on Bairstow. I cannot fathom why England would think Broad is bringing more to the side than a player like Curran or Woakes at home. I therefore believe they don't. I believe it's just about keeping some sub-groups happy as England are very cliquey.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
People ITT seriously underrating how difficult it is to win against England in England in the last ten years

harsh.ag

Team of the series:

Alastair Cook
KL Rahul
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Joe Root
Moeen Ali
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler +
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Jasprit Bumrah
James Anderson

Hard to leave out Ishant, but can't have so many bowlers (6 already) and this team required deep batting to shore up its batsmen's failures.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

To me it's really rammed home something I've thought for a like while -- that Stokes should focus on his batting.

To be clear, I don't mean "focus on his batting" as a euphemism for "should give up bowling". Of course he should still bowl, and his bowling should still be taken into account when balancing the side.. but given so many other allrounders exist in the setup and so few other batsmen, it's really in the best interest of the side that he devotes as much time as possible to becoming the best batsman he can right now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Team of the series:

Alastair Cook
KL Rahul
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Joe Root
Moeen Ali
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler +
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Jasprit Bumrah
James Anderson

Hard to leave out Ishant, but can't have so many bowlers (6 already) and this team required deep batting to shore up its batsmen's failures.
It's quite funny that Stokes and Moeen get spots at 5 and 6, each averaging less than 30 with the bat. I don't think you're wrong to do that; it's just funny. Rahul actually averaged less than 30 as well but at least he tonned up.

harsh.ag

Just realized that team has 12 players!

Out goes Pujara.

Alastair Cook
KL Rahul
Joe Root
Virat Kohli
Moeen Ali
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler +
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Jasprit Bumrah
James Anderson

harsh.ag

It's quite funny that Stokes and Moeen get spots at 5 and 6, each averaging less than 30 with the bat. I don't think you're wrong to do that; it's just funny. Rahul actually averaged less than 30 as well but at least he tonned up.
Bangin' shortage of actual batsmen to be sure. Maybe have Moeen at 3 and Root at 5 since that's what Root seems to prefer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just realized that team has 12 players!

Out goes Pujara.

Alastair Cook
KL Rahul
Joe Root
Virat Kohli
Moeen Ali
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler +
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Jasprit Bumrah
James Anderson
Bangin' shortage of actual batsmen to be sure. Maybe have Moeen at 3 and Root at 5 since that's what Root seems to prefer.
I'd just cut Stokes instead. He bowled pretty well but not better than any of the actual bowlers, and Moeen out-allroundered him. Making a ton in the top order should really be an instant qualification for the team, haha.

FBU

International Debutant
1st Test

Kohli dropped on 21 by Malan off Anderson
Kohli dropped on 51 by Malan off Stokes - makes 149 (total 128 runs)
Pandya dropped on 0 by Cook off Stokes - makes 22 runs
Vijay dropped on 2 by Malan off Anderson - makes 6 runs

2nd Test

Rahane dropped on 5 by Root off Broad - makes 18 runs
Kohli dropped on 23 by Buttler off Woakes - out next ball
Pandya on 11 (Buttler reacts late and misses a catch of Woakes) - out next ball
Ashwin on 10 Rashid loses the ball in flight off Woakes - makes 29

3rd Test

Rahane on 57 dropped by Anderson off Woakes - makes 81
Pandya on 14 dropped by Jennings of Broad - makes 18
Ashwin on 14 dropped by Pope off Anderson - makes 14
Dhawan on 33 dropped by Cook off Woakes - makes 44